Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to tell when motor mount is going bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell when motor mount is going bad?

Car seems to be a little jerky when shifting. Had buddy drive my car to the body shop. And im pretty he was ******* the **** out of the car.

Car just feels very jerky when shifting, like the motor is moving...

Kind of pisses me off when i trust my best friend to drive my car and he just beats the **** out of it.

Car has a Exedy Twin Disc Clutch put in at around 40ish, then a Team Rip Engineering Stage 4 Transfer Case at 50k. Car has 63k on it now. I know the previous owner took it to the track with the Exedy clutch in it and blew his transfer case and thats when he put the new transfer case in and never took it to the track again.

Okay so now something else has happened tonight. I can not start from a stop with out having the rpms of atleast 2k or else the car will shutter you could say. I know how to drive the car but things are getting worst and worst. I didn't get a chance to look at the car tonight. I'm just getting off work.

So hopefully can have some insight on the situation.

Also, I recently changed the tranny fluid, and front and rear difs, and front brake pads. It feels like the brakes are pushing agaisnt the rotors until I reach past 2k rpms

I'm hoping this is nothing serious

I am thinking this could possibly be motor mounts. The car has 63k on stock ones and has buschur stage 2 and a couple other things done to it. And i know it has had a fair amount of hard laucnhes.. So im thinking its time for an upgrade.

Last edited by jokerdude1333; Mar 20, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:15 AM

Also i didnt think about this befor. But i did lower the car a good 1.5" all the way around. I didnt think about it. But could anything be binding up?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:16 AM

Im sorry. If you are really worried I would check the compression and inspect the motor mounts.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He probably glazed your clutch a bit. No need to check the compression in my opinion. The problem is in the driveline components somewhere.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:28 AM

Im thinking its in the driveline as well. One of my buddies has the exact same clutch and transfer so im going to ask him if his has ever done this before.

When i take off, it sounds like something is rubbing on something and then releases once i start rolling.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im having the same problem.Well i was having the same jerkiness when i shifted but it went away,now my car sounds like the clutch its about to explode when i get out of first.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Might have tore the clutch up not knowing how to drive it, also i would check compression it is fast and easy.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:23 PM

Okay so now something else has happened tonight. I can not start from a stop with out having the rpms of atleast 2k or else the car will shutter you could say. I know how to drive the car but things are getting worst and worst. I didn't get a chance to look at the car tonight. I'm just getting off work.

So hopefully can have some insight on the situation.

Also, I recently changed the tranny fluid, and front and rear difs, and front brake pads. It feels like the brakes are pushing agaisnt the rotors until I reach past 2k rpms

I'm hoping this is nothing serious
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:21 PM

Any thoughts out there?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a clutch problem.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:05 AM

Not real experienced but the clutch is shot in my car. The mechanic said it would do this due to slippage. If it smells like eggs or propane then it is definitively a clutch.