Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

95 Honda accord

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Honda accord

I have a quick tech question. My girlfriend has a 95 accord that either the battery is dead or she is having alternator problems. My question is..."If I jump the car too many times will it ruin the alternator?" I am going to buy a new battery when she comes back but in trying to keep this one alive it only lasts a few hours after an hour or so of non stop driving to charge it. (LONG SENTENCE )

Any help would be appreciated.

WADAD
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Well first, is it stick? Second have you ever tried starting it by roling the car in second while the contact is on and popping the clutch and starting it! Tell her for now to keep the car above 3k rpm
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

And about jumping it too many times...I don't know, you should get her a new battery!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

yep
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

It's an auto so I can't start it from a roll.

She's out of town now so I have to drive it when I get home from work.
Just wondering if I should go ahead and buy a new battery to save myself the hassle or if the alternator is shot too.

WADAD
Old Nov 26, 2004, 02:20 PM

i would say new battery. My old car had that problem, and i would charge it, then drvie it, and then when i got back in, it was dead again. Got a new battery and the problem was fixed!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

just about any parts place will check the battery for free. if that is it problem solved, but even the alternator is cheap and easy to fix. i would think that after driving the battery around dead for that long you may need both- if in fact it is the alternator. is ther any problem with stereo, lights, anything auxillary. if there is it means that, that stuff is running off of the battery only. and it is an alternator problem. i had a 94 accord for while. good car. good luck
Old Nov 26, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well she had a stereo installed that had an extremely powerful amp. It has since been removed. That leads me to wonder if the alternator could have been overworked and has gone out now. She has a sensitive car alarm too but I have left my car before for long periods of time and it started up after . I don't see why this should keep happening. It's the second time she has had to replace this battery in the last 2 yrs I believe. This one looks fairly new still.

WADAD
Old Nov 27, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

if she got the battery less than a yr ago, most places have a warranty on that. i would try to figure out where it came ffrom before i go buy a new one. they dont have to know about the alternator problems. just tell them it isnt working. then fix the alternator. good luck.