Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

11.57 stock turbo minimal mods

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I my 6 years of DSM experience I have always had a solid 5 mph and 5 tenth difference between pump gas and race gas times. Oddly enough, James' numbers of 113 and 118 fit that pretty well. With my car my best pump mph was 110, and my best race gas mph was 115. Again, 5 mph. It never fails, and I've run more different types or turbos/setups than I could even recall. As always, YMMV.

Allegedly the 2g ECU will automatically determine what normal noise is, so even if the knock sensor sensitivity is a little different it will still adjust for that and look for knock that is above that "normal" noise range. It appeared to work perfectly fine in my case. In fact, on a couple of runs that ended up at 13.5:1 all the way down the track with no signal to the WGA and a 75 shot, the knock sensor saved my ***. In addition to retarding timing a few degrees, DSMlink shut off the nitrous. Between that little feature and running non-projected #8 plugs my motor was saved at least twice. And naturally the CEL trigger works just like it does in DSMs.

The only complaint I have about DSMlink in the EVO comes not from DSMlink itself, but from trying to run a 2g ECU in an EVO. It works surprisingly well, but still does some weird ****.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the heat has a lot to do with it. It was 70* when I went 116 and the temp was rising steadily. I forget about humidity. With our recent weather around the NE and some 50* temps and faster shifting, Im pretty confident I can get it. My friend's EVO trapped high 117s and he cant get me when we go from a roll-on to the top of 4th gear.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the great times James. That's some incredible driving. Seems you're making some very nice power for the mods as well. I'm hoping to go back here in this cooler weather to see what kind mph increase I can get. My current time shown in my sig was ran back in August. I'm also hoping I can nail an 11.99 or better. Unfornutely my poor shifting and lack of seat time at the track is hurting me so we'll see.

I'm curious, and this question is for everyone, how much of an impact does running a twin disc have on shifting compared to a single disc street clutch like the ACT?

And to Jeff's question about the Evo's knock sensor being sensitive enough to report knock correctly to the '95 ecu, all I can say is it seems to be working correctly for me. I don't know any other way to determine its compatibility with the '95 ecu. Hearing from Kevin's experiences as well as several others, it seems to be working just fine. I think Dave Mertz made a comment about this on the DSMLink forums and he seemed to believe there should be no problems as well. Thats good enough for me.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have some comparison info soon, I'm switching from the RRE no name clutch (~3000 pound plate with ACT type disc), since I finally killed it, to a twin disc (most likely the Exedy).

And I too have learned not to doubt Tom and Dave. Those guys are incredible. When DSMlink is officially released for the EVO some day I'm first in line.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I should have some comparison info soon, I'm switching from the RRE no name clutch (~3000 pound plate with ACT type disc), since I finally killed it, to a twin disc (most likely the Exedy).

And I too have learned not to doubt Tom and Dave. Those guys are incredible. When DSMlink is officially released for the EVO some day I'm first in line.
I've been jumping in the DSMLink forums here and there but there doesn't seem to be much EVO talk there.

I now have officially taken this thread off topic. Very sorry.

Great run on the stock turbo. You must shift like a ****!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I personally like the twin disc(tilton ceram) casue it feels more secure and has a lighter assembly. You need to know how to powershift in order to move on up and if you do then you will really feel a big difference in how it helps especially in the higher gear ratio. Totally different combanition.