Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HELP! stuck in a corporate loophole and the victim is us the CUSTOMER!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! stuck in a corporate loophole and the victim is us the CUSTOMER!

Dear evom members, need your valuable opinion on this one

Here is the story. I'm a proud lancer GTS owner for a year and a half now. I've done all my maintenance with the dealership. I've paid the extra $$$ because I thought if I do all my work at the dealership, if i ever ran into issues I'll get my full warantee... or so i thought...

On my 1 year inspection, dealership told me that I have abnormal tire wear issues. It turns out i have premature wearing on the inner side of my front tires. weird, i thought, but mitsubishi said this is definitely an abnomal wear on a 20,000km car.. HOWEVER, GTS tires are waranteed by dunloop so i have to take it to a dunloop distributor..

I went to dunloop distributor, the manager inspected my tire and assured me it was an alignment issue! claiming that the dealership did not align my tires properly hense the abnormal inner tire wear.

So i brought it back to dealership... after a long and tedious argument (brought it to mitsubishi Canada HQ), i got a free alignment to see if the tire was alignment issue.. as it turned out, it wasn't.. so the issue goes back to dunloop..

However, dunloop distributor claim that they can not do any replacement as mitsubishi bought their car thus although dunloop warantees, the replacement has to go through dealership...

So wtf, I have Dunloop and Mitsubishi pointing fingers at each other and nothing is resolved. All i know is the customer (me) is suffering with a defective tire (or covered up alignment issue) and canadian winter is approaching very soon..

Any suggestions on getting my tires replaced??

Tomorrow im' going to dealership to give them more crap but I feel like I'm back in the beginning of the loop again.

(so far: Dealership --> dunloop distributor --> Dealership --> Mitsu HQ --> Dunloop --> Dunloop HQ --> Dunloop/Good year --> Dealership (tomorrow)
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jappaswat

Any suggestions on getting my tires replaced??
Umm, pay for them?

-E
Old Nov 18, 2008, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue, I took the hit on buying new tires and my dealer did the alignment. They found that the toe was out 2 degrees on one tire and 1 degree on the other. I havn't seen any abnormal wear since the alignment, but I am going to keep checking to make sure everything is alright. I still have the old tires at home, I plan on putting them back on and using them as summer tires when my current ones run out of tread.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind that just because it was in spec for the alignment--it can still cause wear. The alignment is a range of numbers, likley you are not at optimum...If I am not mistaken that is still 0 toe setting. Ifs its neg toe--then it will wear the inside edge of your tires--happnes all the time.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know how it works in canadia. But if the car is less than 12K miles, they will do the alignment free and may replace the tire as well. I noticed the alignment issue when I was at 7500 miles and since the wear is not that critical, I just told them no, I will stick with my current tire. I did not want them to touch the oem BBS just for a tire.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How goes it? any updates?

Originally Posted by meckert
Keep in mind that just because it was in spec for the alignment--it can still cause wear. The alignment is a range of numbers, likley you are not at optimum...If I am not mistaken that is still 0 toe setting. Ifs its neg toe--then it will wear the inside edge of your tires--happnes all the time.
i saw his tires in person, he has 0 % tread on the inside of his rear wheels and the front ones were burning away in the same manner. His tires are effectively done and its only 20,000km at or under the 12,000 mile point.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I had abnormal wear. I ended up going to Discount Tire and they called up Dunlop and Dunlop prorated a refund to me and I got Bridgestone Potenzas.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:54 AM

I had the same problem with my tires wearing out early and it seem to pull to hte left. I took it to my dealer and told him about it. They said there is nothing wrong. I had done some research before hand and explained to him that there is a known problem with the tires. He checked threw his GM and found out that there was a known problem in the tread pattern of the Dunlops . Mits and Tire rack Have a deal to replace the tires FREE of charge. I've had my new tires on for 800 mile with no pulling or tread wear.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:11 AM

If tire wear is strictly on the inside, it is most likely the chamber that is out. Meaning the top of the tire is leaning to the inside of the car. This too should have been covered in the alignment though. If you are toed out, your car will pull to either side.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Im curious to know which dealership you've been dealing with over this issue?