Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

found a low jack i didnt know about- Help- Spedo/dome lights out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
found a low jack i didnt know about- Help- Spedo/dome lights out

So, i just bought a 05 GSR and was relocating the boost gauge from the ash tray to the steering column.

Once i finished I started the car and noticed the light behind the speedometer was out or very dim. Picture below

shortly after that my dome lights stopped working.

Took the car from a drive and now when i turn power to onto the car the radio makes a weird buzzing noise and starts on an AM station.
Also the keyfob/alarm does not work.

I'm guessing I blew a fuse some how? maybe when pulling on the wires up to the steering collumn something touched metal. Anyone have any idea which fuse(s) it would be for the issues I'm having?

The strangest part though is while down there looking by the clutch pedal i found a lot of weird wiring and then i saw this..

I'm guessing its a low jack? Next to the lights on it it says GSP. Celluartelemetry. Cell service
I asked the previous owner, he had no idea. I'm guessing its from the original owner.

Is it safe to remove this thing? or might it disable the car if i do?

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Alex
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
just follow where it's wired in and see what all it's connected to. PITA sometimes but worth it if you're yanking it
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
just follow where it's wired in and see what all it's connected to. PITA sometimes but worth it if you're yanking it
have you uninstalled one before?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
No but there's nothing special it's doing. It's not running anything on the car so as long as you're making sure to re-solder cut wires (if there are any, likely not) or anything along those lines you'll be fine
Old Jan 7, 2015, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
The LoJack I found in mine was wired to the Red wire with a Black line through it. It went from the battery to fuse 22 (which does tons of stuff, including dome lights) it's inside the underhood yellow bracket in the fuse box. After fuse 22 it went to connector C-129 in the driver's side door kick panel and to connector C-05 which is where the LoJack was awkwardly soldered in causing a battery drain of 0.100. I yanked it out and didn't experience any issues.

To figure this out you'll need the following pdfs from the evo service manual:

GR00001200-80A.pdf
GR00001300-90.pdf

I also had a left side gauge cluster flicker, which somehow fixed itself long before I did any of the above. And I too had my radio randomly turning itself on to an AM station whenever I'd corner hard. It was a loose connector. After re-securing everything the problem hasn't come back.

Sorry not being very scientific about this, just good old amateur electrical troubleshooting.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Name User
The LoJack I found in mine was wired to the Red wire with a Black line through it. It went from the battery to fuse 22 (which does tons of stuff, including dome lights) it's inside the underhood yellow bracket in the fuse box. After fuse 22 it went to connector C-129 in the driver's side door kick panel and to connector C-05 which is where the LoJack was awkwardly soldered in causing a battery drain of 0.100. I yanked it out and didn't experience any issues.

To figure this out you'll need the following pdfs from the evo service manual:

GR00001200-80A.pdf
GR00001300-90.pdf

I also had a left side gauge cluster flicker, which somehow fixed itself long before I did any of the above. And I too had my radio randomly turning itself on to an AM station whenever I'd corner hard. It was a loose connector. After re-securing everything the problem hasn't come back.

Sorry not being very scientific about this, just good old amateur electrical troubleshooting.
The issue with the speedo/dome lights/ radio/keyless entry happened after relocateing the boost gauge. I didn't do anything with the low jack. I didn't realize the low jack until I got down there trying to see what caused the boost gauge relocate to mess up those things. I'm guessing a wire got pulled on or touched metal?

The low jack in mine has its own fuse wired in with it. That explains some of the battery issues in the past. Previous owner DD the car for 6 years and had no idea it was there