Notices
ECU Flash

Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
**UPDATE** I passed emissions and can confirm the settings shown below will work for Tephra ROM ID 88591715.

Originally Posted by randallsrt
I fail emissions today with an EVO9 on Speed Density 2.0 3D tune (88592715). I only had 3 monitors that were ready and all other came back as "unsupported"

I even plugged my scan tool into that evo9 that failed and also my personal evo 9 that is also on the 2.0 SD which verified that only 3 monitors were even available and set to pass.

Although the obd Force Passed tables are already implemented into that ROM/XML, no matter what options I choose, nothing changes on my Scan Tool.

I did experiment with another buddies NON 3D speed density patched rom (88590015) and that seems to be working perfectly fine after I patched the XML to display those tables. At this point I'm tempted to just make an emission only tune in order to pass, then switch back to the 3D Speed Density. Unless of course someone has any ideas...
Ok I think I found a solution to this. I can only be certain this works once I pass my emissions test which I plan on doing within the next few days.

So the problem is when I follow the instructions given in this thread, all monitors except misfire, fuel system, and components read not available. Everything I tried could not turn on the other monitors. I'm currently on Speed Density using Tephra ROM 88591715.

After further research, I stumbled upon this thread (MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC) and decided to give Dynotech Tuning's suggestion a try (see post #11). The settings provided in his post are what a stock Evo ECU shows. I plugged in my scanner and it was able to pick up everything sans heated catalyst, secondary air system, and A/C refrigerant. However this time, catalyst, evaporative system, O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, and EGR system came up as incomplete. I knew I was close.

So after a couple more tries, my screenshot below shows my final configuration which enabled all the pertinent monitors to read available. Even though the monitors tables in ECUflash all show 1s, everything except heated catalyst, secondary air system, and A/C refrigerant all show up as available.
Attached Thumbnails Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)-obd-force-inspection.jpg   Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)-screenshot_2015-04-27-18-55-13-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Klaiceps; Apr 28, 2015 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
patkelley (Sep 11, 2016)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
i'll have to check my setup.. but everything on mine was perfect, except i could not get the rear O2 to show a readiness code, so it wouldn't pass.

as of now, i'm still putting everything back to stock to smog
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i'll have to check my setup.. but everything on mine was perfect, except i could not get the rear O2 to show a readiness code, so it wouldn't pass.

as of now, i'm still putting everything back to stock to smog
From what I'm seeing turning off certain tests from the periphery table actually turns off some of the obd readiness tests also.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obd

Interesting, thanks for posting. Subscribed for your results.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Just came back from emissions testing and I can confirm the settings above will work.
Attached Thumbnails Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)-20150428_173624.jpg  

Last edited by Klaiceps; Apr 28, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Just came back from emissions testing and I can confirm the settings above will work.
Sweet. Ill try it out asap
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

obd

Awesome, what mods did you have on your car at the time of inspection?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
Awesome, what mods did you have on your car at the time of inspection?
FP Green Turbo
Cosworth 272 Cams
External dump downpipe
Catalytic converter
No rear O2 sensor. There's a wideband in place of it.

From what I saw, the inspectors didn't even look under the hood or under the car. All they did was plug in their scanner to check for codes and readiness monitors.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:28 PM
kaj

FP Green Turbo
Cosworth 272 Cams
External dump downpipe
Catalytic converter
No rear O2 sensor. There's a wideband in place of it.

From what I saw, the inspectors didn't even look under the hood or under the car. All they did was plug in their scanner to check for codes and readiness monitors.
Lucky. BAR has our smog shops so scared out of their wits, they are failing people for legal mods, just in case. They are coming down haaaard on our guys. Makes me want to open up a smog shop.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah you guys in California have it really rough. I don't know how guys who have modded Evos (or any modded car for that matter) as daily drivers do it. Here in Colorado, if your car is 7 years old or newer you don't need to do a sniff test. They'll only check for codes and OBD readiness. If older than 7, then a sniff test is needed. I also have a K20 Civic that passed emissions last year with only a high flow cat for emissions purposes. Everything else needed for emissions has been removed.

Last edited by Klaiceps; Apr 28, 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:20 AM
kaj

Yeah you guys in California have it really rough. I don't know how guys who have modded Evos (or any modded car for that matter) as daily drivers do it. Here in Colorado, if your car is 7 years old or newer you don't need to do a sniff test. They'll only check for codes and OBD readiness. If older than 7, then a sniff test is needed. I also have a K20 Civic that passed emissions last year with only a high flow cat for emissions purposes. Everything else needed for emissions has been removed.
It sucks. We now have no sniffer on newer cars- just the OBD check, but it's the visual that gets everyone. If you repaired a vacuum line with colored silicone? Fail. Had to run a new wire to your fuel pump? Fail. I saw both of those happen in the past 60 days. No exaggeration.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:08 AM

Hey the link to the video isn't working. Does anyone have that video?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:55 AM

Also can this be done with AccessTuner Race and an AP?
Old May 17, 2015, 04:22 PM

Bump:

Anyone?
Old May 17, 2015, 05:02 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by fletchmasta
Bump:

Anyone?
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think not. from what i've seen with AP, it's pretty limited compared to ECUFlash.

the methods in this thread are only avail because people have picked apart the ECU to find these options. since ECUFlash is open to all, it's shared as such.

AP is completely separate.

Quick Reply: Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)