Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Read Me!! ACT Clutch review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 275 Likes on 212 Posts
I had experience with 3 of their ACT HD organics, of which I installed 2 from new, one with their ultralight flywheel, and no complaints from me... works like a charm, no special running in done either..
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mahdipers
It seems you are one of their customer service trying to hide the fact that the quality of the product is bad. I am trying to give people advice not to waste their money on a product that does not even come with a warranty. They say they will give a year warranty, but I promise they won't guarantee their junk quality product. Because they know how junk of a quality their product is. It also does not matter how many posts I have. I just heard about this forum and wanted to share my really bad experience with ACT to others, so they know who they are dealing with. I know whole a lot of people with racing cars as we have car meetings here in NC, and I won't recommend this product to any of them.
Your clutch magically disintigrated in 5 miles? I don't believe you.

Plenty of people have used ACT, including me. I have used ACT clutches twice. Both lasted a long time.

So I am going to guess the quality of your driving is junk. A 335 happens to be my daily driver, and I am on the OEM clutch no problems. The 335 also has a dual mass flywheel, so not sure if you used the OEM one or not.

I am also going to guess you dumped your clutch or slipped it a few times after you thought you bought an invincible piece of equipment, and do to your own recklessness which you refuse to take responsibility for, you're projecting your anger at ACT instead of manning up to it yourself.

This explains why you log on to an Evo forum, which has a large number of people who use ACT clutches, when you drive a 335.

Cars are not indestructible, especially when going up against idiots.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Absolutely love my ACT XTSS. You definitely need to have it adjusted properly. But they're a fantastic clutch and definitely the go to choice for a single disc.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
FWIW I also had an ACT clutch with only 14,000 miles disintegrate and destroy my bell housing. I ran an ACT with no issues in my SRT-4 but in the Evo it gave me a lot of issues. With that said I had a pleasant experience with their customer service despite the fact they wouldn't help me out any with my clutch or transmission. Up until the clutch disintegrated it held power really well and drove nicely so no complaints there... I won't run another ACT in my Evo or suggest one to anyone for theirs, but I may have just been one of the unlucky few.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Turndown
FWIW I also had an ACT clutch with only 14,000 miles disintegrate and destroy my bell housing. I ran an ACT with no issues in my SRT-4 but in the Evo it gave me a lot of issues. With that said I had a pleasant experience with their customer service despite the fact they wouldn't help me out any with my clutch or transmission. Up until the clutch disintegrated it held power really well and drove nicely so no complaints there... I won't run another ACT in my Evo or suggest one to anyone for theirs, but I may have just been one of the unlucky few.
Didn't you say in your post that there was something that got into the bell housing and destroyed the clutch?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,325 Posts

That's funny, here's your post saying it wasn't the ACT clutch...

A little update here... I heard from Raif last night and he said the clutch was not the issue, rather it looks as if something fell into or was left inside the trans... Either way whatever it was is now out of the trans, and did a number on the clutch on its way out lol As he gets deeper today I'll update as to what he thinks it was. I have not been inside the trans yet so whatever it was, it was left there from a previous owner or when the trans or cluitch was installed and I happened to be the unlucky receiver of the carnage... More info to follow!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Erik@MIL.SPEC (Jul 18, 2016)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's funny, here's your post saying it wasn't the ACT clutch...
Yeah that was before he got the clutch off and took a look at it. I was going off what he told me when he first got the trans out, as I live 3 hours from his shop I couldn't see it in person. I'm not bashing the company, my particular clutch I had from them just didn't hold up as long as I thought it would. I would still do business with them in the future despite this experience, just not with my Evo. Their customer service is great though

Last edited by Turndown; Jul 18, 2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRally
Didn't you say in your post that there was something that got into the bell housing and destroyed the clutch?
Yeah that was what I was told before the clutch was removed and inspected. For whatever reason I was given that info before it was inspected. I did update the post later with pictures of the clutch to show it was indeed the issue. I'm at times quick to post as I sit at work with the site open at all times lol
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I remember seeing the pictures in your thread. Looks like we had the same 6 puck disk. I had 65k miles on mine and you said you got 14k miles out of yours... From the pics it def looks like you were more aggresive on your clutch than I was, hence the mile differences. Both of our's were worn down to the rivets. My clutch was still holding but the throw out bearing failed before the clutch did(even though clutch was pretty much toast at that point). What exactly from the clutch came apart and caused a ruckus in your bell housing?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I remember seeing the pictures in your thread. Looks like we had the same 6 puck disk. I had 65k miles on mine and you said you got 14k miles out of yours... From the pics it def looks like you were more aggresive on your clutch than I was, hence the mile differences. Both of our's were worn down to the rivets. My clutch was still holding but the throw out bearing failed before the clutch did(even though clutch was pretty much toast at that point). What exactly from the clutch came apart and caused a ruckus in your bell housing?
Honestly it just looks like the pucks disintegrated or one of them did and just destroyed the rest of them. I never launched the car or dumped the clutch. If I ever ripped on it I was rolling and rolled into the throttle. I can't speak for the previous owner though, he certainly could have beat it up... Like I said though it could have just been a fluke and I got the one out of 1,000 that broke. As I often say, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all lol
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

So, what came out of your clutch that broke the bell housing?

You also said this:

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the clutch only had 14,000 miles on it and I've only put on roughly 700 of those miles. It may very well have prematurely disintegrated, as it kind of looks that way, but Raif suggested there may have been something left in there or what have you which is why I mentioned that, so it wasn't an assumption on my end. Either way it doesn't really matter because the damage was done anyways haha Where are you located? I haven't seen too many Evo's out this way surprisingly...

So you have no idea how the clutch was driven by the previous owner for most of it's life.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 18, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So, what came out of your clutch that broke the bell housing?

You also said this:So you have no idea how the clutch was driven by the previous owner for most of it's life.
I'm assuming just the pieces of clutch material but the pressure plate was beat to hell so it could have been something harder which is why I think Raif said it may be something else, though the pucks were disintegrated which is why we thought that's what it was originally. As I said, I can only speak for myself as far as how it was driven.

Last edited by Turndown; Jul 18, 2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:38 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm assuming just the pieces of clutch material but the pressure plate was beat to hell so it could have been something harder which is why I think Raif said it may be something else, though the pucks were disintegrated which is why we thought that's what it was. As I said, I can only speak for myself as far as how it was driven.

And you drove it for only 700 of 14,000 miles. The friction material coming off didn't cause that damage to anything, never mind breaking the bell housing. It wouldn't have broken off in big enough chunks, not is it hard enough to cause any damage. That clutch was very clearly abused before you got it.

Your open bashing of ACT is completely unwarranted.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I had a positive experience with an ACT in my evo. That said, I have seen others that had the notorious high rpm lockout. I suspect that the quality of the install might be the X factor when it comes to varied results.

Quick Reply: Read Me!! ACT Clutch review