Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

TSComp 2.3L - CBRD BBK-3B - GSC S3 - 1200cc of alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 02:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
TSComp 2.3L - CBRD BBK-3B - GSC S3 - 1200cc of alcohol

Here is John's full build we completed a few weeks ago that we are now sharing.
We not only did a full build on the vehicle mechanically, But we also did a full detail
wash, clay, polish, sealer, wax job on the exterior paint. We also had the wing resprayed
due to the clear coat fogging up.

John went from a stock block, to our TSComp 2.3L Billet engine, Which consists of manley
Turbo tuff i-beam rods, Wiseco HD 1400 pistons, Manley Turbo Tuff stroker crank.

John has no access to E85 in his area, So we stuck with what he already had, Which was an
Aquamist methanol injection kit. We upgraded the nozzles larger to spray a total of 1200cc
from 700cc or so, And we replaced/repaired lines, and fixed wiring issues found in the kit
prior to the last person who installed it.

Temps were: 88F
Fuel: 93 octane + 1200cc of denatured alcohol

Mod list on John's car consist of the following:

TSComp Spec 2.3L Billet rotating assembly
TSComp/McCarty Spec Ported cyl head + assembly
TSComp 4" SD intake
CBRD BBK-3B /w 3.5" anti-surge cover
3" HKS TBE (catless)
Maperformance Dumptube o2 /w 38mm tial WG
Buschur 3.5" FMIC
Buschur 65mm TB
Buschur Ported exhaust manifold
ID1000cc inj
Walbro 450
Sparktech Non CDI
Grimmspeed 3 port
CBRE Ported intake manifold + 70mm Full Blown TB
GSC S3 cams & full valvetrain
Tephra V7 /w dual aquamist fail safe (2 stage boost control)

Below or attached are pictures of John's final exterior & Engine bay after our detail
and mechanical labor performed on the vehicle.

In 70F the car did make around 530WHP, But I wanted to share the most recent results we did.

Old Aug 16, 2016, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fantastic work!
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Aug 22, 2016)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the 450 running on stock fuel lines?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Great work tom.
tscompusa (Aug 22, 2016)
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Super clean and great specs with exception of S3 cams that seem poorly matched to a 2.3L, especially with a 3B. I hit full boost before 3900 rpm on my 2.0L with 3B and R2s. I know MIVEC matters, but I wouldn't think it matters that much. Maybe tuning for a later boost hit for some reason?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tekniq
Is the 450 running on stock fuel lines?
I believe it is yes. Its also got a direct hardwire to the battery im almost positive. We didnt install the fuel system, And I did not have a reason to dig into the fuel system to deep with this car, So I have limited info on it.

It's also on a stock regulator, So I imagine the siphon is enlarged on this car to regular the pressure.

Originally Posted by mrfred
Super clean and great specs with exception of S3 cams that seem poorly matched to a 2.3L, especially with a 3B. I hit full boost before 3900 rpm on my 2.0L with 3B and R2s. I know MIVEC matters, but I wouldn't think it matters that much. Maybe tuning for a later boost hit for some reason?
Thanks mrfred! The S3 were on the car way before we got it. I tuned this car on the stock block, And in 4th gear it made over 500whp on the stock block as well awhile back in colder temps.

John wanted the engine built so it was safer to make more power/torque so we built it for him.

The car hits hard right around 3500RPM when you're in it, but yes S3 cams do shift the powerband to the right alittle due to laggier spoolup.

Nothing will spool like an S1 or S2, The R2 are inbetween a S3 and S2. The R2 are still hurting your low end spool.

Now that being said, This turbo can hold power pretty good uptop, So both R2 and S3 do help a little on the top end.

it would be interesting to throw a set of S1 or S2 in a car like this though and see what the comparison overlay would be like. I suspect full boost around 3300-3400RPM or so since its a 2.3L & stock plenum.

Mivec does matter, but its not a ton of difference. Off the top of my head I want to say maybe you can get 250-400RPM quicker spool from a mivec vs non mivec.

In regards to how its spooling I couldnt say. The car has a really unique boost control setup. It has dual 3 port solenoids, And two wastegates.

It has an internal wastegate and an external. It came like this, and He wanted his turbo stuff to stay the same so we just went with it. It was very confusing to say the least when came time to reassemble all those vac lines.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Compared to S2 on my Evo, R2 is a bit softer offboost and boost threshold is about 100 rpm later. Your customer car does hold well out to 8000 rpm. Mine is falling off a bit by then, could be my MAF and small intake. Would be interesting to see how much of a difference S2/R2 makes on your customer car. Pretty easy swap.

Last edited by mrfred; Aug 23, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mr. Fred beat me to it, I was about to ask why the S3s over R2s. I'm sure this car is a lot of fun, nice job Tom!
tscompusa (Aug 24, 2016)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Tom thanks for posting the results with the build !! I have been very busy with work since bringing the car home on Sunday evening, it was raining that day so really haven't had a chance to really drive the car hard. I can feel the difference in torque though, it pulls pretty effortlessly .When I get a chance I will update my thoughts a little more after driving it some.

The car feels ultra smooth for a 2.3 as it actually feels just about the same as my stock 2.0 did. Also as Tom has mentioned , not only do the S3 cams hurt the spool a little I'm sure the anti-surge cover also may hurt it a little too. Tom any chance you can overlay my old graphs with the new ones to show the difference in spool/ torque? Looking forward to future remote tunes Tom . Thanks again
tscompusa (Aug 24, 2016)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, I think the anti-surge covers soften the boost threshold and move it to the right. In my experience they affect offboost power as well. Nice setup though.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I think the anti-surge covers soften the boost threshold and move it to the right. In my experience they affect offboost power as well. Nice setup though.
Thanks mrfred !! I only have the S3 cams because at the time back in 2013 when I had them installed the S2's that I really wanted were back ordered for months and months and I grew impatient and just went with the S3's. I don't honestly know if R2's were out then , but since reading about them they seem like a cam I will probably switch too seeing there designed for stoker engines.

In the future going to get the car back on a dyno jet to see what it puts down just for refrence, I will take it down to the same I always used just because I know what my car did there prior. Going to wait for temps to cool down a bit though.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Where in CT are you? Tom did my initial tune.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tekniq
Where in CT are you? Tom did my initial tune.
I live right near Middlebury which is close to Waterbury, we should meet up some time.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 03:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Compared to S2 on my Evo, R2 is a bit softer offboost and boost threshold is about 100 rpm later. Your customer car does hold well out to 8000 rpm. Mine is falling off a bit by then, could be my MAF and small intake. Would be interesting to see how much of a difference S2/R2 makes on your customer car. Pretty easy swap.
I think S2 will really wake it up low end. S1 even more so, But S1 would most likely hurt the top end.

If you're still sucking air through the MAF inlet, Then yes I would say thats not helping. Have you removed the screen or modified it in any way? Removing the screen will help you also a little bit.

This car was very fun to drive. Whenever I drive & tune a mid range size turbo like this it always makes me wonder why I personally have a laggy big turbo sometimes.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Mr. Fred beat me to it, I was about to ask why the S3s over R2s. I'm sure this car is a lot of fun, nice job Tom!
Thanks Will!

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Tom thanks for posting the results with the build !! I have been very busy with work since bringing the car home on Sunday evening, it was raining that day so really haven't had a chance to really drive the car hard. I can feel the difference in torque though, it pulls pretty effortlessly .When I get a chance I will update my thoughts a little more after driving it some.

The car feels ultra smooth for a 2.3 as it actually feels just about the same as my stock 2.0 did. Also as Tom has mentioned , not only do the S3 cams hurt the spool a little I'm sure the anti-surge cover also may hurt it a little too. Tom any chance you can overlay my old graphs with the new ones to show the difference in spool/ torque? Looking forward to future remote tunes Tom . Thanks again
Yes wait until you get to play with it. It pulls pretty strong for its setup. I didnt do that much with it, Because I do not like to play with customers cars, But from doing the pulls for tuning and vacuum pulls for breaking the engine in, It definitely moves pretty good.

I will dig up that data and post it for you. It would only be fair to show 3rd gear vs 3rd gear though.

Thanks mrfred !! I only have the S3 cams because at the time back in 2013 when I had them installed the S2's that I really wanted were back ordered for months and months and I grew impatient and just went with the S3's. I don't honestly know if R2's were out then , but since reading about them they seem like a cam I will probably switch too seeing there designed for stoker engines.

In the future going to get the car back on a dyno jet to see what it puts down just for refrence, I will take it down to the same I always used just because I know what my car did there prior. Going to wait for temps to cool down a bit though.
Whenever you want to swap cams just let me know, I'll give you a really good deal since we did all the work on your car now.

Id wait and do it once we do the E85 mixing ordeal we talked about earlier.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

I live right near Middlebury which is close to Waterbury, we should meet up some time.
Im in East Hartford.