Notices

Grimmspeed problems! Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimmspeed problems! Help please!!

Alright dudes...so recently I found out that I had a grimmspeed ebc...(I know you probably think I'm an idiot for finding it 5 months after I bough the car)...but anyways I was always wondering why I was boosting so hard with only a cobb ap stage 2 tune and bolt ons. So at WOT i can peak at 30 pounds then taper to 24 to 25 usually. Ive been reading everywhere I can about the "Grimmspeed effect" where you can over boost without the proper tune and damage my beautiful 4b11. As of now, she is tucked away in then garage for the winter build. But i need to know: 1. is peaking at 30 to 32 pounds and tapering to 24 25ish too much boost for the car? and 2. is there anyway I can modify this ebc with my cobb ap??? please for the love of God help me because I'm already fearing the worst after driving 5 months not knowing about it.

Let me know what you guys think!!

Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

what are the mods? and yeah you can deff lower the boost by using access tune racer from cobb, letme know if you need some help i can try to help you out, it also depends on the mods and engine build that you had, for us to decide if it is safe or not, im on stock engine and running 26 psi tapering to 22 on an fp green. around 415 to the wheels.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Is your car seeing any knock? If not and everything tune wise looks ok then I really wouldn't worry to much about it. If you post up your mods as suggested maybe we can give you some help.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
For the love of God get your car tuned or remove the 3-port BCS!!! You should not be using that unless you're tuned for it. If you don't have a good local tuner you can either get remote tuned or tweak the tables yourself with Cobb ATR software.

You are very lucky your engine hasn't blown up yet.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

lol kracka is the man, hes always got good advice, like a wise man once said right? hehe ;
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:54 AM

Alright I want to start off by saying, I KNOW, THE PREVIOUS OWNER FAILED TO MENTION A 3 PORT BOOST CONTROLLER D:!!!
Now with that said, my mods are ETS FMIC, UICP, LICP, K&N 5in. Cone Intake, MAP down pipe, ETS V2 catback exhaust, Deustchwerk 800cc injectors.....along with the grimmspeed boost controller set at 3 port (as opposed to the bleed setting) and this is all tune on cobb stage 2 AEM on 93 octane.

Hope this helps figure out the problem

OH! I did an engine knock count on my AP and its got no knock...so thats really the only thing keeping me from bursting into tears.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Ok that is good info so basically it was tuned with the 3 port or am I reading wrong?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Ok that is good info so basically it was tuned with the 3 port or am I reading wrong?
Well as far as I know, I'm not sure if the previous owner tuned the 3 port with the car. when I got the car, I took it and got the cobb AP and just downloaded the AMS* stage 2 tune....so i don't know if that messes with the grimmspeed, but that is what I have done. Is there a way of seeing if it is affecting the engine??
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

If you dled the tune from AMS, and loaded it in the car then it wont be set for that. As Kracka said take it out of the system being it isnt tune for that.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
If you dled the tune from AMS, and loaded it in the car then it wont be set for that. As Kracka said take it out of the system being it isnt tune for that.
Only one problem.....one of the stock solenoids is missing...I just did a quick run to my buddies house and data logged my knock retard and I only got 2 readings. One was at .3 and another at .7...thats like 1 or 2 knocks right? Is that bad or is that manageable?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

can you log us a couple of runs at WOT? but only at WOT from 2k-7k rpm? and btw this is on a stock turbo right ?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by thiagobr03
can you log us a couple of runs at WOT? but only at WOT from 2k-7k rpm? and btw this is on a stock turbo right ?
Yes this is on the stock turbo.

......and unfortunately I cannot log anything...she is currently put away for the winter and I was just looking to see if it was just a better idea to sacrifice the boost by taking off the three port until I can find a proper place to tune it.