Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

intake manifold

Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake manifold

I am getting ready to do the timing belt item and the valve lashing. well my question is. I have seen some where on here on one of the builds they used a sdk intake manifold. I have Googled it and I can only find it for the srt-4. do they not make it for our cars any more. and when I do the intake. I also want to ugrade the throttle body any suggestions on which one I should use
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
throttle body has been covered extensively so search

the guy sent out his intake manifold to sdk and they worked on it for him
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Me and Lakuzard that are running the SDK p'n'p mani.

You need to provide them with a core and they'll either machine it or the last core they received from the previous sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
not worth the money in my opinion...the intake manifold and head aren't really that restrictive...i'm still waiting on proof that people are getting worthy gains from ported manifolds and larger throttle bodies...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cranswick is right, it's not worth it. I have mine ported and polished and I didn't notice any difference. Just get the 65mm throttle body and you'll see a little kick.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

i'm thinking the larger throttle body would reduce the venturi effect going into the manifold, decreasing velocity and increasing static pressure inside the manifold...i can't see that making any noticeable power gains either, but probably has better throttle response, and maybe increasing power across the band, but not peak HP.

I could be wrong, I almost bought a throttle body from another member, but before i got paid, he sold it, but in retrospect maybe it was a good thing cause i haven't seen on paper that it is worth the money.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

I thought that venturi effect was useful in carburetors to suck in the gas, not in direct injection...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been thinking of dynoing the TB. Since its a thing of 10mins to change between stock and the 63mm TB. Just to have it on paper even though i know it wont have any impressive results but i want a base run to at least compare when doing 4-1 header and exhaust, so why not check the 2 TB's. That's the only way to check for true gains and not rely on the buttdyno.

For the 63mm TB i could say throttle response did increase slightly and that's about it. IIRC the stock IM intake is 63mm so anything higher is overkill unless port matched.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dacib
I thought that venturi effect was useful in carburetors to suck in the gas, not in direct injection...
Yeah, so making the throttle body larger, you are minimizing the venturi effect. Thus increasing static pressure...not totally sure what that means for performance, but higher pressure, means higher density, more oxygen per volume, so whether or not "static" pressure inside the manifold will translate into any increase in air density is up in the air...lol

venturi effect is when you decrease the cross-sectional area of a section of an "airway"...as the moving air enters the narrow section, its velocity increases, decreasing pressure...low pressure air is less dense.

i'll bet like $5 bucks the difference is minimal, and that if a larger throttle body makes any power gains it would be negligible compared to the cost of the throttle body.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 14, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dacib
It is...Venturi effect is used to get a fuel/air mixture to go inside the engine for engines that use carburetors. Direct injection already controls pressure and velocity of the fuel to be mixed with the air so its not used on direct injection. Venturi is used for fuel delivery per se not air flow to the engine.

What CrAnSwIcK is referring to probably is the nozzle/diffuser effect of the difference in TB diameters. I think the manifolds do have a stronger effect in the airflow that will go to the head than just the TB alone. I agree with him that the gains, if any will be minimal. People with the needed "breathing" mods just see a slight change on the hp along the graph but not any peak hp gains.

Maybe some people are only spending a few bucks just to get a fake "spooling" sound
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:00 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back on topic

Well I have the Gt Tb , p&p IM, and fully p&p competition head and I see the differences at mid to top end only... before 3.5 there's no noticeable difference.SDK isn't a vendor here which is why you won't find them here but from the heads I saw them do they only ported like 1-2inches deep at most. Which is fine for the IM but lacking for the head IMO.If your looking to p&p your IM do a few searches on how to / techniques then jump at it, it's pretty straight forward. Once you go forced induction the p&p work will show more then
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Once you go forced induction the p&p work will show more then
this.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

If I wanted to get my intake manifold ported, I would get it extrude honed.Otherwise, it's just a gasket match.

I hope that it's ok for my to post a link to their website. I don't work for them.

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/auto-performance.php
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:31 PM

I know its probably covered in the 1,000 TB threads but since this one is active and it kind of goes with the current conversation of PnP.....
I obviously mount points for the screws match with the larger TB to the Mani but does the outside of the larger body match up with the Manifold like a stoke TB would? or is this where port matching comes in? sorry if this doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

The larger TB is either 63mm or 65mm and the oem IM is 59 or 60mm so it's a little smaller but not by much.