Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deeman101
I can't really theorize a good reason for why a testpipe/HFC leans out the tune but I know it does from my own experience. When I swap between a HFC (a friggin' high flow 100cel 3.5inch catco at that) to my test pipe my tune goes a little leaner. Measured with my AEM wideband on the downpipe for both.

Regardless of the cause your knock seems to need a rework of the tune. So might as well just do it. Or wait to put on your wideband and do it.
Its the flow. The HFC will flow more than the stock cat, and a test pipe will flow more than a HFC. More flow= higher load.

Originally Posted by akeric
In regards to the low octane maps I can agree with killerpenguin that its a nice safety feature but only against bad gas. As for when your tuning I set them to the same as my high octane maps to keep it consistent. When the tune is finished I adjust the low octane maps to add back in the safety feature. I only run a few degrees of timing difference.
No matter what you set the low octane timing map to, the ECU will always pull timing on the event of knock. Even if you put the low octane map higher than the high octane, it will still pull timing. But changing the difference between the maps will affect whether the ECU pulls too much timing or not.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chetrickerman
Its the flow. The HFC will flow more than the stock cat, and a test pipe will flow more than a HFC. More flow= higher load.

No matter what you set the low octane timing map to, the ECU will always pull timing on the event of knock. Even if you put the low octane map higher than the high octane, it will still pull timing. But changing the difference between the maps will affect whether the ECU pulls too much timing or not.
true but the ecu is slower to add back in octane rating and transition from one map to the other than it is to forgive the knock count. I suppose its pointless on my car because I run the alternate maps anyway and there is no low octane version of those.

Now that the snow is mostly gone from the roads I started working on my tune again. I still seem to get some tip in knock at around 60-80 load but other than that only a couple random counts over a series of pulls.

What do you think of my afr's and timing during spool, should I be doing something different to try and get the turbo to spool quicker? I running about as much as I can at max power. Boost is 26psi peak and tapering to about 23, the afrs listed below are the actual wideband readings I use meth/water injection so they can be a little leaner. Although my base fuel is only 90oct so needless to say it sucks ***.

Name:  404wb.png
Views: 0
Size:  235.5 KB
Name:  404timing.png
Size:  234.6 KB
Name:  404power.png
Size:  352.8 KB
Name:  404graph.png
Size:  174.1 KB

Mods are
MAPerformance o2 housing, RRE 3" exhaust, Test Pipe, BR Downpipe, Grimspeed EBCS
ETS Intake w/ Amsoil Dry Filter, Crushed Stock BPV, HFS6 Aquamist Meth/Water Injection at 80/20 mixture.

Last edited by akeric; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

true but the ecu is slower to add back in octane rating and transition from one map to the other than it is to forgive the knock count. I suppose its pointless on my car because I run the alternate maps anyway and there is no low octane version of those.

Now that the snow is mostly gone from the roads I started working on my tune again. I still seem to get some tip in knock at around 60-80 load but other than that only a couple random counts over a series of pulls.

What do you think of my afr's and timing during spool, should I be doing something different to try and get the turbo to spool quicker? I running about as much as I can at max power. Boost is 26psi peak and tapering to about 23, the afrs listed below are the actual wideband readings I use meth/water injection so they can be a little leaner. Although my base fuel is only 90oct so needless to say it sucks ***.

Mods are
MAPerformance o2 housing, RRE 3" exhaust, Test Pipe, BR Downpipe, Grimspeed EBCS
ETS Intake w/ Amsoil Dry Filter, Crushed Stock BPV, HFS6 Aquamist Meth/Water Injection at 80/20 mixture.
your AFR and timing look great.

I honestly wouldnt worry about that knock at 60-80 load unless its like 16 counts or something crazy

That tip in knock can also be from the MIVEC solenoid

Last edited by chetrickerman; Apr 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chetrickerman
your AFR and timing look great.

I honestly wouldnt worry about that knock at 60-80 load unless its like 16 counts or something crazy

That tip in knock can also be from the MIVEC solenoid
thanks for the reply, the most knock I recall seeing for tip in was 4 counts. I was starting to think it was false knock because I had taken a few * out and it was still showing up.

Should I be using less fuel and more timing up to 220 load, my actual fuel target map is all over the place from tuning with the methanol and 12-12.2 (actual afr) was just kind of where it ended up since I had to initially guess how much more fuel the methanol would change it. But the car feels like it runs very strong as is.

Is it better to stay leaner during spool and if so how much for how long?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the reply, the most knock I recall seeing for tip in was 4 counts. I was starting to think it was false knock because I had taken a few * out and it was still showing up.

Should I be using less fuel and more timing up to 220 load, my actual fuel target map is all over the place from tuning with the methanol and 12-12.2 (actual afr) was just kind of where it ended up since I had to initially guess how much more fuel the methanol would change it. But the car feels like it runs very strong as is.

Is it better to stay leaner during spool and if so how much for how long?
Your fuel is good. I would actually drop the AFR to the 11 range once you get past 200 load, just for safetys sake.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Evo IX 93 Octane, 26 psi, tapers to 22psi.
Zero counts of knock, Virtual dyno reads 352-392 HP with an average of 377 HP

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blowngasket
Evo IX 93 Octane, 26 psi, tapers to 22psi.
Zero counts of knock, Virtual dyno reads 352-392 HP with an average of 377 HP

blah...more evidence i have something going on...thats almost identical to what im running on less boost and knocking.

update - i created new low octane maps, copied over the high octane and dropped 3 degrees out from 140 load up from 1500rpm up.

one other thing i want to investigate is the air temp timing trim. wont have time to do more runs until the end of the week.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
blah...more evidence i have something going on...thats almost identical to what im running on less boost and knocking.

update - i created new low octane maps, copied over the high octane and dropped 3 degrees out from 140 load up from 1500rpm up.

one other thing i want to investigate is the air temp timing trim. wont have time to do more runs until the end of the week.
Thats what im saying. You should be able to run at least 12* at 7k
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

when are you getting the knock counts? load/rpm? how bad are the counts?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

when are you getting the knock counts? load/rpm? how bad are the counts?
see here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10...-post1513.html
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

yikes, idk what ur other tables look like here are some from my personal tune to compare

Last edited by blowngasket; Apr 17, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

yikes, idk what ur other tables look like here are some from my personal tune to compare
lol its not yikes bad, i dont think. a random count like that is just a pain to try and get rid of it seems. its not tapering in...so i have no hint of which direction to take things, and i certainly dont want to make it higher.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
timing map, which tells one very little
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-iggny.png  
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
timing map, which tells one very little
Not too catastrophic; the timing numbers are reasonable, but it could definitely stand to be smoother.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

lol its not yikes bad, i dont think. a random count like that is just a pain to try and get rid of it seems. its not tapering in...so i have no hint of which direction to take things, and i certainly dont want to make it higher.
Honestly, if you are getting some knock that is inconsistent (never occurs ar the same rpm/load) or phantom knock you should try raising the knock filter. Even though your engine isn't built, it will help to keep your timing where you want it.

That's what I would do. Some people say not to raise the knock filter on a stock engine, but I have had great results with it.

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps