Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any progress fred?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
mileage seems to be the same or a tiny bit less with mivec zeroed out in the cruise cells. i'll try going the other way soon.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately I have some data on the MIVEC, but because mine is busted in some illogical driving me nuts kind of way. I have either had the MIVEC map entirely zero'd out or the solenoid unplugged for over 3 weeks, and I track my MPGs all the time as my regular routine. I am about 1 almost 2 MPG less, however the real kicker is that I suspect my driving is much more mellow now since I know there is 'something' wrong with the car. Theoretically with this kind of driving I would see a mild gain in MPG. I average 23-24 and I am seeing 21-23.

shameful plugs:

In case anyone wants to see if they can help me solve this nightmare....

Here is one of my threads troubleshooting and replacing the whole system.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ere-start.html

Here is a vid of the noise...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ning-load.html

What voltage at the OCS
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-harness.html
Old May 15, 2013, 10:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Evaluation has been slow going because I haven't been driving it too much. Early indications are that a MIVEC map with a lot of advance in the cruise cells is giving better mileage than zero advance. I put in more advance than I had been running in quite a while, and my gas mileage this last tank was the best its been in a long time, but not by much, maybe 5 miles (not mpg) more. However, its about 20 miles better than what I got with MIVEC zeroed out in the cruise cells. I haven't gone full advance yet, but I'll try that after I get through the current tank of fuel.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
We did some EGR testing in an already fuel efficient motor and saw zero gains. The best results for the Evo were to run on the lean side (15.5-16.0, no leaner), run 44-46* of timing, and I ran the MIVEC full advance in cruise to mimic the K series. I was getting 24mpg on gasoline driving on I5 north for 152 miles (hilly terrain) at 75mph with the IX 5 speed. That was my 2.4 and R2 with Magnus for reference.
Interesting you bring up the kseries. Just some background. I come from the honda community. Owned both a type s and new si both tuned by me using kpro and flashpro. My type s was turbocharged at the stock compression of 11:1. I increased ignition timing in the cruise range just like you mentioned and notice increased driveability and gas mileage. I didn't run a leaner a/f ratio because of the high compression of the motor a draw back you guys dont have. Now as far as cam tuning I'm not sure if the same tuning methods can be used. In my case I would set the cam agle at a fix position. For example..... Set at 10º across every load cell. Do a third gear pull from 2500 rpm to 6000 rpm tune a/f ratio to desired range and then adjust ignition accordiingly. Once set, datalog 3 runs. Repeat all the way up to 50º both on the low and high cam tables. I would then use a virtual dyno similar to what you guys use and build my cam agle table based on the cam agles that made the most power @ a given load (rpm). I know mivec works completly different and there is no "high", "low" cam profile but couldn't the same tuning method be used with similar results? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly. I have yet to purchase an Evo but for now I'm trying to familiarise myself with the tuning side of it since I also plan to do my own tuning on this vehicle. Alright done rambling lol.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

I've gotten through a few tanks of fuel running full advance in the cruise cells, and I feel very comfortable saying that full advance is better for mileage than no advance. However, I'm not sure I can see any more than a 2% increase in mileage when going from moderate advance to full advance. Its definitely not the hidden secret for awesome gas mileage.