Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help me select the speakers I want.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
thanks for the help everyone.. If i do go with focal speakers, will i also need tweeters along with that? or will the speakers do the job just fine?
If you're going for a full stock replacement, which includes tweeters, get a set of components, which are the tweeters, mid drivers, and the crossovers to link them together. How much experience do you have with audio equipment? I truly mean no offense by saying this, but if you're asking the question you just asked, I'm thinking the money you're going to spend on Focal's might fall on deaf ears (you know what I mean). You might be satisfied with something like some Alpine Type R's or S's or the Rainbows that I mentioned above, both are less than the Focals (the Rainbows will give them a good run for their money for far less money). Both are about 230 for the set but you can find the Alpines for less on ebay and quite a few online stores. Again, it depends if you know what you're listening for.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a new head unit or are you going to use the stock unit and get a nice amp? I replaced the head unit in my VIII with one that had 25 RMS and the extra power really cleaned things up with just the factory speakers. The sound was much better and it didn't cost me much either.

If you're looking for a luxury Mark Levinson system or something like that, then you're going to need to splurge and get a lot of higher end stuff. The sad part about that is I've heard a lot of high cost systems that don't sound any better than my factory speakers. So I have to agree with BillAce - find something that you think sounds nice.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking for sound like you would hear in a ultra high end luxury car then Focal is the brand you want. One route you could take would be to go with a set of Polyglass 165 V2 components up front with a Focal FP 2.75 amp. You can keep your stock rear speakers and run them off the headunit to add some "fill" to the rear of the car. This setup will sound alright, but... it's all personal preference and I personally like good quallity sound to come from the rear of my car therefore I have the 165 V2 components up front with a set of Polyglass 165 V1 coaxial speakers in the rear deck and instead of the FP 2.75, I just upgraded to the Focal FP 4.75 which is a 4-channel verses the 2-channel. I used to have an Alpine PDX 4 channel and wow, the Focal blows the Alpine out the water. The Focal even has less watts 75 per channel for the Focal and 120 per chanel for the Alpine. Some people on here think that just because someone decides to run high quality speakers in the rear with a 4-channel amp that it's foolish and uncalled for. My system is heavily biased to the front speakers but my rear "fill" sounds amazing and adds an extra detail to my music over going the cheap route and using the power from my headunit to power a set of stock or "cheaper" speakers. IMHO you get what you pay for and even though the cheaper route of a 2-channel amp with the cheap or stock rear speakers running off the headunit may work and sound decent, spending the extra money and getting a good quality set of rear speakers and a 4-channel amp will add that extra detail to your system.