Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stuck in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in reverse?

Was driving my 03 evo 8 and it suddenly shut off and came to a hard stop. Turned it on let the clutch off while in neutral and the car just jerks back. So if the car is in neutral or reverse, let the clutch go and it will go back. But if the car is in any of the 1-5 gear it will instantly stall, won't move forward or back. Clutch and shifter still feels the same. I know I will have to open up the trans, but just want to know if anyone else experienced this and what caused it?

Edit:

10 minutes before this happened, I was getting gas and while the car was on in neutral it jerked forward a few times then backwards. Clutch was not being pressed nor was the shifter being moved, it was just sitting there on.

Last edited by 2slowEVO8; Mar 18, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You either, bent or broke a shift fork, Reverse bearing is jammed or blownup causing reverse gear to be stuck no matter what slider position.

you can take off the peep cover and see whats going on, see if your reverse idle gear is ok to.

see what bits you find in your trans, good luck.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:16 AM

Op, did you find the problem?? I may have just had this same exact thing happen to me...
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:04 PM

??
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh no!

My 05 Evo VIII just did the same thing yesterday. I was cruising on the TP at 65 to 70 and car stuttered like a severe miss. Then a couple seconds later started ticking, progressively louder. I clutched and coasted to shoulder as I shut off car. After a look at engine I started it up and there was no drama. I put it in neutral and released clutch and started going backwards. I tried all forward gears but car wouldn't move, just felt like it was gonna stall. I like the idea of taking a peek, is this panel under the battery?
The following users liked this post:
ReaperEvo (Apr 14, 2021)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 07:02 AM

Stuck in reverse, nothing looks broken

I recently came across this problem too, about 2 weeks ago after finishing my fully built motor, previous motor had rod#4 come out both ways of the block on dyno pushing 430whp RIP, but anyway all I was doing was decelerating in 2nd gear going about 10mph and slowing down. I first heard a thud, then 5 sec later it locks up and stalls. I go try and start in Nuetral and jerks back, goto start again and put it in first and lightly let off clutch and seems to be binding up and car is not moving any direction. Same as first post.. I go to disassemble it and all the syncros, gears, forks, etc., everything looks good and moves freely, this is with the housing and reverse idler gear off. For ****s and giggles I goto put it back together but still binds up when not in reverse or neutral. Pretty sure something has to be stuck on the reverse side but can't really figure it out. I'm a tech myself for 3 yrs now but not an expert on manual transmissions, please help.

Last edited by Spòóf-7; Nov 24, 2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Literature mistake
Old Apr 14, 2021, 07:19 AM

Transmission goes in reverse while being in Neutral

Any updates on this on how this was fixed cause I just had the same thing happened to me on my way to work yesterday just installed my 5 speed 3 days ago everything was working fine same exact thing as as the guy above me need fixed asap as my car is my daily
Old Sep 19, 2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperEvo
Any updates on this on how this was fixed cause I just had the same thing happened to me on my way to work yesterday just installed my 5 speed 3 days ago everything was working fine same exact thing as as the guy above me need fixed asap as my car is my daily
Currently fixing this same problem on my 4 right now. The cause of the issue for me was the reverse gear roller bearing failed and seized the reverse gear to the shaft. Gotta pull the race off and replace the bearing and hopefully can clean up and reuse the gear. Not an overly expensive fix but very time consuming.