Notices
ECU Flash

What is the best program for data logging?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best program for data logging?

I have an 06 IX & I would like to do some data logging & possibly some tuning later on down the road. I am running AEM UEGO wideband & AEM tru-boost on the stock ECU. I've looked arround & come across a few options. Mitsulogger & Evoscan seem to be the most common I've found. My question is what are the pros & cons of the diffrent loggers? Which program or programs should I use? Should I get a Tactrix cable or is there something better? Any other sensors I need to get? I know this has probrobly been discussed before, but I was unable to find the info I was looking for when searching. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got or had mitsulogger, evoscan, ecuedit, logworks.

In no particular order, Mitsulogger (Jack has found other hobbies lately)(so up dates are iffy), Logworks, Evoscan are free or nearly so. All work very well, and can all be used on the same laptop. I switch between them depending on what I think I want to see. In your case, not having innovate, you would use one of the other two or both.
The cable is relatively cheap and helps support the hobby .

So, $80 for the cable and 25 or 35 for evoscan, because he does make improvements to his software, you can tune as well as you wish.
welcome to the tuning club, there is an amazing amount of corrections you can make to your ecu.
As you read through the forum you will be impressed at the great steps that are being made in manipulating the ecu.

Last edited by nothere; Mar 29, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mitsulogger is going through a complete rewrite... I have recently moved from Long Island, NY to Royse City, TX... had my job fall through and had to find another so my time and patience has been scarce.

I do have a working plugin framework which has no FTDI Driver dependencies, so it can work with any USB-Serial adapter and a serial or USB logging cable, and universal plugins that can be programmed to read any serial input (any wideband or serial device that streams data) but I'm nowhere near ready to release this software.

I do have a v1.6b6 which has a few bugfixes that I have been sitting on, that I wasn't planning to release at the time, but I have to dig up my notebook to make sure all of the bugfixes are in there and tested. And has an installer that works with Vista (properly registers the innovate MTS stuff, and has proper credentials to launch properly without manually configuring it)

Mitsulogger is free, and will always be free.

The reason you don't hear of other options is there really aren't any. I think enginuity has some logging, but it never appears to have caught on in the evo community. There's Donour's MacLogger for OSX, I do know he has some issues with drivers that work with both ECUFlash and the serial logger, however I have resolved my serial performance issues that might be of value to him and can share with him what I have found.

There was a windows mobile logger that someone was working on, and I had a working mobile logger too, in fact the code was shared with the current framework as it shared the same serial communications routines, only USB Host support in most mobile devices is almost nonexistent at the moment.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I use eduedit. I like the way it allows you to look at a datalog. It gives you a bunch of different ways to view the data. Tables, 2D graphs, 3D graphs, plots, etc. It does log from the Innovate O2 sensor as well.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EvoScan or Mitsulogger both support your wideband. I use EvoScan, because I bought it when it first came out and it is getting better. It works fine with the AEM Uego. I've never cared for EvoScan's software dyno as I find it difficult to get repeatable results. I purchased data log lab for graphical analysis and software dyno feature. The new map tracer function within EvoScan works very well. You'll need to solder 2 wires to a dsub connector to get a serial port and then use a USB / serial converter if you have a modern laptop without a serial port.

I also use the AEM boost solenoid connected to the ECU with a resistor and tuned it with direct boost control (corrective based on JDM map sensor). I use the remainder of the truboost as a map sensor based boost gauge with peak hold which is handy.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Mar 28, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
EvoScan or Mitsulogger both support your wideband. I use EvoScan, because I bought it when it first came out and it is getting better. It works fine with the AEM Uego. I've never cared for EvoScan's software dyno as I find it difficult to get repeatable results. I purchased data log lab for graphical analysis and software dyno feature. The new map tracer function within EvoScan works very well. You'll need to solder 2 wires to a dsub connector to get a serial port and then use a USB / serial converter if you have a modern laptop without a serial port.

I also use the AEM boost solenoid connected to the ECU with a resistor and tuned it with direct boost control (corrective based on JDM map sensor). I use the remainder of the truboost as a map sensor based boost gauge with peak hold which is handy.
I didn't even think about the cable not working with the computer. I don't have serial port & will need USB support. Does anyone make a USB data cable? I hope the computer will be fast enough to run these programs. It is only 800mhz with 1 gig RAM running on XP. Anybody know the requirements of these types of programs by chance? I guess I'll try Mitsulogger first since it's free & pay for something else later if I feel the need. First priority is to get the car back on the road.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Mitsulogger is going through a complete rewrite... I have recently moved from Long Island, NY to Royse City, TX... had my job fall through and had to find another so my time and patience has been scarce.

I do have a working plugin framework which has no FTDI Driver dependencies, so it can work with any USB-Serial adapter and a serial or USB logging cable, and universal plugins that can be programmed to read any serial input (any wideband or serial device that streams data) but I'm nowhere near ready to release this software.

I do have a v1.6b6 which has a few bugfixes that I have been sitting on, that I wasn't planning to release at the time, but I have to dig up my notebook to make sure all of the bugfixes are in there and tested. And has an installer that works with Vista (properly registers the innovate MTS stuff, and has proper credentials to launch properly without manually configuring it)

Mitsulogger is free, and will always be free.

The reason you don't hear of other options is there really aren't any. I think enginuity has some logging, but it never appears to have caught on in the evo community. There's Donour's MacLogger for OSX, I do know he has some issues with drivers that work with both ECUFlash and the serial logger, however I have resolved my serial performance issues that might be of value to him and can share with him what I have found.

There was a windows mobile logger that someone was working on, and I had a working mobile logger too, in fact the code was shared with the current framework as it shared the same serial communications routines, only USB Host support in most mobile devices is almost nonexistent at the moment.
It's great to know you have not completly abandonned us, although there is nobody left in NY to competently tune to the level that you did. Mitsulogger is great and free and can only get better, thanks Jack.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Just want to mention that Logworks either is very slow at logging data, or it averages over a large time interval. The result is that the data lacks the kind of detail that I think is necessary for accurate tuning. And the last version of Logworks that I used only allowed logging ten items at any one time.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They're all best