Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Sumo’s Evo 7 (Electrical Gremlins)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Sumo’s Evo 7 (Electrical Gremlins)

Good Day All,

After looking high and low without any luck, I'm turning to the GURU's on this awesome Forum.

At the end of a 6+ year build on Dec 4th, my Evo 7 is now back on the road. While that in itself was a millstone, it hasn't come without it's issues. Let me start from the front and work my way back.

Park Lights
My front park lights do not come on, however my headlights and fog lights work fine.

Side Markers
My side markers do not come on at all, even though all connectors are connected.

Wipers
My wipers don't work.

MAP Sensor
I'm under the assumption that this was working, but maybe not. before my SD Conversation, the car would cut hard around the 5.5k rpm range. Since converting to SD, this is now fixed as I had a bypass harness made from the sensor right to the ECU.

Speedo
My speedo doesn't work, but tach and every other item works on the dash.

Front Speakers
My front speakers don't work, but my rear speakers do.

Rear Windows
My rear windows don't work, but my front work fine.

Rear Doors Locks
My rear doors don't work either, but my front doors also work just fine.

So far I've done the following:
  • Changed all fuses in the engine bay on the interior harness side of the fuse box.
  • I've inspected each connection on the interior harness for corrosion and they were all fine.
  • Pulled the door panels to make sure everything was connected.
  • Went over the engine harness and the parts of the interior harness that go to the outside of the car.
With that said...To All Mods, If I am duplicating any threads, I apologies in advance, as I would hate to be duplicating something that's already out there. Please direct me to a link if any.
If there is non, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sumopower87; Feb 3, 2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Is this the original evo 7 harness? Not swapped with an 8/9 us spec harness? Seems like you may have some damage inside the wiring loom you may not be able to see unless it's pulled out and inspected, melted through abunch of wires causing them to short and loss of power. All of the problems seem to be limited to the section of loom that carry interior/lighting functions.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Jan 29, 2024)
Old Feb 2, 2023, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallySport9
Is this the original evo 7 harness? Not swapped with an 8/9 us spec harness? Seems like you may have some damage inside the wiring loom you may not be able to see unless it's pulled out and inspected, melted through abunch of wires causing them to short and loss of power. All of the problems seem to be limited to the section of loom that carry interior/lighting functions.
The harness is indeed the original harness for the car. I was hoping that what you're saying was not the case, as I've thought of that as well; but just wanted to take my chances on getting feedback here first.

I guess it's saving up time to have a custom harness built.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 09:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
100% you don’t have a couple grounds hooked up. My evo 7 also had those symptoms until I hooked up the ground that’s behind the radio and I think it was a ground I missed on the passenger side , at the footwell. Check if grounds were cut off by accident. In the service manual, it shows all the grounding points
sumopower87 (Jan 29, 2024)
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hrvat-9
100% you don’t have a couple grounds hooked up. My evo 7 also had those symptoms until I hooked up the ground that’s behind the radio and I think it was a ground I missed on the passenger side , at the footwell. Check if grounds were cut off by accident. In the service manual, it shows all the grounding points
Thanks man. I'll definitely investigate. Ambition is low, but it's something that has to be done. Also thank you for reminding me I had this thread .
Alot has been going on personally, and I've been dragging my feet with the updates.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

With that, here's an update...

Park Lights
My front park lights do not come on, however my headlights and fog lights work fine. The bulbs just needed to change. Swapped in some new LED's and issue solved.

Side Markers
My side markers do not come on at all, even though all connectors are connected. Same for these. New bulbs and wallah.

Wipers
My wipers don't work. This is still unconfirmed. I'm leaning more to a dead wiper motor. But wiring could also be a potential issue in the mix.

MAP Sensor
I'm under the assumption that this was working, but maybe not. before my SD Conversation, the car would cut hard around the 5.5k rpm range. Since converting to SD, this is now fixed as I had a bypass harness made from the sensor right to the ECU.

Speedo
My speedo doesn't work, but tach and every other item works on the dash. I'm still unsure of this one. Again I bought a new to me speedo. Could be bad wiring between the speed sensor and the speedo.

Front Speakers
My front speakers don't work, but my rear speakers do.
Front speakers were blown. Bought a set of 4 new Alpines and they're doing just fine.

Rear Windows
My rear windows don't work, but my front work fine.
So I pulled the rear door wiring for inspection, and I think the switches are dead. So those will be on order eventually.

Rear Doors Locks
My rear doors don't work either, but my front doors also work just fine. This might be also related to the wiring, or I might need new door actuators, as these were not the original ones, and we're out of an Evo 9. " if the old one's still survived, I might be able to swap out and see.
hrvat-9 (Jan 29, 2024)
Old Jan 29, 2024, 01:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sumopower87
Thanks man. I'll definitely investigate. Ambition is low, but it's something that has to be done. Also thank you for reminding me I had this thread .
Alot has been going on personally, and I've been dragging my feet with the updates.
at least your car starts! i can’t get power to my fuel pump :,(
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hrvat-9
at least your car starts! i can’t get power to my fuel pump :,(
Ha! Fun story. Some how... Some way... My fuel pump and AC pins were swapped. So when we were cranking the car up for the first time, we realized that if the ac wasn't on the car wouldn't start. We swapped them back to where they should have been and boom! First crank and it started right up.

Hopefully that's not the case with your car, and I hope you get it sorted.

Check all the fuses, and relays. A fuse might be blown or the relay might be dead.

Part number for the Evo 7/8/9 Relay is MR514694
And there's 2 other relays under the dash in the relay box check this out

Hope that helps
​​​​​

Last edited by sumopower87; Jan 30, 2024 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding a link to a photo