Notices
ECU Flash

Necessary to log EGTs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Necessary to log EGTs?

Just getting together all the tools I need to start tuning myself.
EGTs are something I'm still not entirely sure on. I've been doing a ton of reading and I come across posts where people say its an important safety measure and to not exceed 800-900C, then there's people that say they've been running 900C+ for years and haven't had any issues, others say EGTs are useless and if there's no knock and sensible AFR you're fine.
I also haven't seen any mention of EGTs in any tuning guides.

So I'm wondering is it okay to tune without monitoring EGTs? How many of you actually monitor EGTs?

Note: I'm running 25psi flat on 98 octane (cause my tuner installed a 1.7 bar actuator for some reason). But its a DD so it doesn't see WOT consistently.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

EGT's only tell you part of the picture. You can manipulate what an EGT gauge reads by how your timing is set for example.

Sure it's a nice tool to have, I have used them many times... but a Wideband is 10x more useful on a gas motor.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have EGT but I don't actively use it for tuning. Not required when you have a wideband and knock sensor IMO.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:12 PM

awesome, means I'm good to go.
I have wideband, openport, Evoscan and Ecuflash and the only that was holding me up was maybe EGT gauge.
I thought since I was running 25psi it might be an issue but it seems it will be ok.
Thanks guys
Old Oct 2, 2014, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I have both. Wideband being most important, but EGT is nice to have because it quickly shows you what your "dyno queen" tune can do to EGT when you go out on a propper racetrack and hold full throttle for 15+ sec...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Only if you know how to interpret them and generally they are only helpful if you run individual EGT probes per cylinder.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I have both. Wideband being most important, but EGT is nice to have because it quickly shows you what your "dyno queen" tune can do to EGT when you go out on a propper racetrack and hold full throttle for 15+ sec...
You have a point. An EGT gauge doesn't really do that much for tuning(compared to a wideband)... but it does tell you when it might be time to let off. 1/4 mile stuff is one thing.. but standing on it for long periods of time is a whole different situation. Heat kills things and an EGT can warn you....
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I recommend monitoring EGT if you do track days. 20 min sessions sometimes give pretty high EGTs even with conservative AFR tuning (depends on hardware setup - especially post turbo back pressure / boost / fuel)

But most cases, safe AFR shouldn't give dangerous EGTs on public roads, unless prolonged full boost conditions like top speed testing. (which shouldn't be allowed in most countries)

I strongly believe high EGTs will compromise the lifetime of exhaust parts although you may not see a failure in short term. One of local EVO X guy said he hasn't had a single problem with high EGT after two years of abuse, but he found out cracks inside his GT35 turbine housing, and now he believes me.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaveeth
Note: I'm running 25psi flat on 98 octane (cause my tuner installed a 1.7 bar actuator for some reason). But its a DD so it doesn't see WOT consistently.
You should be OK on 25psi, depends on the turbo though as my VII stock turbo ran out of puff and started to knock at peak RPM and I had to tail it off to 23psi There are some ROMs around with an EGT logging patch, look at the 90550701 tephra ROMs - I know the live tune 90550701 has it and I'm sure the vanilla 90550701 has it as well.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 06:22 PM

I have an 8MR turbo and it tails off a bit by redline. Haven't seen any knock yet but it's still on a conservative tune. If I ever track the car I'll probably install an EGT gauge.