Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Failed Emissions: OBD Not ready

Old Apr 13, 2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Emissions: OBD Not ready

I failed the emissions inspection on my 2011 lancer with 84k miles. Everything passed except the OBD Readiness test. I have an OBD 2 bluetooth module and using torque on my phone I can see that the O2, and a few other monitors are complete.

The rest, Heated O2, EGR, become complete after driving around except for the Evap one. When I shut off the car and turn it back on, these 3 only complete after driving.
So I'm not sure how I will pass inspection now since they will turn off my car and back on to do the emissions.

I do have a P0145 code being thrown for some time now, but the service engine light comes on and goes away on its own. I did reset it myself before the inspection but that didn't help.

Will replacing the sensor fix the issue with the sensors becoming ready? I don't understand why half of them go back to Incomplete after turning off the car.

By the way its Bank 1 sensor 3, which sensor do I have to buy..Rock auto has a lot of them. I can tell from a youtube video that the sensor the code throws is the one connected to the Cat that is under the by the driver passenger side.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does your car still have the charcoal canister?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Does your car still have the charcoal canister?
You mean the catylitic converter? Yes my car is all stock.

I've also tried a few other obd apps for my phone and they state my monitors are all ready after turning the ignition off, then on unless I reset the codes again.

So I'm wondering if its just torque, but that's the only one I found that does live monitoring.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The not ready means you need more cycles with no codes. The EVAP (leak) check is triggered when the car gas tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. So it should take 'longer' to be ready - due to fuel state. Keep it in that range to trigger a test.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:25 AM

Yea I have a P0145 code. It states bank 1 sensor 3 but I'm sure these cars have only 2 oxygen sensors. I think its the downstream o2, the one by the cat. Expensive one too so guess I'll try and see how much that will cost to get someone to replace it for me.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

From enginecodes.com:
P0145 Mitsubishi Description

The rear heated oxygen sensor (or sensor 3 for some vehicles), after three way catalyst (manifold), monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas on each bank. Even if switching characteristics of the heated oxygen sensor 1 are shifted, the air-fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric, by the signal from the heated oxygen sensor 3.

This sensor is made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. Under normal conditions the heated oxygen sensor 3 is not used for engine control operation.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0145_mitsub...#ixzz3YFEY5tqQ

So yeah, if it was me, I would replace rear sensor (assuming the car - especially exhaust - is still stock).
Old Apr 25, 2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
From enginecodes.com:
P0145 Mitsubishi Description

The rear heated oxygen sensor (or sensor 3 for some vehicles), after three way catalyst (manifold), monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas on each bank. Even if switching characteristics of the heated oxygen sensor 1 are shifted, the air-fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric, by the signal from the heated oxygen sensor 3.

This sensor is made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. Under normal conditions the heated oxygen sensor 3 is not used for engine control operation.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0145_mitsub...#ixzz3YFEY5tqQ

So yeah, if it was me, I would replace rear sensor (assuming the car - especially exhaust - is still stock).
Well I just had the sensor replaced at the local shop where I had my inspection. Picked up the car and it had no check engine light.

Plugged in my OBD 2 and loaded up torque and noticed that it showed pending fault code of P0145 still. Spent $560 for nothing it seems. I really do not have money now to keep fixing this issue, not sure what I'll do. They told me to bring it back if the light comes back on.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Could the impending code be from before you swapped the sensor?
Or did you clear all codes and now it re-appeared?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Could the impending code be from before you swapped the sensor?
Or did you clear all codes and now it re-appeared?
I'm pretty sure they cleared the ECU before giving me the car back. I didn't realize the pending code until I got home. I drove the car around yesterday and the Pending code went away.

Today I'm driving back from work, about 50+ miles counting from Saturday since I got the car back, and the check engine light came back on. Pulled out my obd 2 dongle and Torque reads the same code P0145. Really upset now..they told me to bring it back in this Saturday morning so they can look at it.

I called the place as soon as I saw the code "Pending" and they said drive it some more and if the light comes back we will make sure it doesn't.

With my damn luck I'll be charged more than I can afford to pay now a second time. I know they got the part from Mitsubishi because I heard the guy calling Mitsu parts department while I was waiting.

Either they replaced the wrong sensor or they didn't do anything.

Car drives fine, no issues, gas mileage is great, no smoke from exhaust. They told me it has 3 sensors and 2 cats but I think it only has 2 sensors. I know for a fact it does have 2 cats.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Dang! Sorry to hear that!
Old May 3, 2015, 06:49 AM

I had the car taken back to the shop and they looked at it again, took out the sensor and tested it. They said the sensor they replaced is fine and they could not find any other issues.

They called mitsubishi service and they told me that there is a TSB out there for check engine light not going away and displaying the same error codes. The shop told me to take it to the dealer and have them flash my computer since they don't have the tool to do that. So now I have to figure out what to say to the dealer so they will reflash it without getting it diagnoses again and charged a ton.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:45 AM

J

Ij

Last edited by mjev8; Aug 23, 2016 at 05:48 AM. Reason: G
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:48 AM

I did click the link and read. I'm not interested in covering up the problem. If you would actually read my posts I'm asking to see if someone has had the same problem. I'm not looking to repair the o2 sejnsor. I never said that. But here's a thought maybe there is something else that is causing that test to be incomplete.