Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is Evo worth the $ difference over Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Evo worth the $ difference over Ralliart?

I'm considering both. Any help???
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

I bought an RA, but had money not been an issue, I would have gone Evo. More aftermarket parts, track-ready out-of-the-box, AYC, Recaros, Brembos and wider tyres all make the price difference worth it. However, a few simple mods to the Ralliart, and you have better-than-stock Evo performance (in a straight line, anyway), making it a performance bargain. But the Evo is a track-ready bargain... All depends on what you want to do with it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on how you are going to use the car.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Personal question, something you need to decide for yourself.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

This topic comes up pretty frequently. Try looking for some older threads about it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
If I asked myself the same question I would go for the Evo X GSR. It is worth the extra money now. If you compared maintenance costs of the Evo X MR and the Ralliart they would be around the same because both have the SST trans and the same engines.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by deylag
If I asked myself the same question I would go for the Evo X GSR. It is worth the extra money now. If you compared maintenance costs of the Evo X MR and the Ralliart they would be around the same because both have the SST trans and the same engines.

umm? HAHA.

no.

Brembo breaks cost about 5 times as much to maintain.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Westbound&down
umm? HAHA.

no.

Brembo breaks cost about 5 times as much to maintain.
Brembo breaks? they do? never had an issue with them breaking..

If you mean BRAKES... then yes the pads cost more like 15 bucks more. I dont know thats a lot of cash ...the rotors are not that much more unless you get the two piece that come with the SE or MR. But the solution for that... buy rotors that wont wear out/ wear out very slowly.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I came from a Evo IX RS. My RS was basically my toy car. only had 15,000 miles over the 4 years that i owned it.
I decided i wanted more of a daily driver.
a MR was something i was looking at but for what i wanted out of the car I just wasn't willing to pay 10k more.
Twin clutch was a must for me since i was on a mission to build the ultimate DD and thats why i went with the RA.

All i can say is I absolutely love the RA.
My only complaint is the brakes but thats nothing an upgraded brake kit cant fix
Minor suspension mods, few bolt on's and a X turbo and this thing is going to rock!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simple answer. yes its worth it.

if you can afford it, go for it. i dont see why someone who can afford an evo X would go for a ralliart.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you would have to do alot of mods to get it to handle aswell as an evo. go evo if you can both good cars but the evo is in a league of its own IMO.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
simple answer. yes its worth it.

if you can afford it, go for it. i dont see why someone who can afford an evo X would go for a ralliart.
Depending on what you are looking for there is a big price difference. If you are comparing a RA to a GSR then there isn't that much difference (maybe 4 or 5k)
But in my case, i wanted the SST and the difference between the RA and MR is 10k. I didn't want to build a track monster or a 600hp 1/4 car. I wanted a fun, comfortable daily driver that i could enjoy on the street and maybe track every now and then. It wasn't worth the extra 10 k to get an MR.
So it all depends on what you are looking for but its not always as simple as "if you can afford a X why get a RA?"

Originally Posted by nismo n9ne
you would have to do alot of mods to get it to handle aswell as an evo. go evo if you can both good cars but the evo is in a league of its own IMO.
You would be surprised on how close the RA is to an evo...
if i were building a time attack car or a serious track car then the Evo would be my first choice. All i want is a simple and quick daily driver and the Ralliart is perfect for me.. Again, it all depends on what your needs and wants are.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2muchboost
Depending on what you are looking for there is a big price difference. If you are comparing a RA to a GSR then there isn't that much difference (maybe 4 or 5k)
But in my case, i wanted the SST and the difference between the RA and MR is 10k. I didn't want to build a track monster or a 600hp 1/4 car. I wanted a fun, comfortable daily driver that i could enjoy on the street and maybe track every now and then. It wasn't worth the extra 10 k to get an MR.
So it all depends on what you are looking for but its not always as simple as "if you can afford a X why get a RA?"

You would be surprised on how close the RA is to an evo...
if i were building a time attack car or a serious track car then the Evo would be my first choice. All i want is a simple and quick daily driver and the Ralliart is perfect for me.. Again, it all depends on what your needs and wants are.
This is the most important part. I work at a Mitsu dealer so I am always test driving Evo X's (all trims). I won't deny that it is a huge leap up in performance, but I can't justify the $5k+ price difference (IN MY OPINION/SITUATION)

The suspension is NOT bad in the RA. I take windy roads on my test drives back to back, and yes the Evo X is amazing, but the RA still holds it own. I'm sure it can be really capable with a lower, rear sway bar, wider wheels/tires. The straight line performance isn't that much different. Honestly I feel like stock Evo X's are slow after driving so many.

I'm not going to be tracking for a while. As much as I second-think myself about the Evo X since I stare at them in the showroom all day, I know the logical part of my brain says the RA is more than enough. There is no place on the street where the Evo X will prove it's worth (legally), and I feel like you'd have to track A LOT to justify the price difference.

Don't get me wrong, if I could COMFORTABLY afford the Evo X, then I would go for it 100%, but I don't think the performance difference on the street is worth stretching out your finances/funds

Last edited by Exyia; Jan 10, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

^^You and I are in the same boat
Those simple suspension mods are all the Ralliart needs.
Another thing i liked about the Ralliart was that it was almost 200 lbs lighter than the MR.
200lbs off of a car adds up and i think thats why people are so surprised when they drive the RA and compare it to the mR>
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:31 PM

i got the X for the wider body and more agressive looks. the 5speed was a plus too. and so the fact that when i pull up somewhere and someone asks me if its an Evo, i can say Yes it is lol
but seriously, like everyone said, if you can afford an Evo X ... get it

Quick Reply: Is Evo worth the $ difference over Ralliart?