Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How to launch.........

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2002, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to launch.........

Tonight I was just testing out my EVO VII, and how the hell do you launch without damaging anything? Do you have to ride the clutch?. I have a few friends who have had to order new transfer cases for their TME's, VI's and V's, and I do not wanna have to do that. Much rather spend that money on hoes, , eerrr, I mean wheels
Old Aug 14, 2002, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trial & error... hopefully more trial than error.

But why would you ever want to ride the clutch?

I think you should hold the revs at about 3-4Gs, ease the the clutch till it starts to grab, feed more gas and let the clutch slip alittle 'till you feel the tires grip (maybe a little wheelspin) and you feel forward motion, then dump the clutch and floor the gas!!!
Takes practice to get smooth.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

depends on what kind of clutch you have. but basically you have to rev. the engine to make the boost neutral (helps if you have a boost gauge) then as the boost reaches 0 bar, drop the clutch and floor the gas. you can then smell all the money you are going to spend on a new clutch if you are running the stock one
Old Aug 14, 2002, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

yeah but

Thanks guys, but if you dump the clutch, the car takes off like a rocket. Practically punches you in the back. However, remember you are starting from standstill, so something has to give. If the wheels do not slip, then the clutch has to slip, and if the clutch does not slip, then the Transfer Case will break. This is if one intends on drag racing and has numerous hard launches. Wheelspin is very unlikely as we are dealing with 4WD. On my 300ZX, you can just dump the clutch and break the back wheels loose until they finally hook and off you go. No damage to drivetrain. However, with the EVO, especially if running a high performance clutch, the Transfer Case tends to break before the wheels or clutch slips. For hard launches, the WRX STi drivetrain can take alot more pressure, as this setup does not include a Transfer Case (i think). However, I have a few friends who have managed to destroy their gearboxes. Should I just not consider draging the car?
Old Aug 17, 2002, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:17 PM

Hi guys, I did a full day of 0 to 500 metre runs and top speed runs from a standing starts for the ten of the best day a couple of weeks ago. My car is running a helix organic clutch which stood up to the abuse very well. I found my car launched best by holding 5000 rev's and letting the clutch out but not side steping it.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 05:08 PM

Trini7,

The whole idea of a launch is have your turbo spooled up before you release the clutch. Hence you should get a 'punch in the back'. And yes the car should take of like a rocket.

Its heaps of fun and there is nothing better than feeling her break out on you as you launch very hard.

I usually sit my evo3rs on about 5000rpm then dump the clutch. You need to hold the high revs and let the clutch out as much as possible before it engages. Then its just a feeling you get once you've done a few launches and you know when the time is to dump the clutch while slamming the accelerator to the floor.

Just my 2cents
Old Aug 22, 2002, 05:11 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to add...

These cars are pretty tough but launching will always put strain on the gearbox, clutch and drivetrain. But thats just the price you pay for the fun.

I've launched my cars heaps of times and she's still holding strong.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

a new Transfer Case is an expensive price to pay for fun.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Evo VII was drag racing this weekend and broke Transfer Case when he launched. (not mine) Stock, power not turned up. Guess I'll stay away from Drag Racing my EVO
Old Sep 7, 2002, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

good idea
i cant afford a evo...just a US lancer and I would never try that
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:20 AM
NeX
Evolving Member

Agreed!

Is it safe to assume to launch in auto just start out in low gear and brake/rev it till you to you go?