Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excellent analysis... Currently on my 17s i have the winter tires you described, the Dunlop M3s at 235/45/17 and they weight 25 pounds... If you are saying that the Hoosiers will be lighter then i am assuming a weight in the low 20s, maybe around 22 pounds... This would be ideal!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 9sec9
OK, I'm about to get windy again, sorry in advance.
The MT bike slick shouldn't even be used on our cars based on safety issues, sidewalls, etc. I understand that it IS used, but not an option for many of us as well as it doesn't fit the stock wheel properly. The QTP is 26.1" tall and is great if you have 15" wheels and need a little more mph over the stock size of 25.2-25.3". Knowing that many Evo owners won't go to small brakes and 15's, we've narrowed the options down to 17's, since the 18's shouldn't be used for performance (read weight and sidewall) reasons. The remaining decent options are the BFG 225 and the Nitto555R's. I've used both, extensively. The BFG's have great compound and bite with very good tire patch for a 225. The issue is the sidewalls are not ideal for our cars at the dragstrip. We need some sidewall to work with the suspension. It also is lacking in the height when it comes to a modded Evo. We can easily run out of gear with a stock tire height (or shorter) such as the BFG. The Nitto has ideal dimensions, (25.7 tall, 8 " tread width and the sidewall is reasonable compared to everything else available.) Problem is we don't have much of an option to get heat into the tire on our AWD cars. The Nitto is a harder compound and doesn't have a lot of bite when you launch at 6000+. The best option is simply to get the tire softer to begin with. At present, a soft tire that fits the stock size wheel, but adds a little more 'dimensions' isn't available, until now. The QTP's aren't available in a 17. The Nittos are too hard. The BFGs aren't BEEFY and tall enough.

All of the best attributes are put into this new tire. Soft compound, little more tread width, little more height and a lot lighter than a snow or allweather tire in similar size. I have a set of 255 Dunlop M3's that have great compound, but way too heavy for drag racing. If I used the M3's, I lose all of the weight savings that the light wheels brought to the table, besides adding the weight to the circumference of the tire as opposed to being closer to center with stock wheels and tires. Best option is a new size, better compound and hopefully lighter weight than anything available. I'll say it again, I'm long winded but I prefer to give complete answers than partial responses leaving questions.
Very good information and I agree 100%. I have my fingers crossed for this tire to work! Should be interesting. Thanks for all of the hard work you and Indy have put into this.
You know, if you need someone to try this tire in the South you have someone who would be more than willing to give it a shot
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Nick, as you well know, accountants rule our lives. Mine is still scratching her head wondering how to handle my "Investment". We're working that out while the tires are being scrutinized by the engineers at Hoosier. I'm getting pumped myself. I'm so excited that I actually forgot to make sure that I get a set too. Indy, put me down for a set. The Import Face Off has to have Dot tires.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
I just got off the phone with my contact at Hoosier Tire. The first test tires are being made as I type. I will be receiving my test tires late next week, and if all goes well, production will begin in late August. A big thanks goes out to 9sec9, as he helped move this project along by purchasing the entire first run of these tires in order to move things along quicker. They will be available thru me as soon as production starts. Feel free to shoot me a PM as things get closer. We will post up details as they become available. Indy
I talked to Hoosier about that size DR back a few months ago after some Evo guys on another forum were interested in 245/45/17 after Hoosier made me a set of 225/45/17 for Testing, the rep at Hoosier West said it wouldn't be a problem making the 245/45/17 after I was finished testing the 225's but I wasn't able to get them tested since my car was down. It took them 2 weeks to pop out my 225/45/17 test tires since they already had that size mold for their road racing tires.

Well I guess I dont have to see about them doing the 245/45 now since you are already dealing with it. Just suprised you had to order a full production run to get things rolling.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Hoosier needed to build new molds for the sidewalls, with a firm commitment from 9sec9 for a production run this moved the project forward.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Hoosier needed to build new molds for the sidewalls, with a firm commitment from 9sec9 for a production run this moved the project forward.
Odd thats not what they told me or what they did for my 225/45/17's. They just had to make new side plates while using the same molds for the production run.

Here is my posts about both the 225/45/17 and 245/17 I made back in April on Evo Empire.
http://evoempire.org/index.php/topic...71&#entry40671

My reply to the guys after talking to the Hoosier rep about the 245/45/17's.
http://evoempire.org/index.php/topic...post__p__44678

My Hoosier 225/45/17 test tires were able to give me traction while making more power then I was making while running my BFG's in the same size. Even while running more tire pressure in the Hoosiers I was able to get plenty of traction while making 650whp, I had very little traction at 580whp with the BFG's and they would even break loose in 2nd gear. Traction was so good with the Hoosiers my clutch couldn't hold the power, still pulled 1.54 with the clutch slipping and then completely coming part by 2nds gear.

Video http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...tch_694950.htm

Last edited by Audi2ptzero; Jul 29, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you for testing the 225’s, they sound very promising. In the end it really does not matter who did what first, the bottom line is there is a new option for community.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jul 29, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Tom, that was an excellent explanation on the tire!!
Thanks it was not long winded but thorough!

Lets get on with the testing!!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
tom i sent ya a pm.

p.s. put me on the list for the 2nd batch of tires. i just bought some 555R tires but if this works out ill make them my DD tire and the Hoosier my bite tire.

thanks guys for adding some better options to the evo community.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Im a bit confused I heard from my friend that Hoosiers will released a slicks for 17's but he title of this thread is DRAG RADIALS?

So which one is it? DR's or Slicks?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Your friends comment is in error. This thread is the official 'word' of what's happening.
Slicks may come at some time, but we're certainly not privy nor testing them. Would we? yes. Are we? no
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Hey indy I got a buddy with a subaru interested in a DR set for his 17's. Whats your email so he can get in touch with you about getting on the list.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

jkitasaki@wilsonmanifolds.com
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

The retail price from Hoosier is 200.00 each. We are working on shipping rates to get the best possible price. Our list has been updated from PM's and posts by the date received. It's looking like there is plenty of interest with 35 sets requested so far. Thanks, Indy

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jul 30, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

do you think MT will jump on the band wagon and make these too? i think if hoosier pops these puppys out first in this size and they sell like crazy it won't be long til others start making this size. what are your thoughts?

I just found these on the MT site:

3740R P205/40R17 24X8.50R17 19 R2 7.0-8.0 7.5 8.3 7.3 23.5 74

don't know if they would fit on our stock rim though because of it being a 205. am i right on that? but then again the tire is 8.5 wide. on the site it says it will fit on a
7.0 - 8.0.

Last edited by FL_SilverEvo8; Jul 31, 2009 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!