Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

how much power am i making?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not saying having a car that runs 11.9s with race gas and stock turbo, I am saying having a car run sub 11.5s with stock turbo...there is a big difference there. You also have a evo9 which have been shown to make great power over an evo8 with just simple bolt ons, I for one have an evo8 and I am not so fortunate to make the same type of power. We need cams to really be on par with an evo9. Thanks for informing me that the evo8 has a turbo hahaha, yea I know that, I was meaning a turbo kit in the sense of upgrading to like a 3076 or higher being that you are pushing the stock block past what it likes to hold. Nitrous on stock turbo will yield you the same results as most turbo kits for much much less. I know you aren't against it, you make it sound like nitrous is dangerous to the motor, its no more dangerous than adding a turbo kit to the stock block. The biggest problem with nitrous is that its so easy to up the jets...too easy, you really need self control, I can attest to that, my car ran great with stock clutch and 50 shot, I go to the race track for the dsm/dodge shootout and after my first pass bump it to a 75 shot and smoke the stock clutch instantly...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I will tell you that people have been running turbo upgrades on stock engines for a while now yielding over 500whp and have been holding that power for quite sometime now. And no nitrous isnt less expensive you would know this if you have dealt with it for awhile. Lets do the math shall we? The usual turbo upgrade goes for around 3400-4000. Installation is around 7-800. So lets just say 4500 for everything that way its done right.

Now with the nitrous you depending on the tye of kit you buy lets say you bought a average wet system. Which runs for usually 500. Then it would be a good idea to get a remote opener, bottle warmer, a bottle gauge, a psi gauge, and a n2o filter. That all will run you around about another 400. Installation is around 4-500 depending on the place. So lets just say 1500. Then the cost to fill up the bottle all the time. So lets say you have a 12# bottle and you go through it once a week. Well nitrous per# is like 5bucks now. So to fill up the bottle a week is 60bucks. So do the math for a year. 60 times 52 is 3120 so add the 1500 thats already 4620 and thats one yr bud. There is a local guy here that lives in Vista he has a custom chamillion colored evo 8 that has a stock engine with a upgraded turbo kit with cams that is running about 540whp and has been doing so for over 2 yrs now. Thats just one guy.

Another thing is the power is instant. Whereas nitrous you have to go open the bottle whether it is remote or not. So dont think for one second ou are saving money unless you plan on getting rid of your car within a year.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Did you not read what has already been stated about a billion times? You can have a 11 sec car with mods that will make your car much more reliable in the long run with little investment as well. Look at my sig, I spent less than 1300 and I am running either low 12's or high 11's and barely if not any people have had detreental internal damage due to simple bolt ons. Also it does require tuning because the car comes stock with a turbo kit-duh! You do know evos are turboed right? UNless you are referring to a turbo upgrade?

Also I am not "AGAINST" using nitrous I just told you I use it myself. However, there are better alternative and safer means of getting power in an evo.

Now of course people have used nitrous before in their evos but I am just saying its kinda pointless unless you really need to beat someone. I like having instant power whenever I need it. With the nitrous its not like that at all.
What was your trap speed on that low 12 or high 11 second ET?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

I havent yet ran the 1/4. However, predicating from my trap speeds and et's on the 1/8 they are definitely low 12 sec or maybe even high 11 sec runs. This guy right here ran 12.2 in the 1/4 with blazing heat and huumidity with trap speeds of 87-88 in the 1/8 while running 7.8. So I think its safe to say I am a low 12 sec high 11 sec car according to the 1/8 mile data in my sig.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:31 AM

not to keep arguing, id love to have a big turbo kit on my car but the nitrous i already had, only set me back about $500 with a heater and pressure gauge and i installed it all in 3 hours, cost me $3 a pound to fill it up and the 10 pound bottle lasts me about a month so to me its much cheaper for right now and i driven in big turbo evos, they pull great up top but are nothing compared to the hit of a stock turbo and nitrous, so to each his own, i will go back to the track when the da is lower, i think the car will hit high 11s, remember the car only has an airfilter and a muffler delete and a mbc set at 20psi and nitrous, ever other part is stock, also that was the first time i ever took the car to the track and havnt practiced driving it very much either so if i hit 11s i think its decent, then when i upgrade and get more parts it will just only run better
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes however, not alot of people can get nitrous for 3 bucks a # let alone take a month to go through a 10# bottle. So you are a rarity in this instance. Where in florida are you? I happen to be in palm bay right now visiting friends and fam.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:59 AM

im located right outside tampa, i wish it wasnt so hot right now id like to see if i can get a better time at the track
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

O ok yeah you are right across from me on the other coast. My aunt lives in clearwater. I was just over there about a week ago. However, you would do soo much better if you lived in san diego. Actually its not that bad here compared to other years. I remember coming here before when its over 100 and when florida had problems with fires. Now its actually not that hot.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CC, you say it's easy to run low 11s all day with a small shot, but have you done it yet? I haven't seen you post an 11-sec slip yet despite high trap speeds, and I certainly haven't seen you claim low 11s, whether spraying or not.

It is absolutely false to say that you don't need tuning or anything for a 50-shot. That is extremely dangerous to say for both yourself and for others. A 50-shot can EASILY BLOW THE ENGINE in a heartbeat if it's not setup properly, if it's jetted wrong, if there is too much timing left in. Good gracious, saying you need NO TUNING for a 50-shot is just unbelievable to me. Then, saying you're running a 75-shot...wow...why hasn't the car gone 11.0 yet?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

^Dont worry warrtalon only time will tell.