Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 9 with BBK Full @ 30psi on 93oct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Very impressive numbers. While I think virtual dyno numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, the numbers are definitely in the neighborhood of what I'd expect out of this combo on a real dynojet. My evo BBK Full car made ~430whp dynojet on pump gas and a better IM and EM setup would certainly have gotten it closer to 450, but I never spent much time on the pump gas tune since I ran alky injection.

Badass combo, enjoy it!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to get started on my tune. Once the S2s and Aquamist arrive it is game on.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
looks good!

there is no way you should see improvements with an MBC over a 3 port-

unless you arent running it in 3 port interrupt configuration!

I run alot of cars at 30psi (ive even run 40 on a 35R LOL) on pump gas... and we've never had an engine related failure to date

It all comes down to the tune and supporting mods-

people underestimate what a good FMIC does to help with this-

also-

Tcomp- what is your WGDC to reach 30psi peak? if there are no boost leaks- with the grimmspeed you should be around 72-75% on most cars-

cb
Hey Chad. Ya his part combo is definitely key.. FMIC is top notch, exhaust manifold helps a lot, intake manifold, cams etc. the WGDC is mid to low 50%'s. remember he is using a 25psi wga, which changed it quite a bit.. i think it was 70's with the regular wga as you said though, but i dont have the rom anymore to check. i know he keeps all roms though.

Honestly with the 3 port vs ecu boost deal.. i tested it on my car and i lost a lot of low end response and power to the point i had my friend who does ecu code disassembly look at the code in the v7 roms where it holds the wgdc to 100% at spool and there is a code in there that constantly cycles the wgdc from 100 to 0 so the signal is constantly cracking open the flapper during spoolup.. thats why i want to test other methods first to see if the problem exists on all turbos.

I do know that it will sacrifice around 10-15whp at redline though (maybe, but maybe not since now it has a bigger wga closer to our boost target now), but personally id want to sacrifice uptop then downlow.. i am all about response like you are.

ill post results of the mbc and whatever else he tests on the car. but ya the turbo surprised me, it definitely does work well with the right part combination on pump gas.

Maybe i found a bug in the 3 port? who knows.. supposedly this 3 port can only be ran in interrupt mode even if you use 2 ports on it.. i have never tested any other 3 ports other then the gm so i have nothing to go by.. but on my personal car the 3 port delayed pk tq a good 500rpm almost.. shocking to say the least. with the same afr!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scheides
Very impressive numbers. While I think virtual dyno numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, the numbers are definitely in the neighborhood of what I'd expect out of this combo on a real dynojet. My evo BBK Full car made ~430whp dynojet on pump gas and a better IM and EM setup would certainly have gotten it closer to 450, but I never spent much time on the pump gas tune since I ran alky injection.

Badass combo, enjoy it!
i wouldnt underestimate these numbers.. this programs the real deal.. i just recently redid beissens car and it made something around 430/405tq or something and he took it right to moores dynojet and it put down something like 425/410tq .. so its pretty damn close if you ask me. it actually reads lower tq now then what it does on a real dyno.

theres no more timing in this car, we tried to add more it knocks, same with boost.. the cars maxed out. im willing to bet the JM exhaust manifold alone is responsible for 20whp+ of the gains.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa

Honestly with the 3 port vs ecu boost deal.. i tested it on my car and i lost a lot of low end response and power to the point i had my friend who does ecu code disassembly look at the code in the v7 roms where it holds the wgdc to 100% at spool and there is a code in there that constantly cycles the wgdc from 100 to 0 so the signal is constant
Nice results! How's the idle with that full-blown throttle body since it has no BISS? Regarding the 3 port issue... did you consider posting this in the ecuflash section to see if it can be fixed/looked at? I think a proper test would be to put the 3 port on a oscilloscope and see what its doing. I can in the next week or two.

Last edited by Guerillah; Jun 6, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guerillah
Nice results! How's the idle with that full-blown throttle body since it has no BISS? Regarding the 3 port issue... did you consider posting this in the ecuflash section to see if it can be fixed/looked at? I think a proper test would be to put the 3 port on a oscilloscope and see what its doing. I can in the next week or two.
Roadspike is trying to get in contact with tephra to talk about it and show him what hes found in the code that is causing the issue.

I have no idea how it idles.. supposedly its fine.. ill have the owner come in here and give feedback.

we are gonna have some interesting data between the 3 port, aem tru-boost, and mbc soon if weather permits . The mbc test will be delayed a few days because we need to get the stiffer spring and ceramic ball.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the customer has both, have you guys thought of using a hybrid setup? MBC for spool up and the 3 port for holding boost.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn that car is a beast.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:04 PM
Former Sponsor

update.. and wow.. i cant believe this turbos spitting out these numbers on 93octane.

this is with the AEM truboost. temps were 75f

more testing to follow.. OP is getting scared of the torque now on the stock block lol.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the kind words. These kind words are the reflection of hard work put in by a team of many people that came together to help and direct me towards my power goals. Special thanks to Troy aka Noize, Chad and the CBRD team for being the mastermind behind the build and Tom for the will to never quit striving for the perfect tune and taking Chad's blueprint and make it come alive on 93. This car is a blast to drive.

Forgot to mention Tiago from VR-Speed that also puts up with my game of 50 questions and being available. Nate from MAP for being to available and processing orders efficiently and effectively. Last but not least Andrew from Dyno4mance.

Great team of folks!

Last edited by Debug; Jun 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
update.. and wow.. i cant believe this turbos spitting out these numbers on 93octane.

this is with the AEM truboost. temps were 75f

more testing to follow.. OP is getting scared of the torque now on the stock block lol.
Temps were 75 with 83% humidity. This car is a blast. Cannot wait till i get the shipping info for the s2's and springs.

Last edited by Debug; Jun 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by CBRD
also-

as for the comments on the proper bolt ons-

this client allowed us to pick his products for his build-

hence the fmic, manifold,perrin intake, cam choice- etc

cb
Don't forget that CBRD Radiator..
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I was thinking this also. Since he already has S1 cams, 500 would be a bit much of a jump in power. I would guess around 485whp though. But then he would need springs & retainers...

Nice part selection for the customer, Chad!

And nice job with the tune Tom! This car is a beast. So according to your graph the Full is seeing 30psi by about 4250 and it drops to 26psi by 7500, correct? I am interseted in seeing the results with a MBC on the car.
The s1's are the old version and I am in the same boat as everyone else waiting on s2's to ship along with the springs.

These guys get all the credit. I just did what they told me and asked a million and 1 questions.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Guerillah
To be honest, this is not my daily driver so I am not in it all the time. To answer your question, I just bolted it on with the Rev 3 and went. I haven't had any issues and the car has a constant idle and doesn't fluctuate. Hope this helps...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Very impressive! Almost 50wtq gain switching to a mbc with less than 15 whp loss at redline. My hallman will be in on wed. Cant wait to finish my tune Tom!

Quick Reply: evo 9 with BBK Full @ 30psi on 93oct