Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine management question.... Megasquirt??

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Engine management question.... Megasquirt??

I started this thread in the engine management forum, but I think that this Megasquirt is a fantastic option specially for those looking to DIY and saving lots of cash... I'm surprised I had not heard about before..
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201855
Old May 18, 2006, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
It seems to be a popular system for older vehicles and DIY types who liked to tinker. It began as a grassroots effort, and has gradually progressed to become somewhat more sophisticated.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am working on building a Megasquirt for the Evolution right now. I currently have a bench setup with a full engine wiring harness with the coil packs, cam and crank angle sensors. I chopped the connector from a stock ECU and used it to make an adaptor. So far, I got the coils to fire when triggered, but I'm not sure if they're being triggered at the right times due to the layout of the cam angle wheel. We'll see... I still haven't put it on a car and tried to start it yet.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric R287
I am working on building a Megasquirt for the Evolution right now. I currently have a bench setup with a full engine wiring harness with the coil packs, cam and crank angle sensors. I chopped the connector from a stock ECU and used it to make an adaptor. So far, I got the coils to fire when triggered, but I'm not sure if they're being triggered at the right times due to the layout of the cam angle wheel. We'll see... I still haven't put it on a car and tried to start it yet.
Cool, I'd like to see more stuff like that. It's time to get some of these items down to a more reasonable price. Also, it's good to see that people are hacking the systems and finding out how to make things work. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:13 PM

I have gotten a LOT done since I first posted. I got the megasquirt to properly "decode" the cam/crank position trigger wheels so I have the coils firing at the correct time. The car is running now... starts up right away!

Also, I currently have been working on boost control (using the stock wastegate valve), and IAC control. I have tested these on the bench with success, but haven't tested on the car yet.

I still plan to fully tune using a wideband o2 when I get a chance. Also, to test the launch control/flat shift among other things on my list.
Old May 3, 2020, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eric R287
I have gotten a LOT done since I first posted. I got the megasquirt to properly "decode" the cam/crank position trigger wheels so I have the coils firing at the correct time. The car is running now... starts up right away!

Also, I currently have been working on boost control (using the stock wastegate valve), and IAC control. I have tested these on the bench with success, but haven't tested on the car yet.

I still plan to fully tune using a wideband o2 when I get a chance. Also, to test the launch control/flat shift among other things on my list.

I know this is an Old Thread but I’m doing this know and I can’t find too much information on how to get it to work properly, could you help me ?
Old May 3, 2020, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenneth Lebron
I know this is an Old Thread but I’m doing this know and I can’t find too much information on how to get it to work properly, could you help me ?
MS has a fantastic community. I suggest you post any questions to them on their forum and I'm sure you'll find your answer.
​​​​​
With an MSPro and a patch harness you can pretty much do whatever you need, if you're after a mega squirt that is. Unfortunately they don't have native DBW control though.