Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Well I passed the other day wahoo!! Every year its an adventure. Just happy to say that I only have 3 more years of this BS.

Jayson- it would be great to know why they are flagging your vehicle in the first place...I know they wont give you much info but there must be some reason as it doesn't add up.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Why cant you just add the lines of code to disable the codes for misfire? You can add that stuff to your XML so the tables show up in ECUflash, than you just enter the proper values and you're all set.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

This aint NV son...MA is the new Cali. Im pretty sure when you delete the p0300 test in the periphery bits it also shuts off EGR. So then you think OK no problem Ill just use the force pass patch however that for some reason has been getting people flagged. It may be because certain people used that and had everything set to ready status, things that our cars do not support in the first place.

I know back in the day I had my readiness tests set up properly however I got flagged bc I was using a different ROM ID.

I suppose if it is available for the 9694011 I could try to use that patch but for me it seems too risky at this point. The name of the game is not getting flagged bc then you are dealing with a separate entity aka the MAC who then puts your car up on a lift and checks everything. It sucks.

I had the inspection down to a science aka throwing on EGR putting on a spacer for my rear 02 disconnecting my wideband that taps into the rear o2 wire in the ecu swapping back on my 1 bar MAP and reflashing back the stock ROM with the only change being injector scalings and a couple idle tables. It seems the less I change in the ROM the better. Thats why I dont bother even changing the tables for the MAP sensor. I just do whats needed to get my car to run.

The past few years that worked fine for me but for whatever reason this year my car just wanted to be difficult and kept throwing the p0300 code.

I guess what Im getting at is that I probably could get away with doing that however given that the state has smartened up maybe they will see the extra tables in the ROM? I believe they are checking the number of PIDS and maybe just maybe altering deleting etc could change that number and boom Im flagged.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

When you add to the XML, you are not adding table to the ROM. The tables are already there, all you are doing is defining them so that they appear in ecuflash so you can edit them.

Idk if the patch is available for your ROM. If it's not, couldn't you just change the ROM ID in ecuflash and make it pass? And then you change it back to the correct ROM ID so you can properly read all the tables again. You can change the ROM ID and the PID's remain the same. It just makes it to where ECUflash cant properly define any of the tables, soo all the values read wrong. For example, the timing and fuel tables would have a bunch of random numbers in them. It doesn't effect how the car runs or how the ECU operates, just how ECUflash defines the tables. So if a smog computer is simply checking for the ROMID and PID's, it should work fine.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

IDK man Im not well versed on the tuning world. I can add patches and make small changes but as far as having the knowledge to know the ins and outs and know what changing one thing actually does and how it works vs just knowing it works is a different story. Thats where my buddy Turco comes into play and why I pay him the big bucks...err I mean allow him to hang out with me

I didn't think you could just change the ROM ID by typing in a new ID but I guess to your point you're not actually changing the ID just the name. Maybe they have the patch for the 05 but I always went to a different ROM ID since I thought the 05 didnt have much space on it and then there is always those funky things like not wanting to idle as well as rev hang which seems to have plagued my car so Ive been on so many different ROMs.

You might be onto something here but I don't exactly want to be the guinea pig. I don't even know how they are reading the ROM ID in the first place. As far as Im concerned going back to the stock ROM isnt the end of the world. But if I could use the force pass and not get flagged that would be sweet.

But as I said assuming you get flagged then your f**ked bc you will never get a sticker going there with the force pass. What happens when they reset everything by like disconnecting the battery and then see that everything is magically already at ready status? Good luck winning that argument.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

I would win that argument by finding a new place to live. 99.9% of people have no interest in screwing around with smog equipment. There is no reason for testing to be any more stringent then it is in NV. OBD2 plug in, verify no codes and monitors are run and you're all set. OBD1 cars still get a visual and tail pipe test, but that's because you cant verify those systems are functional through ECU, and OBD1 isn't nearly as standardized as OBD2.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Lol exactly it shouldnt have ever gotten this bad considering the main offenders are the oil burning pieces of junk not the F&F evo punks that dont have a cat on their car. But its only getting worse. Look at what the EPA has done to the small engine business over the past 20-30 years. Now all the carbs are jetted non-adjustable POS's running so lean that after 50 hours of use run like crap and need the jets to be drilled out to get enough fuel to get them to run proper. Hell I wanted to adjust the L & H speed jet on my chainsaw and wasn't even allowed to buy the tool at my local mower shop since they are no longer to sell them. Like what kind of law is that? Please explain the sense in that...I did stumble upon a trick I read using a butt connector on the end of a screwdriver that worked for me but still youre telling me I cant buy the friggin tool unless I pick it up off ebay and have it shipped from China. Like wtf is that?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Land of the "free". Because your chainsaw its going to end the world with all of it's pollution.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Haha exactly. God forbid I adjust the carb vs junking the whole thing for a new saw. The whole world could end if they let just anyone own a tool that allows you to add more fuel into a machine. Not like im trying to "soup" the thing up I just appreciate when it revs freely vs bogging. Crazy desire, I know...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 03:56 PM
EvoM Guru

It's dumb for sure. Those things probably burn a whole pint of fuel in 10hrs of operation vs a car that even with the best fuel mileage will haven't burnt around 15-20 gallons.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heel2Toe I've been trying to figure out why everything but my EGR was showing up correctly and that info regarding the misfire may be what I'm missing. Thanks

Unfortunately, I have an R. I went in with a stock ROM (don't remember which) and didn't scan like an idiot before the readiness set and couldn't get EGR to set without the misfire.

Now I'm on a different ROM and think I've got it all down but am terrified the ROM mismatch will screw me. FML
Old Aug 10, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Do not try go go back with a different ROM ID or you will get sent to the MAC center. I take it you are now in the same boat as I was where the readiness tests wont go to ready before you get a CEL?

Sounds like you have a scanner? In MA you are allowed up to one at not ready as long as its not for your rear 02 (CAT). I passed the other day and EGR had yet to flip. I think that one takes the longest...

Basically what Im getting at is that you can still pass with EGR at not ready status as long as everything else if ready that should be ready. Basically you just need 7 of the 8 tests at ready status then cross your fingers that you can get it to the place before your CEL comes on.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Situation is more like:

Try 1 : Rom X , Couldn't get EGR or Evap to ready without misfire

Current: Rom Y that i'm tuned on but can play around with settings , EGR is unsupported.

I think I can get the readiness to be correct, but am afraid the different ROM will get flagged.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Different ROM ID will flag you. Thats how they got me.

Keep trying to get the EVAP or EGR to flip. I found that low load low throttle situations causes my car to throw the misfire code. You need to go through multiple drive cycles but dont necessarily drive for a long period of time. But the key is to have the car start from being cold then warmed up then stop the car let it sit overnight or a few hours until coolant temp drops again and do it again. Thats the only way to get EVAP to flip. You can drive around for hours and it wont do it.