Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another weight savings thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another weight savings thread

I know there are already a bunch of weight savings threads floating around and Ive read pretty much all of them... this is what I am trying to do now. Get the car to 2800lbs with some gas and the rollcage installed (Without driver). This is what I already have done:

Front / Rear Crash Beams
No rear wiper
Nothing in trunk
Removed all EVAP stuff
A few small brackets in the front
Lightweight clutch/flywheel assembly
Lightweight battery, intake piping, sheetmetal intake, full exhaust, headers, etc

Now this is what I am planning but Im not sure the weights of some of them:

A/C 30 lbs
Sound Deadening / Padding 17 lbs
Air Bags 20 lbs
Wing 7 lbs
Misc under dash Brackets 3 lbs
Door crash beams 25 lbs ???
Rear Seat 21 lbs
Rear Speakers 8 lbs
Front Seat Belt stuff 10 lbs
Under car brackets 10 lbs
Seats 45 lbs
Fuel Cell Conversion 40 lbs ???
Smaller radiator 20 lbs ???

Do these weights seem reasonable to everyone? Im just trying to get an idea of how much more weight I will need to shave to get to my target. The cage will add roughly 120 lbs to the car which sucks.

The car currently weighs 3050lbs without me
There is 256lbs of weight loss there

These are some other things I have thought about but either the cost or ammenities made it so I havent done them:

Rims 20 lbs
Dry C Hood 15 lbs
Dry C Trunk 8 lbs
Lexan Glass 60 lbs ???
Suspension 25 lbs
C Driveshaft 35 lbs ???
Stereo/speakers 17 lbs ???
Heater/Blower 25 lbs ???
Window Motors 25 lbs ??? (I may do just the backs since there wont be a seat anyways)
Rotors 20 lbs ??? (The only reason I havent is because I will most likely use smaller brakes to fit smaller tires)

All this together adds up to 506 lbs off my currect 3050.
This would make the car 2544 without a cage.

I guess I am mainly just trying to make sure that all of my weight estimates are close. Some of them I have used from other threads. Once I finish giving my car a diet I will make a list of weights so everyone will already know for sure in one handy spot.

I guess the other reason for making the post is to let people see that everything does add up. Alot of it isnt cheap but when you look at a stock form car of around 3300lbs and drop it to 2530 lbs you will see a HUGE difference. Like if you ran an 11.7 before you would be in the 10.9 range (Of course this is an estimate but should be somewhat close). I figured I would post this so people know to get 200 lbs of a car isnt that tough.... I found some ways to get very close to 800 lbs off... you may not have a heater or stereo but hey... you still have a dash and carpet and two seats

Last edited by TrinaBabe; Jan 19, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am looking to do the same thing, I think most it looks accurate. Who are you having do your cage? Do you notice a difference already with the things you took out?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it all sounds about right. as long as your removing the AC you might want to consider puling the entire HVAC assembly, it's a good amount of weight i'm guessing somewhere in the 60lb range.

Edit,

Just saw you included it in the 800lb weight savings.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

My car is a POS It never ran right so I dont really know. The last time it was at the track it was at 3250 without me in it. It sits today at 3050 but I dont have a wideband to tune it (The race gas finally destroyed my other one). It ran a crappy 11.5 @ 123 and I have solved all the problems associated with that crap run now and I will have much less weight. Stupid thing better hit a mid 10 shortly after the tracks reopen.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what the heater/blower meant... the whole system. I removed it on one of my DSMs and it was pretty heavy and full of coolant obviously. On our cars I gave it a low estimate of 25 lbs. Reality is its probably closer to 35. I really doubt 60. I will make a list of weights once I get more of them. I lost my last list which had the EVAP stuff on it but that was over 10 lbs of worthless crap.

Oh and I will be putting the cage in along with my local fabricator. He welds, I hold stuff I already got everything bent for it so its just a matter of putting it in now. Off topic real quick.... do I need to remove my rear glass to install the stupid cage to get it welded or no?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Trinababe will you still drive this on a street? Just curious if you worried at all safety wise.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Its kind like a weekend warrior. Yes I will drive it sometimes but not daily. The car has sat on stands more than on its rubber since I have owned it so I dont mind it not being driven too often. With a rollcage in the car, 5 point belts, window net, etc.... it should be relatively safe. The hitting the head on the cage is what makes it unsafe... maybe Ill wear a helmet everywhere I go

I road sportbikes for many many years and did many not so safe things on them. This is safer no matter how you break it down.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I am in the same boat here. Mine is a Garage Queen as well, I was just thinking one I do all this stuff how often I would really drive it on the street.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Thats what the heater/blower meant... the whole system. I removed it on one of my DSMs and it was pretty heavy and full of coolant obviously. On our cars I gave it a low estimate of 25 lbs. Reality is its probably closer to 35. I really doubt 60. I will make a list of weights once I get more of them. I lost my last list which had the EVAP stuff on it but that was over 10 lbs of worthless crap.

Oh and I will be putting the cage in along with my local fabricator. He welds, I hold stuff I already got everything bent for it so its just a matter of putting it in now. Off topic real quick.... do I need to remove my rear glass to install the stupid cage to get it welded or no?
Are we talking 25lbs wet or dry? i was including the coolant and all ducting in my 60 lbs.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

If you think that is bad you should see my RX7 I put a junkyard V8 in it, converted half the glass to plexi glass. There is NOTHING on the inside... three autometer guages, a shifter and a steering wheel. There are large gaping holes in the firewall and floor from where alot of the stock stuff was. The car smokes like hell, has rubber spacers in the front suspension to keep it from riding in the cement (Guess it wasnt designed for a V8 motor up there). I havent weighed it yet but its very scary to drive. Im guessing in the 2000 range with me in it. Thats a dangerous bastard... the Evo is MUCH more civilized than that bastard of a machine.

Sorry for all the off topic but I love my little Frankenstein.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

25 lbs total removed... I would guess closer to 35 but I think I may have over estimated on some so I under estimate others. The whole ducting probably weighs 3 lbs. The heater core is probably 12 dry, the fluid is probably another 7 and the motor another 7.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear wing is 7#'s.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Curt. Everything else look decent?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

just an observation but a lot of those numbers seem really high.

17lb of sound deadening?

21 pounds for the rear seat?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Those were taken from a few different people. Buschur actually posted slightly higher numbers. I think 21.8 and 17.2 or something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another weight savings thread