Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Judge the tune, not the messanger....

Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Judge the tune, not the messenger....

Well, I posted this elsewhere but the topic was closed by Shiv as it was in his forum.

This is not so much to stir up trouble as it is to point out that the guy that is working hardest to discredit Al's tuning abilities has problems of his own.

Before a bunch of you jump my *** and get this topic closed I want to point out that tuning any factory ECU is a challenge. There are so many variables from the time the customer tunes the car to the time he hauls it to a dyno that there is no telling what has changed or what problems have developed. The tune can seem completely out of whack.

In the case of this car the boost is controlled by the ECU as is the AFR's, timing etc. It is an Ecutek tune done by Shiv on a 2003 WRX. This is a Vishnu Stage 2 kit with the high boost tune in it. 16.34 psi was the highest the boost got.

The customer was here for a dyno day we held last week. We dyno'd 25 Subi's and 2 EVO's for a club event. This particular car had the worste tune in it of the day. There were 50 witnesses here that saw nothing shadey went on. It was just pulled in and dyno'd like the rest of the cars.

I would like to be able to brag about how aften I see messed up tunes from other shops come through here. Honestly though, as many of you know, we are out in the sticks, we don't get a lot of competition from other shops or see many cars tuned by others. Most guys that come here are tuned here and leave happy enough they don't generally go somewhere else.

The point of this, as I said, is to show that the guy pointing fingers at other tuners and making "country wide $25 dyno pulls" standard has his own flaws. This dyno chart, boost and AFR's suck.

The customer that owns the car is very unhappy with the car and is coming back next week for a re-tune from Al. I will also post up the before/after sheets.

Note the AFR's. At 3500 rpm they are between 12.6:1 and 12.1:1 with about 13 psi of boost. By 4,000 rpm they have dropped to 10.9:1, by 4500 rpm they are at 10.5:1 and then after 5,000 rpm are just dead flat at 10.0:1. Not what I would consider a "tuned" car.

Boost starts out decent until 6,000 rpm and then just dumps falling to 11 psi by 7,000 rpm.

The 2nd pull on the car showed what I would say was detonation as you can see a large dip in the curve from 5600-6400 rpm. I guess this tune won't let you run more than 1 full throttle run in 3rd gear closer than 3 minutes apart

Enjoy the information.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round and round they go. Shiv says Al can't tune and Al says Shiv can't tune...we all know they both can tune, so it really is pointless that they try to shoot each other down.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:48 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Round and round they go. Shiv says Al can't tune and Al says Shiv can't tune...we all know they both can tune, so it really is pointless that they try to shoot each other down.
Now, I could be way off base here but I'm almost positive that Al and Mr. Buschur are two completely different people. My first clue to that was the different names.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always good to see both sides of the story.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t

what are you talking about? i see no mention of Al...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:03 AM

hey guys,
i own that wrx... and as david said, we arent here to bash anyone or their capabilities. I for one am amazed at what both gentlemen can do with cars and i highly respect them both! all the aspects of tuning is mind boggling at times.

i think the point that mr buschur, and myself, are trying to get at is that NOONE has a 100% customer satisfaction rating so there is no point in knocking the other side when there is proof that your tune is flawed!

I am actually disappointed! when that car pulled on the dyno and i saw the actual numbers, i was embarrassed! i dont expect you guys to know wrx tuning companies as this is an evo forum (and a nice one!), but my car performed about as well as a cobb stage2... all that includes is an accessport and exhaust, vishnu has turbo upgrade among other things. horrible! with 14G invested into that car, it should perform helluva lot better. Even people non-biased at the tune day said it should have been better numbers than that. i could go on and on with how unhappy and disappointed i am, but i wont. let the numbers speak for themselves.

as david said, i will be in next week for a retune, we can post results then. again, im not bashing shiv and his capabilities or techniques, to his his own. the results are what matter, i personally am not happy so i went with a different tuner.

i apologize for not posting on the original thread, shiv closed it before i got a chance to...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:05 AM

sweet drama.

geographically, where did the original tune take place?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRXgasm
hey guys,
i own that wrx... and as david said, we arent here to bash anyone or their capabilities. I for one am amazed at what both gentlemen can do with cars and i highly respect them both! all the aspects of tuning is mind boggling at times.

i think the point that mr buschur, and myself, are trying to get at is that NOONE has a 100% customer satisfaction rating so there is no point in knocking the other side when there is proof that your tune is flawed!

I am actually disappointed! when that car pulled on the dyno and i saw the actual numbers, i was embarrassed! i dont expect you guys to know wrx tuning companies as this is an evo forum (and a nice one!), but my car performed about as well as a cobb stage2... all that includes is an accessport and exhaust, vishnu has turbo upgrade among other things. horrible! with 14G invested into that car, it should perform helluva lot better. Even people non-biased at the tune day said it should have been better numbers than that. i could go on and on with how unhappy and disappointed i am, but i wont. let the numbers speak for themselves.

as david said, i will be in next week for a retune, we can post results then. again, im not bashing shiv and his capabilities or techniques, to his his own. the results are what matter, i personally am not happy so i went with a different tuner.

i apologize for not posting on the original thread, shiv closed it before i got a chance to...
So, where are you from and did you contact the vendor about the poor performing tune before getting it dynoed. Where was it tuned?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I never had any thread closed? What thread are you talking about?

WRXgasm- I'm still not sure who you are or what mods you have? Could you provide this info? I'd really like to know what you guys are talking about.

Cheers,
shiv
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I wanna know why this is not on Nasioc instead of this site. It was probably closed for that reason as this is obviously another attempt to start a flamefest. This has nothing to do with EVOLUTIONS.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
I wanna know why this is not on Nasioc instead of this site. It was probably closed for that reason as this is obviously another attempt to start a flamefest. This has nothing to do with EVOLUTIONS.
Nothing has been closed, AFAIK. We tune WRXs just as often as EVOs so this is of some interest to me at least

shiv
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The flamewar irritant, if not this thread, is Shiv's signature ...

Personally, I'd like to see both vendors above this.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Nothing has been closed, AFAIK. We tune WRXs just as often as EVOs so this is of some interest to me at least

shiv
Funny; you even posted in the thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...01#post2752001
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

LOL Shiv thats soo funny because the quote in your sig is from the first thread that Dave mentioned you had closed LOL!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
LOL Shiv thats soo funny because the quote in your sig is from the first thread that Dave mentioned you had closed LOL!
I didn't close any thread. Re-read my past post. See the link that UFO provided. Is that thread closed?

shiv

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Judge the tune, not the messanger....