Notices

Trading in for new Evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This aint an american car where all hell breaks loose after 60k, if you keep the tune safe and oil changes frequent, hell i dont even think you track the car) it should last 7 years minimum. A new car wont change the problem, itll just delay the inevitable plus itll cost a hell of a lot more 25% depreciation once off the lot is no joke. Do the math and tell us that 40k X .25 > 3 years of maintenance. I doubt that an evo is going to cost 10k in maintenance after 3 years. If it did, well it would be a pretty cruddy car.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

You have 42,000kms and you still have stock rotors and pads? Doesn't sound like you even drive your car spiritedly enough to be scared of it breaking down. Well, trading it in for a new one especially in Canada is absolutely stupid especially if you're going from GSR -> GSR. The only difference you'll get is the blue LCD, heated seats + mirrors, FUSE, and the handling package if that's what you're looking at. The maintenance costs associated with the car "can" be looked at as an excuse, but have you checked what your car is worth on CanadianBlackBook.com? I checked, and it's $26.7-27.9k. I've gone through a similar process lately, and the dealership will give you even lower than that. There's always selling it privately, but it's a very slow market right now.

A 2011 will cost you either $50k or $54k for the handling package after PDI and taxes. With your trade in plus trade value HST tax savings, you're still looking at adding an extra $30k on top. If you need financing, it'll be more.

Bottom line, it's your decision and contary to my above logic, I recently bit the bullet and made the switch, but IMO was for an entirely different animal. I had an 08 MR Premium and I loved everything about it except for the SST, but won't get into it too much as I can write an entire essay of my dissatisfaction with Mitsu and that unit. It took me 2.5 years to finance it down to a point where I could switch to a USED GSR, but I still ended up taking a substantial financial hit. Am I satisfied? Absolutely because strictly IMO, the manual transmission is what connects the driver to this car.

If you feel that the 2011's or even the 2012's that are coming in the next couple of months would make you happier because of the car, then by all means go for it. If it's just warranty and the aging factor, then that $30k you saved by not switching would be more than enough to fix any problem that you may have x2. Hell for $30k, you could just junk your car and buy another one from the states! I still feel that Evo price gap between Can and US need to be closer to the STI's gap. It's mind boggling how much more we pay.

Last edited by Optiblue; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:29 AM

If your going to trade it. Wait atleast 3yrs when you need to start doing more expensive maintenance. Eventually it will come to the point where it's cheaper to sell and get a new one. Ext warranties never live up to what you spend on them it just looks good for resale purposes. Seeing that you mainly dd Hold out for now if the cars fine. Save money for now there will be a hot new ride you'll want eventually.

I saved 10g on my Evo in Canada lol. Originally they wanted 56 for a GSR with everything in 2008-09 with tax, didn't like that dealer so waited for the right one while saving $. 2010 I make a cash deal for the same car but better for 42 tax Inc. Def worth it
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:06 AM

Don't get caught up in all the hype and throw away 15g on the same car. It may seem like a good idea now but you will look back one day and think man I was a moron. When I get bored I order some parts and I'm satisfied again for a season lol. Good things come to those who wait. Your better off putting that money away in a plc or gic for a couple years for another car.

Pretty much what I'd do if my Evo if I didn't have plans to race it.