Notices

Mitsubishi engine...engine light, backfiring?

Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi engine...engine light, backfiring?

Have a 2008 EVO X MR, and a 1998 Sebring with Mitsubishi engine (love Mitsu engines). Was driving the Sebring tonight and felt two slight jolts, and then the car ran rough for a few minutes with the engine light flickering on and off. I shut off the car and then on restart it worked perfectly. I just redid the entire exhaust system last week...cat, flexpipe and all three O2 sensors, and added premium gas to help it pass the emisions' test. Any opinions on what may have caused this? I had the music up loud but I imagine this was a backfiring and that has never happened before with this car.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

No one have any ideas? O2 sensor, bad gas, sometimes normal after O2 sensor change...computer resetting???
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:23 PM

maybe it was misfiring? that happened to me a couple times check ur spark plugs?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by s21197
maybe it was misfiring? that happened to me a couple times check ur spark plugs?
Thanks for the advice...it just might be that as they are due to be changed. Major tune-up...that's the next thing I'm going to do, but it's a big job as the spark plugs are under the manifold in this car. I'm just waiting to see if the car passes the emissions testing this week before I put in another dime. On another site, one of the guys said he had an old Ford and after he changed the O2 sensors that same thing happened a few times and then never again...he said it was common after changing O2 sensors, but who really knows!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryl
Thanks for the advice...it just might be that as they are due to be changed. Major tune-up...that's the next thing I'm going to do, but it's a big job as the spark plugs are under the manifold in this car. I'm just waiting to see if the car passes the emissions testing this week before I put in another dime. On another site, one of the guys said he had an old Ford and after he changed the O2 sensors that same thing happened a few times and then never again...he said it was common after changing O2 sensors, but who really knows!
Did you happen to reset your ecu at all before that?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 007WRX
Did you happen to reset your ecu at all before that?
No, and I asked the guy who was doing the install of the entire emisions system if he was going to do that, and he said that it wasn't needed and that the computer would reset itself. Do you still think I should do it? Disconect battery, step on brake?...procedure?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a need to do anything at this point. If the problem is non-persistent, I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts becoming a frequent occurrence, then look into it.

Ryan
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 007WRX
I don't see a need to do anything at this point. If the problem is non-persistent, I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts becoming a frequent occurrence, then look into it.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan,
I drove it twice since then and haven't had any problems. I also thought about resetting the ECU, yet drove it for a week after it was installed and didn't have any issue until that night. I'm just hoping that it will pass the emissions test this week. Do you have those in your part of the country? I'm in Ottawa, and originally from Alberta...no emissions tests there either.
Corinne