Notices

Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to ad a little information, I got a custom downpipe with a HF CAT. When I had my injen CAI, My CEL was on and off. But since i've put it short ram for the winter, my CEL always turn on. The short ram has a more flow of air IMO.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:45 AM

I'm still debating on the CAI or SRI. Leaning towards SRI for the simple fact that I live in Florida and it rains every single day in the summer and when hurricane season comes around, not sure if I wanna take the time, if i got the Injen, to convert to SRI from CAI. Definitely would invest in a heat shield though, I'm a worrier so I think it would help me psychologically lol
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:29 PM

i have to shine some light on this i have g tech pro EGS and i did 4 runs with it 2 runs with cai and 2 runs sri so what the difference ? i saw it on the grid sri is good up to 0-30 and cai kills sri about 35 - 40 to 100 more power + my cai temp was 65 sri was 115 not good to hot so i am using cai and hydro shied with stainless steal cone ttp://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:27 AM

what do people think about useing heat rapping to rap a CAI down to the pod filter in the bumper? will it keep the temp away from the metal of the CAI there for reduceing the intake temp. thoughts?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

^i spose is cant not work ...

its good to see you doing your research joey and asking alot of questions, but at then end of the day the money you spend is only going to net a handful of KW compared to an evo, and its just an intake.
but what should you consider is what part of aus are you from, wet prone area that can flood, then go with either SRI or IIRC injen CAI that can be SRI,
if you are manual, go for the CAI more, coz i have SRI (in auto) and after a while heat soak kills the fun, but SRI sounds alot nicer(louder)
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a question, I have a aem cia and I keep getting hydrolock when it rains. I would like to go back to stock, but it's too damn expensive, so can I switch to a sri? I don't care about staying with the same brand, I just do not want hydrolock anymore!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by parrishr13
I have a question, I have a aem cia and I keep getting hydrolock when it rains. I would like to go back to stock, but it's too damn expensive, so can I switch to a sri? I don't care about staying with the same brand, I just do not want hydrolock anymore!
I don't see why not? No reason you can't switch to sri as both are proven to work fine
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hail to the Beard

Sweet! Hopefully this will help with my initial question. Here is my current set-up:

and this is what I want to replace with:
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?Prod=22-436R

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I will have to take my car somewhere to get this done, but is this as simple as just replacing the cia with the sri? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

if that picture is actually yours, then you can convert it to SRI without buying anything. its already made to be an SRI too.

all you'll have to do is detach the air filter, and the tubing after that short rubber coupler thats there on the CAI nearest to the battery.

you'll then attach the filter to the metal pipe thats still attached to the car.

also i forgot to add. if you're in need of a new filter from all the water damaging it, you can get them at autozone or napa. kraegen im pretty sure has them too. just go to the performance parts section.

Last edited by car852; Feb 4, 2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old Feb 4, 2010, 09:01 AM
Hail to the Beard

Yes this is my actual picture, ignore the arrow, it was used in a other thread to show where the paint code was located.

And that is awesome! I never even thought of that! After looking at the pic of the sri I was interested in buying, my cia would look exactly the same!

I know this may be a dumb question, but is this, simple re-arrangement from cia to sri, harmful at all? Again, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Beardly P; Feb 4, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

nah it was made to do that haha.

but if you start getting the check engine light like i did, just reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes.

I had to reset my ecu like 3 times before i stopped getting the check engine light. but now my cars running awesome haha.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hail to the Beard

Originally Posted by car852
nah it was made to do that haha.

but if you start getting the check engine light like i did, just reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes.

I had to reset my ecu like 3 times before i stopped getting the check engine light. but now my cars running awesome haha.
hmm this seems a little sketchy. Can anyone else give an opinion/recommendation about this?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
its happened to a few other people that you would get a CEL once switching to SRI from CAI but just a simple reset should do the trick. nothing to worry about though
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hail to the Beard

Awesome! I'm going to have to complete this tmrrw before the rain comes!

And one other thing, what's this heat shield associated with sri's I keep hearing about?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

its basically what it is. haha

it keeps the heat from going back into the intake.

here's an example. this one is obviously made by the user, but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Official "CAI vs SRI" Thread