Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

How Long Will A Dyno Tune Take??

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Long Will A Dyno Tune Take??

Trying to figure out how long its going to take...its $115 an hour for the tune..I asked the guy an he couldnt give me a time table..so if any1 had a tune done to there RA..How long did it take for the tune?? thanks for any help!!
Old May 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what Fuel managment/ECU your using, and if the tuner has experience with it. I have the RRM piggyback with the 10 PSI turbo kit AT THE TIME. and at the time i got it tuned, the tuner had no experience at all with it. 5 hours later, the car was bogging bad and i lost power. I took it to a different tuner who had experience with it. he had it running perfect in 2-3 hours. now that 2-3 hours is fixing up the first shops screw up.

so... depends if the tuner has experience with the software your using. I recommend don't go to any dyno just because its close. Look into a tuner that knows the ECU your using.

Last edited by Ralliart_on_LSD; May 16, 2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: 10 psi
Old May 18, 2009, 10:30 AM

ooo ok Thanks man...i have the same..RRM turbo kit with the SplitSecond Piggyback..how much did it run you for the tune??
Old May 18, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Most shops are around 400 for dyno tune.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends on how many hours and if there is problems. I would say most shops would say "300-400 for a dyno tune" , but the rule of thumb is around 100+ an hour. So if its on there all day, all night, you should ask them how much after the 4th hour. And again depends on the shop. get a shop that tunes evo's all day, it could be on the dyno for an hour and still charge 300, just for the dyno tune.

OR the car could be very problematic, take 8-9 hours, and the shop could either charge by the hour... OR say "eh screw it, we messed up took longer than we should have, still its 400 dollars" ... totally depends on the shop on how much the tune could cost. But i would say 300-400 dollars, or 100 an hour. Ask the shop if they have experience with THAT MODEL ecu with a 5th injector set up.

make sure you ask them first before jumping into any old dyno. I learned my lesson.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

I sujest a tune on the street (if u have a wide band, I have AEM uego) crusing and then at wot, then what u have to do on the dyno is fix the AFR trying to make it a traight line.. that tune will only take like 30min at least to me and im running at 13psi with fuel mix of 11.8.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:25 AM

yeah it would be around 400 for the tune the add strap on fees and all that
Old May 21, 2009, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qlitv
I sujest a tune on the street (if u have a wide band, I have AEM uego) crusing and then at wot, then what u have to do on the dyno is fix the AFR trying to make it a traight line.. that tune will only take like 30min at least to me and im running at 13psi with fuel mix of 11.8.
I do a lot of street tuning. While a dyno is a tool and not the solution to everything sometimes it is more appropriate. Since I've done close to 200 honda tunes I can recite a complete timing map from memory and I can tell you that your type-R engine will hit MBT at 27-28 degrees on 94 octane fuel this only comes from experience.

In reality on a setup I haven't done 10 tunes already I start with a street tune to get the values close then stick it on the dyno to see how much fuel and timing that engine really likes. Some motors love to be pig rich, like a large bore subaru engine, while others, like Audi 2.7tt like to be run a good deal leaner. Some, like VAG 1.8t don't like a lot of timing while you can throw tons of timing at a Mazda BPT engine.

A competent tuner can usually do a final tune from a decent basemap in 2h including strapdown. Sometimes I find this is hampered by small mechanical issues, like poorly gapped plugs (misfires), insufficient cooling system (long waits between pulls), difficult to adjust boost controllers etc etc etc.

Best strategy is to budget for a complete day on the dyno and usually walk home with change in the bank. If 2h is going to burn every last penny in the bank then leave it parked for another pay cycle and do it right. You don't pull out to pass if you're not sure you can make it back in, so don't send your car off for work if you're not sure you can pay your bills.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Hehehe... you are right... but this is a Mitsubishi lancer not a Honda or Subaru he is trying to tune a turbo ralliart as a daily driver specially with the split second easy to tune piggy back... if you spend 150 or more is a rip off man... and most tuner out on the streets would take longer than what it would really take to tune to charge you for the hour or even worst they wont make your car run faster than theirs....

Well that’s just my opinion, find a trust worthy guy for the tune... another thing RallyAzn04 if you find a trust worthy guy pay attention to what he is doing, ask questions, so you can learn a thing or two about tuning and see how easy it is so they don't rip you off or even better so you can tune it your self...

Sorry for my bad writing
Old May 25, 2009, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately good tuning is not easy and it's not something you can learn by reading a for-dummies-guide on the internet. It requires significant technical knowledge of what you're doing plus experience to quickly know what's going on. You need to know from experience what a misfire sounds like, what pinging sounds like and a whole range of other things. I remember some years ago a well "respected" tuner had a car on the roller and I was helping him with some software. The car started pinging then detonating. After a bit I was like "it's detonating - you're going to blow it up!" he was like "oh that's what that sound is? I've read about it before".

A split second might be "easy' to tune on a turbo ralliart but once the factory computer starts to react from the settings changes you're going to find it will waste a lot more than 2h of your time. I have not yet seen any piggyback that is able to work correctly with the ralliart computer - save my own prototype and even it was limited in what changes you can make. There is a reason I've been working my *** off for 6 months now designing a reflash.

-Michael

Originally Posted by qlitv
Hehehe... you are right... but this is a Mitsubishi lancer not a Honda or Subaru he is trying to tune a turbo ralliart as a daily driver specially with the split second easy to tune piggy back... if you spend 150 or more is a rip off man... and most tuner out on the streets would take longer than what it would really take to tune to charge you for the hour or even worst they wont make your car run faster than theirs....

Well that’s just my opinion, find a trust worthy guy for the tune... another thing RallyAzn04 if you find a trust worthy guy pay attention to what he is doing, ask questions, so you can learn a thing or two about tuning and see how easy it is so they don't rip you off or even better so you can tune it your self...

Sorry for my bad writing
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

What cable are u using? to handle the reflash