Notices

Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is better to own in the long run? do one cause more wear and tear on the engine than the other? how much are air filter to replace and how often must u replace them?
Old May 11, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

there shouldnt be any increased wear from either over the stock air box in theory as it is just air entering, only problem that may occur is deep water and cai.

air filters are relatively cheap, ~20-50$ depending on quality and brand
replace say every 50k kms or u can get cleaning kits, or just replace if they get dirty if u have for example been driving in the desert or dusty area.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:29 PM

okay.. now that 'wear and tear' is out of the question...

what is more popular,?and what is more convenient?
Old May 12, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

well its down to personal preferance

i like the SRI and have one, its loud at WOT and quiet at normal driving, great from low rev range(helps on automatic)
prone to heat soak which is terrible on the RA, so after a few hard runs u lose alot of power, but its winter now so free ponies

Cai, havent had one, but thinking when it comes to summer and i still have the RA i may get one

if undecided get i think the injen coz i is reversable (ie cai or sri in one) but double check the first page for that info just in case

checking and changing filter on the sri is easy as it is at the top of the engine bay, where as the cai is down the bottom behind stuff, and read a few times that when people check it that the filter has popped off and stuff may get sucked in there but its rare and u just gotta make sure u do it up nice and tight like.

maybe check the for sale forums there might be some1 selling a piece second hand, and since there is no wear it will be like new, just get a new filter and try it out.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Just got my CAI. I only installed the SRI yesterday as I didn't have enough time to do the full thing. So far so good though. The only thing was that when taking off the MAF sensor (I think that's what it is), the screws on that thing were ****ty and got quite stripped. Luckily I could still get it off though.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

^yeah, mitsu screws are prone to stripping, u try and turn the screwdriver and it might as well be in butter,

just try to be careful as they are expensice to replace
ie a handful(i think it was a pack of 5) that hold the snorkel for the stock air box was $14
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:36 AM

Intake and Filter cleaning

Is T-306 Aluminum chrome intake tubing resistant to heat like AEM intakes are or not? Also, I have a AEM dryflow synthetic filter that needs cleaning, it says to use AEM filter cleaning solution but I'm sure warm water and something like simple green would work just as good, right? Any suggestions?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

^
http://www.aempower.com/Faqs.aspx?CategoryID=102
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=102
read that and make ur own decision, but is it worth <$10 buying a filter clearner kit or not and possibly wrecking your filter
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:06 PM

After a lot of thought and consideration, i'm considering purchasing a short ram intake over a cold air, due to the faster response, accessibility, price and that 'it still produces the same hp gain'. but that last one is from what i've been told on here and other car enthusiasts.

as far as brand is concerned, i'm looking at the one from rrm, due to the cost and the company stating ' it out dynos aem and injen'.

what i want to know is how true their statement is. whether you have dyno charts, or just word of mouth, what do would think is the best company for aem, pricewise/hp gain-wise.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

u should get injen. you'll have the choice of a short ram or cold air. i honestly think short ram doesnt really do much, just changes the sound. also with short ram, you need a heat shield since its so close to the engine.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

SRI is good, it makes the car sound better, get a bit more low end(which i like from the line) but as stated after a few runs you get sevear(sp?) heat soak and yeah loose a bit, but when i get time(and money) im going to try and heat sheild mine and also add a CAI pipe, but keep the SRI if that makes sence, so ill still have SRI but get cold air to it...

or maybe just put the stock snorkel back on to the filter
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:44 PM

thanks for the quick replies, as for the heat shield,

-are there companies that supply a heat shield with the intake system
-has someone already posted how to build one on any forum (please dont tell me to search, just say yes or no)
-if i purchased an upgraded hood with a hood scoop/vent, would the heat shield still be necessary (seeing as how there is extra air to the engine with the openin)?
-what is the least of my worries/worst case scenario if i did not use a heat shield (would it be the risk of heating up my engine faster?)
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

if you dont use a heat sheild and have a SRI the filter and air going in gets hot, nothing to worry about, just hot air is not as condence as cold air -> condence air = more air = more fuel = more power ...
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:14 AM

i'm still considering the sri, but from i'm told by these forums is that a heat sheild still wouldn't get the job completely done. and that after a while its sucking in hot air. Would a new hood with a vent on it solve that problem?
becuase if the heat soak is a big issue, i'll probably end up getting either the injen cai/sri combo, or the rrm, with the aem bypass valve.
The main concern with the cai is that i've heard that they will crack and break due to engine movement. How often does this happen?
Also ive been told that you loose low end torque with the cai, if i got an underpulley from rrm, would that compensate for the low end torque loss.
does it affect the short ram intake at all? would the air get hotter?

those are just some of the many questions, but the main points being the heat soak on the sri and the cai pipe breaking/being prone to hydrolock
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

IMO i have the Injen cai and the filter is located just behind the drivers side fog light and fog light housing...when i went to our friends shop to do a couple of dyno runs, first run toped in at 150...i had been thinking about removing the fog light and housing for a more direct air flow to the filter. so we removed it (from both sides to make it more appealing obviously) and stuck a secondary fan right in front it and i swear to you no lie our second run brought us to 155hp.

Quick Reply: Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread