Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shift Linkage Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Linkage Problem

Recently placed brass bushings into shift cables, felt spongy afterward, did not feel right, i removed them replaced stock bushings and the same thing, still felt spongy, i dont know what happened during the install, did i bend the bracket, bend the cable itself is that even possible, anyway i put about a gallon of valvoline high temp grease all over the linkage to help now its SUPER smooth going into gears, to add i also replaced gear oil to royal purple about 500 miles ago, i just find it very hard to beleive that in a matter of minutes my shift linkage and gear box all of a sudden "broke in" that quick what do you think i messed up, i went to mitsubishi then found nothing wrong with the car and said "we wished all of our cars shifted like this one, it is so much smoother than any of our cars, we dont know why." i was then like well **** what do i do now. so i tried to bend the linkage in the opposite direction in which i had to pull it in order to install bushings, seems better but not 100% the only gears that i have trouble with in feeling are the forward gears 1 3 5 3rd is actually pretty dam good nice click in place however 1st and 5th are VERY NUMB you cant feel when its fully in gear however you just mentally know to push it as far as it will go, while moving you can feel the gear click in first, however in fifth it just goes in like butter i know most people wouldnt be complaining about a shifter being smooth but when you cant feel the gear its obviously a problem. well i would sure appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight, the only thing i can think of is replacing the bracket and the cables and thats all i can think of unless the linkage is bent but i dont see that being a case however, "stranger things have happened"
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know exactly what you're talking about. I installed brass shifter cable bushings in my GSX and immediately felt really sticky going into 5th gear. I never took my bushings out and just lived with it feeling this way. I think I'm going to get the polyurethane ones now after hearing your story.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have the 2pc underhood bushings only. My shift smoothness seems to depend on the weather. Cold it shifts very notchy, warm it smooths out, probably cuz the stock fluid thickens up when it gets cold. But most of my shifts feel like a two-part snick when they go in... like S-Snick going into a gear out of neutral, rather than just 1 fluid motion. I just live with it.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:55 PM

i have been playing with the stock bracket trying to get it to feel like it supposed too, i had to bend it up and forward it seems better but not 100% as i said all i know is something isnt right even with stock bushings
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by marksae
I know exactly what you're talking about. I installed brass shifter cable bushings in my GSX and immediately felt really sticky going into 5th gear. I never took my bushings out and just lived with it feeling this way. I think I'm going to get the polyurethane ones now after hearing your story.
thanks for letting me know im not the only one
Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

I believe that the cable shifter assembly is designed to work with some slop in the cables. I haven't looked at the how the EVO shift linkages move at the tranny so I'm not sure if going to solid bushings is a good idea or not. I just ordered a set of Kartboy polyurethane shifter cable and base bushings so hopefully it'll work out for the best.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have had my bronze shifter bushings for almost 12k miles with no problems. I have not changed out the fluids in the tranny either.

Definately a weird problem you have there. I would not expect a bent bracket to cause you so much trouble.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:22 PM

i dunno
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

you ever get it figured out??? I'm having shift linkage problems also.

here is the thread about my problem. kinda similar https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330640
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:19 PM

I have an identical problem. I installed agency power short shift, works urethane cable and kartboy console bushings. It was spongy as hell feeling before. And this reduced it.. but still, its not rite. I know of two people rite now that have the brass cable bushings and theres seem to be like rifle bolt action.. however I know another person that has the brass and has the SAME EXACT issue... WTF?? I really dont understand but would also appreciate any insight here.. My first notion was that the spring that keeps the shifter centered in neutral had something to do with it but it nothing is that easy and it still is sticky or spongy going into gears..
Old Aug 1, 2009, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

dunno if my problem is related to this.. but I let a friend mash on my car and 1-2 good 2-3 the Lower cable CAME OFF Yes, the whole thing way just sitting there.

We pulled over and the shifter went in circles so we knew it was the cable. My other buddy Chris pushed it back on (took some force) and now no problems so far. It did have some oil on it though so maybe need to clean or get new bushings??
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Just to provide a baseline for some folks... I've had the brass tranny bushings and poly shifter bushings on my '03 for over 80k miles now, and not a single issue. In fact, I'm always wary of when the clutch has to get changed because it's the first time they'll be touched since they were installed. They've been through nasty CO weather too, from below 0 to over 100 and have never hung up on me (amazingly). Just gotta make sure there's a good amount of anti-seize on them!!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:00 PM

I think i know what your problem is... if you still havent gotten it (i just fixed mine with THE SAME ISSUE) when you take your console out, look and find the white plastic block that your bottom spherical bearing goes into. If its not sitting perfectly level to the ground, you twised the cable when you put the new bushings back on.. I just suffered the same thing. the cable when it comes into the car should sit facing up ready to accept the bearing at the bottom of the shifter. if you have to twist it to get it into place, you need to have someone watch while you turn the cable underneath the hood (after you have taken it back apart again. It will be the bigger of the two bushings. The only reason i didnt preemptively fix that is because thats how it was when i bought it thus thinking it was right. Let me know if you need further explanation.. there is an good image in one of the other thread relating to a similar issue. Best of luck.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:29 AM

you give that a shot? or at least find a solution?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

If you didn't try this yet... make sure you lubed the under the hood bushing/linkage area post install...

see my thread... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8155075