Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Heal toe shifting.....anyone do it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 04:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by althemean
The street is a great place to practice. I learned from reading the book by "Bob Bodurant on High Performance Driving" I bought that book when I was 17, its my bible on how to drive fast and correctly.
Same here. I bought the book more than 20 years ago and still have it on my shelf.

I heel and toe as a matter of course. I do it, because it's fun and engaging (no pun intended).
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do it. 6 - 5 - 4 -3 -2 -1 All day everyday. Keeps me crisp for the track. Only problem is that when I get in my Porsche I have to s l o w everything down or I'll miss a gear, the Evo's box shift's great IMO.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Good reason to do it on the street= Its one of those racing techniques that you can practice on the street. (Along with looking ahead, and hand position)

Just start with finding where to put your foot for the brake and gas, and start giving the throttle blip, dont even have to put it in gear as you do it, you can add that later as you feel comfortable, or just stay on the clutch as you do it coming up to lights and get the timing down without the extra clutch use.

What it does for equipment is save the synchros and makes shifts smoother, and by keeping the revs up when you let out on the clutch it will keep the wheels from locking up from the shock of fast car/slow engine. (can cause a spin quick in rwd)

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
How so you practice look ahead and hand position in the street?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Practiving those on the street is easy because it doens't require any law-breaking behavior. (such as slip angle and such might)

Looking ahead is really pretty simple. In traffic I look way ahead, (though SUVs make this hard sometimes) many cars forward of where you are.

On the track or autocross course you are usually going to find the corner-exit as a point to focus on, and you can do this on the street as well: going through that sweeper on the way to work, practice looking "across" it, instead of what is only right in front of the car.

Hands positions? This is just how to work the wheel, i prefer and teach shuffle steer over the "hand over hand" method. Shuffle steer is where each hand has its "side" of the wheel and doesn't cross over to the other side. If you don't do it already, this is a tricky thing to gfet used to, which is why practicing it every day works to help on the track.

Jon
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Good to know. I never thought about that. I do practice left foot braking, but looking ahead in autocross is cruzial and difficult to master.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:48 AM

I think doing this is not hard, but being fast at doing this is. Just my .02.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

This is a good thread. I'm sitting here at work practicing heel and toe with my invisible pedals and gear lever mounted to the desk
Old Aug 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Yep... I've been doing heel toe downshifting since I got my license at 15. It took awhile to get it down, but it's been very beneficial at the track.