Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

P0011 CEL thrown

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0011 CEL thrown

Yesterday I got home from work, nothing major happened and car was running great as just a lead in. This morning I started up my car (may have been around 40-45 degrees in Minnesota) in the garage and let it idle for 2-3 minutes while I went into the house to get some stuff I came out and drove about 1-1.5 miles to the nearest QuikTrip to grab some coffee and shut off the car.

I wasn't in the store for more than 1 minute and came back out and started my car back up again and it felt like it didn't crank over "completely" or "correctly", the car cranked over but was running really rough while stationary, almost like the car wanted to sputter and die...very low idle or stalling out behavior. So I drove for about .5 mile (no boosting) and had to stop at a light and while at the light the IDLE was really rough and the car just felt like it wanted to stall out again.

I was driving another 1/4 mile (not boosting) and the CEL came on the dash so I pulled over to a remote spot and pulled the codes with my handheld code reader I have in the glovebox and found 2 codes for:

P0011 Intake Cam Position Timing Over Advanced - Bank 1

I cleared both the codes and shut off the car and restarted it and low and behold my IDLE was back to normal and the car was smooth. Any ideas on why this may have tripped? Could this be related to my Nisei battery kit with the Odyssey battery that I have in my car? I wouldn't think so since I haven't had this problem before with it. The only other subtle thing I have noticed is that I get some slight shudder when the car is cold right after the 1st initial crank when it's sat overnight. Otherwise when I have driven it and it's warmed up and I come back out to start it up it cranks over smooth, so my assumption is it's just the cold.

Just curious if this is something to be concerned about.

Thanks.

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Nov 3, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
Account Disabled

We've seen the code pop up from time to time (stock and modified IX's alike). Typically, it's tracked down to being a faulty oil feed valve (if memory serves me correctly) on the MIVEC supply line, which should be covered under warranty. Because it happened with an "incomplete" start-up and things are cleared and appear OK, I wouldn't worry too much about it. (I've encountered various codes associated with stalling, failed starts, etc...) If it does come back, I'd look into things further.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

I get this code every once in a while (not WORKS flashed). For me, it seems to occur in low-rpm, moderate load situations, when I'm not really pushing the car. The only time it comes up is after I disconnect the battery or somehow reset the ECU. It will pop up once, I'll clear the code, then it won't reapper until I yank the battery again.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, it hasn't come back at all and most of the research on evolutionm.net that I did earlier kinda hints that it's not really a critical issue like you are confirming...unless it comes back which it hasn't.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I appreciate the confirmation though, it puts my mind at ease, so thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

I get the code every now and then but I also have cams!