Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forged Pistons and Rods in the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Claudius
I saw that before. I'll believe it the day someone shows me an Evo 8 rod or if someone from Mitsubishi shows me a technical datasheet for the rods.

Hi Claudius, I am thinking on the same lines as you and cant believe it is not rubbed in the faces of all advertising media by Mitsu....but I have read the same it looks real.....

There is another post on this BBS of someone's engine E8 letting go, number 4 got out of shape he believes its down to running fully synthetic in hot climate.....He has pic on here of it in bits and has someone working on it....would his mechanic know this from looking at it?

M
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe its unknown too most, but ALL, I repeat ALL Honda, Toyota, and Nissan engines are built with forged cranks and connecting rods. This means that a sentra or civic cx comes with forged crank and rods. This is the Japanese way of producing engines, its been that way since the late 60's early 70's. The Datsun 240z in 1969 came with forged crank and rods, so did the lowly 510. This does not mean that they put in forged pieces like you would see from an aftermarket supplier (Carillo,Eagle,June,etc..). Those suppliers build stronger and lighter pieces. Not to mention since they are not mass produced they can take wonderfull notice to detail, balancing and fine finishing of the product. That's why we pay $150+ for a forged rod. Car manufacturers are not putting in these pieces with 500hp on their minds, they simply want stronger and more durable engines. Its the way Japanese culture goes, they don't beleive in low quality stuff.
That said, I, although never have rebuilt a Mitsu 2.0l before (only v6 3000gt), can guarantee that we do indeed have forged crank and rods. Im not even sure if most of you can determine just by looking at a piece if it is indeed forged or not. Anyhow, I will not be in the hunt of going past 400hp, so my internals will do just fine.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hybrid1

Hi Claudius, I am thinking on the same lines as you and cant believe it is not rubbed in the faces of all advertising media by Mitsu....but I have read the same it looks real.....

There is another post on this BBS of someone's engine E8 letting go, number 4 got out of shape he believes its down to running fully synthetic in hot climate.....He has pic on here of it in bits and has someone working on it....would his mechanic know this from looking at it?

M
Yes a machanic could tell.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
Sure you can tell. Forged rods are pressed with over 100 tons of pressure and have a very smooth surface. Cast rods have slightly rough surfaces. I'll try and dig out some pictures, but it's easier to tell IRL.
Then my Eclipse definitely has cast rods. They were even rough before they were shot-peened. Doesn't seem to hinder the guys running 450hp to the wheels on them.