Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

trail braking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robi...doing your "Jeckel and Hyde" thing again? What happened to the open mind thing. Please go and re-read the Race Car Engineering article to bide your time till we meet on the track (I think it is obvious to both of us at this point that the track is were we will put this to rest). Glad to at least get you to think about it, next time you're out on the track think about it then. O my look at the time, I have to go read some more books with formulas in them now
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by siegelracing
I'm an engineer. Georgia Tech, the MIT (or Harvard) of the South. Acutally I believe Georgia Tech's mechanical engineering program always outranks Harvard's. Maybe not always Stanford or Cornell, but always Harvard. I don't have near the resume that Chrono does, but I own, and have read and re-read almost every driving book ever written. I quite literally have an entire bookcase of nothing but driving and vehicle dynamics books.

Not that I have lived in the written word, I also was a factory driver for a shifter kart team. Granted you don't have the shock set-up, but we traveled the country running in some of the most competitive events ever run in North America. Competitive as defined by 45 competitors covered by maybe 1.5 seconds in qualifying. Yes that means if you are 1.5 second off the leader's pace, you start (if you make the main) in 45th. My best run ever was after a "qualifying position based on when you registered" run from 69th to 7th in 11 laps. If the chain hadn't broken I would have caught at least 4th, but 62 passes in 11 laps was a blast and a half.

Anyway, I have been setting up, racing, driving, and instructing in cars for a while now, and I am looking at possibly 3 teams to work with as race engineer. It seems like Robi has done quite a bit of track work. But I, like Chrono have yet to see even an attempt at an explanation of how it would not be faster to utilitze trail braking.

I don't think that the point of Max front grip can be made too much. Almost every production based race car will do everything they can to get max fron grip, and then balance the rear to match. Robi, your question about the outside front is certainly valid. The VAST majority of students that I have are happy to try and drive "through" a push problem. They will let that outside front just cook. Like Chrono said, trail-braking adds download to that outer front, thereby increasing its grip CAPACITY, which at a given load means you are working the tires less.

The corner entry over-steer is blast of a way to drive. It's is undoubtably more fun than running a more "stuck" line, but it's not faster. I have driven plenty of vehicle that had corner entry oversteer. It's a blast, turn-in, flat the gas and counter-steer through the corner. Some were pretty fast, in fact I won a number of races with them, and they would sometimes show pretty even tire temps, but having the rear over the slip angle of peak grip CANNOT be the fastest way round.

I guess that's another point to make. A pnuematic tire has an interesting plot of slip angle versus grip. Grip increases with slip angle quite linearly to about 6 degrees (different for different tires). Then it starts to round off, then there is little hump from say 6.6 to 6.8, then it rolls into a quick drop. This is one of the things that seperates Michael Shumacher from the rest of the world. The best of the best operate entirely on that little hump. Plenty of people can play from 5.8 to 7.2, no problem, never too out of shape... BUT playing over the drop-off means 2 things; 1, you do not have as much grip as one the peak, therefore you CANNOT (physics here guys) be going as fast, 2, you are cooking your tires faster than the guy who is at the same grip level over on the lower side of slip angle.

Taken to extremes, the pitch it in, tail-out driving style is basically rallying. While again, probably the most fun you can have, and crazy quick on loose surfaces in a relatively unkown corner, it's just not faster on pavement. Even the rally guys will tell you, the more unsure of the corner they are they farther they pitch it, the better they know the corner, the less they have to kick the tail. This argument doesn't play directly to the trail-braking argument, but it's late here, and I'm tired
Good stuff Scott, keep it coming
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by robi
I just went over the datalogs @ streets of willow the TIGHTEST track we run and I drop below 60 mph 3 times for a total of 4.958 seconds on a 1:12 second lap..so all this "time I've been wasting".... ie not trail braking when entering slower corners, is contained with in 6% total lap time and in reality 1% total lap time (time I was under braking for these second gear "slow" corners) so I can get a 50% improvement (I'm good ;-) No? so that's 0.1 second... .)
Does you car understeer on entry and mid-corner in those slow corners?

Originally Posted by robi
(like Tarzan in the 460 hp XS engineering EVO at the Time attack what a beginner! me in my stock turbo Stage IV). Oh in the skyline Tarzan Kicked all us US guys collective BUTTs so I think he was without doubt the best driver there in a car he knows but the USDM EVOs are different from the JDM EVO's he drives over there.)
How about Sammuel? He was there and beat Tarzan out for the Mopar drift seat (and has since one the championship ), he also was many seconds faster than you in cars he has never driven on a track he had never been on. He is one of my instructors and does trail brake.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:27 AM

Sammuel is the MAN. I had the pleaseure to watch him decimate the competition at Drift Atlanta. I thought he was doing mostly the Ride and Drive things with Mercedes, what's he do with you?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by siegelracing
Sammuel is the MAN. I had the pleaseure to watch him decimate the competition at Drift Atlanta. I thought he was doing mostly the Ride and Drive things with Mercedes, what's he do with you?
He does do some independent stuff but mostly works for us (e-motion). He is in Long Island right now doing the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience, I head there on Monday. Tanner is there as well (known as Iceslidenfool here). He races pro-rally and is a drifting fool as well. They are the guys I'll bring out for the Vishnu Driving Schools this fall in Cali.. So take your Dramamine, they will introduce you to a very advanced ride-a-long technique called "trail barfing"

Last edited by chronohunter; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Vishnu Driving Schools in the fall eh? Um.. Yes please. I'd like two..

Terry S
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chronohunter
Does you car understeer on entry and mid-corner in those slow corners?

No slighty loose on entry perfectly neutral as the throttle picks up

How about Sammuel? He was there and beat Tarzan out for the Mopar drift seat (and has since one the championship ), he also was many seconds faster than you in cars he has never driven on a track he had never been on. He is one of my instructors and does trail brake.

But he didn't do it in an EVO or did I miss the whole point of this thread?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I keep seeing RRE this and RRE that in this thread. Well _I_ am RRE. John gave Metaphysical, a rookie driver on a track he'd never seen before the advice to not trail brake. Good advice for him. This does not mean we never trail brake. This does not mean a car can not be trail braked on our set up.

Our set up... what is it? Seems like everyone knows exactly what it is. It isnt anything. It is our best shot after talking in length with the driver about his experince level and preferences on his car. That is it. Robi has his preferences and he gets what he likes, is comfortable with and what makes him fastest. John gave Metaphysical what he needed. If it is a magazine contest with a skid pad event and editors that love to slide, then it is that. With our experience with this one car, we do a pretty good job of making people happy with something as subjective as a suspension set up by remote control from across the country.

Right now John is excelling at busting his *** finishing a roll cage and prepping an EVO for an upcoming event so he wont chiming in on this thread just now.

Mike W
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike makes a good point. Is it really established that John sets up his JIC's for only straight line braking and progressive application of throttle through slower corners? I'm still not sure how the RRE JICs figure into this discussion.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Yes, but it would be funny to watch
Yeah it would be hilarious...your'e exactly right Shiv!!! And you know something, I really don't think you actually realize how funny it would be!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ricardon
Yeah it would be hilarious...your'e exactly right Shiv!!! And you know something, I really don't think you actually realize how funny it would be!
About as funny as watching Robi drive at OTC Never seen anyone forget their turn in point at Turn 1 of LV and drive straight off into the dirt. I have it on video and it is classic. I also have pics of his car missing his front bumper from his off track excusion at T-hill. And those are the only two times I actually watched him drive. Maybe that is what he meant about dirt track racing I know I'm missing out on a lot more and I can't wait until December!

-tron
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lambtron@vishnu
About as funny as watching Robi drive at OTC Never seen anyone forget their turn in point at Turn 1 of LV and drive straight off into the dirt. I have it on video and it is classic. I also have pics of his car missing his front bumper from his off track excusion at T-hill. And those are the only two times I actually watched him drive. Maybe that is what he meant about dirt track racing I know I'm missing out on a lot more and I can't wait until December!

-tron

Posts like this are rediculous and inflamatory, and help cement the assumptions that many people associated witht he Vishnu camp are just, well, dicks.

Percy
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hagakure
Shiv makes a good point here. Would antone here argue with Karl Malone or John Stockton about the most effective way to set screens or play proper defense? There is certainly a time to consider the source of any type of knowledge or mastery. This is one of them, in my opinion.

Percy
Whooohoo! Now that we're relating it to basketball, I know we're making sense of this stuff.

Regardless this thread is STILL really good and packed full of info. We should make it a sticky, "howto."

Cheers,

jcnel.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Posts like this are rediculous and inflamatory, and help cement the assumptions that many people associated witht he Vishnu camp are just, well, dicks.

Percy
oh lighten up Percy. It's all in jest. And it's not like our comments are unprovoked. Robi hasn't exactly been the most charitable with his posts regarding us

Still good content nonetheless. Keep the tech rollin'!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:00 PM

Percy
um i think you forgot to read the post right before it. you know the one that provoked it... and i'm not in the vishnu 'camp' if that's what you're thinking.

Quick Reply: trail braking