Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

P0300 Random Misfire

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shiv is right, there is a resonance coming throught the transmission, usualy in higher gears, as the gears wear and seat properly they begin to cause this resonance, mitsu was replacing transmission for awhile but after another 5-6k miles the cel would return as the gears would wear in again. they also had a sensor sensativinty problem with the galants and eclipses as well. the fix was a ecu reflash.

mitsu is nolonger replacing transmissions, the flash for the evo is almost complete and will adjust the sensativity of the cpk to not detect this resonance.

shiv's products are in no way associated with this problem, and his products our sound, just sit tight and mitsu will have the fix and there will be a tsb and your cars will be covered under warranty for free.

btw i use to be a mitsu tech
Old May 12, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

thanks!
Old May 12, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sti-eater
Are people experiencing a noticeable difference in their engine while they drive when the car misfires. All of the sudden my cars just bogs down. I can still accelerate but then my exhaust becomes really loud. I can't just accept this as a little problem. It's very worrisome and sounds like I'm killing my car. First time it happened to me was on the track. Now it's happening on the streets. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears at different rpms.

I'll check my gaps. I reloaxed my map into the Xede (no real reason, trying anything at this point) and it seems to be doing better. But maybe after the Xede "learns" more it will do the same thing. Who knows.

Great info guys. Thanks.
yep, I too, reloaded Shiv's map and that's what "fixed" my situation - at least for now. My concerns about it coming back (due to the ECU detecting a misfire) is the same as yours....
No problem....I just have a new accessory in my car, that's all - my laptop.
And each time I start my car, I log on to the XEDE and make sure everything's cool

And whenever my buddy hears me talk about this, he just says "Welcome to the world of 'messing with your car/".....i get his point
Old May 13, 2004, 03:06 AM

So is this happening to people who drive a stock Evo? Will Mitsu dealers fix this problem under warranty even if we have the Xede on the car?
Old May 13, 2004, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

This thread appears to be the most comprehensive of the PO300 threads, at least it's the largest I have found.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62955

It's under EVO/Engine in case that link is bad.

And yes, I had the PO300 before my XEDE went it.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Stock cars and modded cars are seeing this same problem. My car has an awful case of the 0300 CEL. When it first started occurring, I would see it at around 75-80 mph in 5th gear. Now, 10k miles later, it happens at 85-90mph mostly. So I guess my gears have worn slightly enough to shift the frequency/vibration to a higher rpm range....
Old May 13, 2004, 07:12 PM

Do you guys who see the misfire at high gears/speeds track your cars? I'm wondering because my car will bog down in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear. I wonder if tracking the car has anything to do with that.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

I know the P0300 thing has been beaten to death, but I'd like to add some of what I've experienced with my XEDE and throwing P0300's. At first, In my car the issue seemed to occur with a specific set of conditions: Mid RPM and light throttle after hard acceleration & cooler than normal tempratures. Then I started watching when my P0300s were occuring more closely, and generally only the light throttle issue applied.

In my car it is a true P0300, sometimes accompanied by a light miss until I release and re-apply the throttle.

Additional testing seemed to indicate that the problem would occur in strings - 2 or 3 tanks of gas with steady P0300s and several without. MY most recent testing seems to show that for me, it may actually be fuel related. When I mix 3 gallons or so of 100 octane with a tank of 93 octane (no 94 here), the car never throws a P0300. I will need to do more testing, but this might be something someone else can also try.

I do track my car (road courses), but have never thrown a P0300 on the track.