Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 9 with BBK Full @ 30psi on 93oct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
There is no ceiling
So if there is no ceiling you are hitting, then why can't you match the same peak boost as MBC? You keep on posting boost plot overlays with the MBC showing more peak boost and claiming the MBC creates more power.

Again, why can't you tune in the same boost curve and then do a proper overlay comparison? I'm confused.

I'd prefer to review and respond to actual data instead of butt dyno feedback (although that does have it's place, it just isn't what I am having a conversation about) so I'm not going to respond to the essay about your butt dyno feelings.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
see post #88.

I am a very genuine person and very honest when it comes to tuning and have absolutely nothing to gain and nothing to lose by providing information from my personal vehicle on this forum, so you should take what i said regarding the mbc vs 3 port on my personal car with a lot more then a grain of salt. you yourself know that when you can feel it substantially more in your butt that it is more then a few HP/TQ, especially when its back to back testing.

Heres something interesting I just dug up on my personal car. pulls were done may 20 and may 25. weather was 80f both days with approx same humidity according to weather.com history.

I dont know about you, but this looks dead wrong to me. 40psi making the same tq almost as 33psi? really? my car makes almost 580wtq at 40psi on a mbc with its current conservative timing at pk tq.. it just doesn't make sense. thats 80wtq sacrifice. that is beyond huge.

Blue line = ECU Boost
Red line = Hallman pro

(the log above even gives the ecu boost the benefit of the doubt since on average the mbc outspools it, but in this example the mbc is outspooled by the ecu boost).

.. now if you look at post #88 you see the opposite.. when more boost is created way more tq is produced. im telling you something funky is occurring but you dont want to believe me.

test it yourself.. i have 3 cars now i put the hallman back on that gained massive low end tq vs the 3 port.. not only on real dynojets but virtual dyno as well.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 14, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone with an actual dyno perform some objective a-b-a testing?

I would hate for anyone to get their butt dyno feelings hurt...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I dont know about you, but this looks dead wrong to me. 40psi making the same tq almost as 33psi? really? my car makes almost 580wtq at 40psi on a mbc with its current conservative timing at pk tq.. it just doesn't make sense. thats 80wtq sacrifice. that is beyond huge.
Ok so let me make sure I am understanding you since you keep shifting around and giving totally different data points at different boost levels and different turbos from different cars every reply.

Are you saying, that, at the same exact boost level and curve, that an MBC is creating more power then ECU-Boost? Is this what you are saying?

Just a simple yes or no would suffice. I just want to make sure we are having the same conversation here.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
Ok so let me make sure I am understanding you since you keep shifting around and giving totally different data points at different boost levels and different turbos from different cars every reply.

Are you saying, that, at the same exact boost level and curve, that an MBC is creating more power then ECU-Boost? Is this what you are saying?

Just a simple yes or no would suffice. I just want to make sure we are having the same conversation here.
I just posted data of the run uptop also.. notice the loads almost hitting 500 on the 39psi run on the ECU boost which shows the airflow is there but less tq? interesting.

Based on all the data i have provided here already I dont even have to answer that question.. clearly something screwy that cant be explained is going on between these two boost controlling devices.

IF they were both operating the same then yes it would be identical HP/TQ if you can make the same boost curves with both units.. but obviously something is happening where even more boost cant compete with other boost controllers downlow.. not just mbc, but others.. directly displayed in this thread (AEM TruBoost).

I can put this questioning to sleep real quick.. have the customer test the 3 port again and run the same boost as the AEM truboost and show that the tq cant be touched from the truboost. the question is why.. seems no one knows.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tom, we have yet to see the same car, running the same boost MBC & ECU same day to get a consise idea of what you are claiming... that is all...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Tom, we have yet to see the same car, running the same boost MBC & ECU same day to get a consise idea of what you are claiming... that is all...
I could do another test on my personal car, but honestly i no longer have that same motivation i once had to test it again after what ive experienced with it.

I dont think id even do it on my personal evo again if i were paid to. The only way im willing to do it again is if its remotely, since i can sit on my *** over here and be lazy and let the customer go out and do the physical activity in testing his car

I asked Chuck if he was ok if we test 3 port again vs the AEM and i think hes willing to do it, so whenever he is free next we can put some more data up. (same day within the same 1-2 hrs, and will try to match boost for both units as best as i can).
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

wow super nice numberS!!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been a very interesting read. I have no experience with 3 port ECU boost control and have only read about how good it can be. I use the Hallman Pro RX with ceramic ball and original stiff spring.

I think what we are seing is just the result of the mbc´s mechanical control keeping the wg more closed in the spool up and peak boost area and thus spiking more and giving better results. Apparently it seems the 3 port is not doing this even if it is being commanded to do so, I can understand this as it will be hard for a computer to simulate the mbc´c mechanical control, specialy as a turbo goes from 0 boost to its maximum boost in such a short time frame. Basically I think the mbc is letting the turbo go all out with and the 3 port is always trying to control (lower the spike maybe?) even when it is asked not to.

I like very much how a good mbc works, and if the boost spike is too much for stock rods we can always port the wg openings in the hotside a bit more.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
You could just run a MBC in parallel with the 3-port and run the 3-port at 100% WGDC during the spool-up RPMs. I'm thinking of trying that on my car. In theory, it should give MBC spool-up and 3-port boost modulation advantages.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

dump for updates
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3port in parallel wouldnt do what you want because it would work like the worse of both in all instances. You would need to run them in series. Then boost control becomes a pain in the *** below wherever the MBC is set but it might work better.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
It seems silly to me to compare two different cars with different parts and different peak boost level (see my first question above) on different days, different start RPM, with a software dyno where it's much less of a controlled environment

Agreed. If you want validity, get one Evo on a dyno (real) and do some back to back testing. Swapping from ECU boost to MBC should take all of 5 minutes. At this point, its just comparing apples to oranges or bananas to grapes.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:55 PM

Great build man !
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:55 PM

Didnt u once have a fp black in this beast?