Notices
ECU Flash

General non-information about factory ALS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I dont see need for kicker with sas. Second video alludes to dbw being able to control throttle plate angle by ecu precisely. Cyclic cut can not be accomplished by the stock ecu. Which would be beneficial with a jacked throttle/ kicker
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I dont see need for kicker with sas. Second video alludes to dbw being able to control throttle plate angle by ecu precisely. Cyclic cut can not be accomplished by the stock ecu. Which would be beneficial with a jacked throttle/ kicker
How was dbw controlled? was it through als tables in the rom?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Motec or autronic
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Il post pics of my progress shortly
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
even with sas you need a bit of throttle opening, wrc cars run at least 15%, up to 20% depending on set up(throotle opening because of dbw is not fixed-will wary dependyng on load, boost, and othe factors-only ecu that will controll stategy correct!! and still be available to public is pectel/syvecs /liferacing, syvecs is also used by extreme tuners.., rest of ecus motec, link... will do only half of job/very crude -fixed dbw...). you need to remove vacum line from diverter valve (if you want to keep some boost limit /limited by the sprin in the valve), or remove or install it bakwards, as you don't want it to open on overrun or effect will be very small on sas(all air produced should be redirected to turbo,and engine not recirculated). on oem set up, maxed out and no openning to throttle, boost was 0 bar relative(gauge), meaning you dont get positive boost, but still better than -0.6-.5you get without. dbw set up is easyer as when of you dont need cut, cyclyc..., still need cooldown.
with proper motorsport ecu(bot throttle and sas ) you can get asmuch as 1.3bar relative(gauge), on stock turbo, althrough it wont live too much because of temeperatures and wave shock(egt limt around 950c for max 10 sec), more comomn boost on overrun is betwen 0.2-0.5bar gauge, still a lot, as car will push without proper cut strategy(this is where sas is beneficial-you still get some engine braking and less push on overrun)-brakes will suffer(that is why on gr.n cars you get 355mmm*32mm brakes and still run out of them. think of push as you both press brake and gas pedal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPb1a...dsejOP0u2lOlAN_
throttle 12%+ sas-oem hardware and standard banjo holes , mild setup, 0.3 bar gauge, this it how it idles on als... not overun... but it has timers, at end is cyclyc cooldown...

Last edited by claudiumxg; Jan 15, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok, claudium have you seen a factory ecu achieve the 0 psi relative boost with factory sas and ecu? I want to keep the stock ecu and achieve even .2 bar if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Ps i have 3/4" tubes feeding each runner
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

I have decided that i will try use the booster line to suppliment als that i will try to impliment. I feel that a vacuum pump may become semi necessary. Otherwise where will the vacuum to open sas happen? I want this car to put fear of god in competition .. haha

Got my new helmet from Simpson .. stoked.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
EvoM Guru

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/v...6-44_906-1.jpg

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=332226&page=2

Probably a good thread to note

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jan 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Motec or autronic
Oh, I thought that was an oem, I have programmed MoTecs before with a solenoid type kick, als typically reached 7-8psi.

Ok, claudium have you seen a factory ecu achieve the 0 psi relative boost with factory sas and ecu? I want to keep the stock ecu and achieve even .2 bar if possible.
Me too
A proper ALS capable OEM would be quite an achievement & would eliminate the need for stand alones. I've always wondered about the kind of the anti lag on WRC & group_a Evos with stock ECUs & SAS, was it aggressive enough to produce any PSIs on overrun?? If so, then why not mimic the same setup in both hardware & software?
A throttle kick doesn't have to be controlled by the ecu, it could be either a fixed, screw type kick or a solenoid kick with an external switch.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

I honestly think the brake booster line with a simple ball valve to flip would be the perfect testing method. You could moderate flow and shut the bypass off when DD and for autocross/rallycross open her up.

NASIOC has a thread "carberry 3.0" in the ecu flash section. They have adapted a group n rom for 16 bit ecu's(02-03) and with a simple set screw to jack throttle they have all the rom to function all the ALS stuff. One thing subies have is a true coil on plug setup. I would be worried about spitting a shim on the subaru .. not on the evo!

On game day, a raised idle would be ok. ~3000 + etc.. having 7 psi in the IC pipes at the flooring of the pedal, would be enough to break traction in lower gears a with less effort... If what JB says can be done with USDM rom, then I would die to implement this on SD. But I will wait to see the effects of this on MAF.

Questions for guru: If TPS/throttle is jacked 10-15% does the fuel cut still exist?

foxbat, the DBW conversion is not oem. The video above it is labled oem etc.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by foxbat
Oh, I thought that was an oem, I have programmed MoTecs before with a solenoid type kick, als typically reached 7-8psi.

Me too
A proper ALS capable OEM would be quite an achievement & would eliminate the need for stand alones. I've always wondered about the kind of the anti lag on WRC & group_a Evos with stock ECUs & SAS, was it aggressive enough to produce any PSIs on overrun?? If so, then why not mimic the same setup in both hardware & software?
A throttle kick doesn't have to be controlled by the ecu, it could be either a fixed, screw type kick or a solenoid kick with an external switch.

It was kind of mentioned indirectly that the stock sas with no throttle jack/bypass generated enough to keep the car at zero psi relative.

I have to wonder the benefits of using brake booster line bypass vs jacked thrrottle. on an ALS type rom, fuel would be delivered regardless. On a non ALS rom fuel may not be delivered with the booster line as a bypass, therefore leaving the jacked throttle and its relation to TPS in the ECU to deliver fuel. A lot of variations in methods, which one(s) to be effective for us?

No one says anything about this being proper! lol
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-ix-rs.html

I wish I knew how they physically opened the sas valve. IE what vac source? I know they were using the BCS map to help.. and will it keep functioning as long as it is in overrun?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

How does the factory hardware close the sas valve .. my rig keeps the valve open with no way to shut it/ bleed vac from the valve.... what does a stock ecu timing map with sas look like?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have sas tables defined in your rom?
I think the tables control the opening/closing of sas relative to several factors such as speed, rpm, load... plus a timer.

Quick Reply: General non-information about factory ALS