Notices

Weird Mivec Noise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JTCB
Mivec only engages at 3.5krpm on the 2004 models if I remember properly. With the hackish tune it goes up to 4500 which I find kind of sucks because you loose bottom end and I'm not sure if you can change it with the UVTune software. Hmm so I cant hear the noise in neutral. Also seems like if I very slowly ease into it until 5k and floor it it doesn't happen. I checked under the car as much as I could and it doesn't seem like the crossmember is cracked. If I remember correctly it had been changed already. Ill try to get it up on the lift tomorrow and check to make sure. Any other possibilities?
The reason for MIVEC not engaging at low rpm is to enhance bottom end, which it does. Also, if it engages at 4500 rpm then that allows more fuel efficient highway cruising since you're likely below the engagement point now.

If the noise doesn't occur when you are easing it, then it means you are not hammering into the rpm that coincides with the mechanical vibration, so the sympathetic resonance of the part making the noise doesn't get excited as severely and you don't really hear it vibrating. It does make sense its something like a heat shield or other loose bit being excited to resonate at a certain rpm. Look closer at the sheet metal shields near the exhaust.

Last edited by RalliartN; Feb 28, 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What metal sheet are you guys talking about? It sounds like its coming from the intake area. I'm just hoping that its not something in the engine. Will be checking everything out tomorrow to make sure. Its going on the lift will check the crossmember too for those who mentioned it. hopefully itll be good news.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTCB
What metal sheet are you guys talking about? It sounds like its coming from the intake area. I'm just hoping that its not something in the engine. Will be checking everything out tomorrow to make sure. Its going on the lift will check the crossmember too for those who mentioned it. hopefully itll be good news.
Just remembered he has an OBX header, no heat shield on his car.

Possible cracks in the header's welding?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

So...

Any updates on this? I'd like to know if you found anything out. I'm quite curious about this issue lol.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rzrxn
So...

Any updates on this? I'd like to know if you found anything out. I'm quite curious about this issue lol.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. The rattle is gone as far as I can tell. I did dump a can of RESTORE in the car and then got an oil change. I usually use synthetic but I think the guy at the garage put regular oil in it. Don't know if that could have made the differance. Im curious on what type of oil you guys are running.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
amsoil signature 10w30
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
castrol syntec 5W20 (the gold coloured container)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using AMS oil now going back to Castrol Syntec.