Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

trail braking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backing it in is relative I mean I have a easy to rotate car that I can "catch" with the throttle (I almost never need to counter steer to stop the cars rotation) and as mike says no one is anti everything I use the lines in the RCE mag but I "Diamond the corner rather than parablic it..These are TT lines not racing lines I requested the car turn in easy with bias to being a hint loose from off throttle (looser) to 25% throttle just starting to go dead neutral it stays neutral for the next 50% of the throttle range and just starts to push when you get over 80% throttle so a typical corner is heavy late straight braking off brake turn on throttle all prety much wit one motion (heal and toe has the foot on both pedals so you dont lose any time/coast here soo I've already got the car rotated deep into the first part of the corner and stop the rotation by progressive throttle application (I can alter the cars mid corner attitude by over 30 degrees with throttle alone) keeping the car free DRIVING off the corner with a slight push but preventing the AWD system from binding up or even worse getting out of the throttle in a car with too much rear grip as it starts to swing the tail out...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
As for the magazine guys liking it they are all super nice guys and enthusiasts but none are professional racers...
Paul
When you assume...

Several magazine editors are currently, or have previously, raced professionally.

For example Dave Coleman from Sport Compact Car runs and has won in SCCA Pro Rally and last I checked that was a professional series. He was the overall class champion last year in the California Rally Series and he is typically out testing on a weekly basis.

Their are many more out their like him, I just figured I'd use a name you are probably already familiar with.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:45 PM
Former Sponsor

I still think (no know) adding grip to a tire (and then using it) adds more heat to that tire's system as you continue to do this it overheats....the only cure is to balance the car for a given track but er on the little bit too loose... BTW have you seen the AERO on the front of my car? (or the rear for that matter? We develope better than 300lbs of downforce by 100 mph with the bias towards the front and then dial the rear wing in to "plant the rear" in high speed corners like #8 (130MPH flat in 5th) at WSIR. Last track day at WSIR Did the fast time of the day and second fastest time of the weekend on Saturday...Oh this was against Vett.s vipers AMGMercs BMW's Porsches et.al...But as shiv so clearly pointed out in post #120

Beating other improperly set-up EVOs,(or other cars "added by robi") driven by amateur to intermediate drivers who are still learning the fundamentals of high performance driving does not make you gospel. Running record smashing times at the 'Ring with only 2 days of practice does

So where are the time slips? and I saw the post with the Projected"extrapolated lap times we all know what kind of engineering/science depends on extrapolated data (bad science/engineering) Don't claim what isn't yours, REALLY don't do it to try and discredit others. (I learned this in Kgarten) Was shiv so smart that he skipped this part of school?
I've trail braked my evo to TRY and set faster times against the datalogger if ther is one corner in a 1 minute lap you use this for your faster for 2 laps then your front tire is starting to overheat and you give back the time in ONE lap use this in two corners and the front goes away so fast you don't even get one lap faster...But I'm just a fat old man reading my datalogs (with good reflexes and a lot of seat time)...on damn near every form of wheeled vehicle...No school (well hard knocks) and tell lambie boy I've had my car off track (stopped) 4 times for the record...(The OTC Was a antilock brake system failure) not a bad score considering the total track days...
or the success..seebelow

Last edited by robi; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

damn, all this for an omori gauge?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor

No I got the gauge (took over 5 months) and threw it away as soon as I got it (well it's in the garage somewhere but around here that's almost like being in the trash) ;-). shiv has called me a liar on these boards and looks to undermine discredit many things I offer to the EVO community (and states deliberate falsehoods to do it. look at him crowing how he was "beating all the other evos at the OTC" oh he forgot to say he was using R compounds and we(all the other evos) were all on street tires. He then went on to post that r compounds didn't matter! Any wonder why I there's no love lost? BTW I have a whole bunch of people with me on this...Is there safety in numbers...
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Better get back OT
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

damn, all this for an omori gauge?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Chronohunter says he trail brakes in under 70 mph corners I think somewhere in one of the 170 posts. My boy John Mueller when I axed him says he does it in corners under ~50 mph. Whos even looking at the speedo really? Robi prolly trail brakes some and he dont even know it. I can drive a race car but I'm not a race car driver. The winner of the mental masturbation contest here may or may not be the fastest guy around the race track, the competition here in Message Board Land needs a different kind of dedication and skill set. Y'all probably drive with in 99% of each other technique wise or you wouldnt be fast. I'm just saying that articulation on the internet and lap times dont necessarily go hand in hand.

Mike W
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
When you assume...

Several magazine editors are currently, or have previously, raced professionally.

For example Dave Coleman from Sport Compact Car runs and has won in SCCA Pro Rally and last I checked that was a professional series. He was the overall class champion last year in the California Rally Series and he is typically out testing on a weekly basis.

Their are many more out their like him, I just figured I'd use a name you are probably already familiar with.
I know Dave and he is a very good rally racer, I should have been more specific: Road Racer. I have worked with all those guys doing press launces at race tracks so I have ridden with almost all of them. Many of them are good road racers but none are at the level I was refering to.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mike W
Chronohunter says he trail brakes in under 70 mph corners I think somewhere in one of the 170 posts. My boy John Mueller when I axed him says he does it in corners under ~50 mph. Whos even looking at the speedo really? Robi prolly trail brakes some and he dont even know it. I can drive a race car but I'm not a race car driver. The winner of the mental masturbation contest here may or may not be the fastest guy around the race track, the competition here in Message Board Land needs a different kind of dedication and skill set. Y'all probably drive with in 99% of each other technique wise or you wouldnt be fast. I'm just saying that articulation on the internet and lap times dont necessarily go hand in hand.

Mike W
I love it Mike! You found me out, I am a fraud, the shame, the shame (sob,sob)

I feel better now that I've been "outed"

Remeber Robi said he NEVER does it and ITS A CRUTCH. That's what started all this fun. Can you please tell him two things: 1. If you never trail brake you will be slow in slow corners. 2. If your car is set-up to NEVER need trail braking it is too loose. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

No I say "Don't do it" and the newer you are to performance driving do it even less, IMHO if you set the car up to NEED it you can and will overheat the front tire then you will need a crutch your now going so slow ;-). (also it's VERY rare to find a suspension tuner that can get the car as BALANCED as John and the boys at RRE). Paul you think you need it to go fast, me and my car are fast and we usually win by Seconds not tenths so I guess I've just gotten lazy in exploring options to give me those hundreths of a second/slow corner... Do I trailbrake? yes if I've completely misjudged and overcooked a corner you will catch me braking all the way to the apex ;-) and have then killed the time for that lap...
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
I know Dave and he is a very good rally racer, I should have been more specific: Road Racer. I have worked with all those guys doing press launces at race tracks so I have ridden with almost all of them. Many of them are good road racers but none are at the level I was refering to.
Your level??
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Your level??
Both Paul and Dave Coleman are good friends of mine. Dave is a good solid driver and an awesome writer (too bad he no longer full time at SCC ). But Paul is at a world class level. Those in the industry should already know that.

shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 21, 2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Shiv:

Dave is a good solid driver and an awesome writer (too bad he no longer full time at SCC ). But Paul is at a world class. Those in the industry should already know that.
???

http://www.world-challenge.com/bios/pgerrard.html

I am sure Paul can drive but seriously a little stretch to say "world class" It takes a major effort to find anything of note on any of the search engines to even read about the guy- I can read more about some amateur soccer player in England with the same name in the 10 minutes it took just to find a bio...

originally posted by chronohunter:
Why undermine other folks all the time when you should just build a record and let it speak for itself. If you look at the other folks who compete, there are no shortage of drivers with a lot of experience and opinions... That bio doesn't give him a monopoly on racing theory or a career winning record.

Here are some bios for you: http://www.world-challenge.com/bios/

This is just one level of racing...

Last edited by gt40; Aug 21, 2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt40
???

http://www.world-challenge.com/bios/pgerrard.html

I am sure Paul can drive but seriously a little stretch to say "world class" It takes a major effort to find anything of note on any of the search engines to even read about the guy- I can read more about some amateur soccer player in England with the same name in the 10 minutes it took just to find a bio...

Why undermine other folks all the time when you should just build a record and let it speak for itself. If you look at the other folks who compete, there are no shortage of drivers with a lot of experience and opinions... That bio doesn't give him a monopoly on racing theory or a career winning record.

Here are some bios for you: http://www.world-challenge.com/bios/

This is just one level of racing...
Uh.. okay?

Quick Reply: trail braking