Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust regulations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust regulations

HI there, im not sure exactly where this would fit into the forum but I guess this is the place.

Does anyone know what regulations there are about exhaut pipes? Im pretty new to 'modding' and just wondered if there are limits to how un restricted your exhaust is. Do you need a back box? And are there any adjusstable exhaust systems that would allow you to chage it from a muted - maybe legal - volume, to a straight through system with no restrictions?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:21 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

There are exhausts available with silencers that you can install in the muffler tip to reduce noise.

Mark
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

actually the test pipe switchs are cool. www.jic-magic.com makes one. i have seen it, and its defintely something on the to buy list if my car gets to loud. it leaves you with a switch that slowly opens or closes it, in the ****-pit, so if pulled over a cop can go test your dB and you hit that switch. suddenly they are confused. ... i don't know how much it runs it should be on the site and yes it is universal.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Regulations vary state to state, and obviously different countries.. I'm assuming your from the US..

Test pipes are 100% ILLEGAL in all states except in off-road conditions, there are also DOT specified noise limits for an exhaust system, most exhausts that you will come across (WITH A CAT) will usually run close to the legal limit, but will pass.

Now with that said.. your car will probably still run pretty clean without a catalytic converter, its mainly used to reduce polutants with unburned fuel, if you have a good running engine, and its tuned properly, most fuel injected cars will pass a smog check (not visual mind you) with fairly low amounts of emissions, I think with the exception of NOx emissions.. (I'm a bit rusty at this so correct me if I'm innacurate)

Now, emission laws are kinda weird.. Tampering or removing an emission component from a car could potentially lead to fines, but I think that applies to a licensed repair facility, or emissions testing facility that does not report tampering can also get fined.

However, when a vehical exceeds a certain mileage (or the car hits a certain age) some of these restrictions expire, and equipment can legally be removed (and/or replaced) since at a certain point, visual inspections may no longer be necessary.

And let me point out something in NY State just because I live here.. We have the kind of smog check where they place the car on a dyno, and then simulate common driving situations.. HOW would that be possible with an AWD car?!?! All of those dynos are 2 wheel drive..
Old Jun 11, 2003, 05:48 PM
dan

Infact I believe it's a federal law that all cars after a certain year(1970s something) requires a Catalytic Convertor due to emissions. I know here in Virginia you can get fined up to 2000 bucks, for not having one. However track cars do not have to follow this federal law, that's why you find people selling race pipes. I know a lot of people who are running a race pipe instead of their cat, and put a cat cover over the race pipe so it looks like they have a cat. So if Mr. Johnny Five decides to take a peak under your car, he'll see that you have a cat ?? I'll leave this one up to your morals, to abide by the law or break it.

Also that silencer that you shove in the back of the exhaust tip, is called a baffle.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

That is also my plan.. I ordered the buschur turbo back exhaust system with the test pipe.. once I get the system installed and tested, I'm going to order the CAT for the street and swap it in..
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
You can get a hi flow "racing" cat to get better exhaust gas flow and still have a cat. That's what they do in Switzerland where they have very strict rules. Very expensive, though.
I think buschur has one for $150, don't know if its flanged or designed for clamps though. A 3" high flow cat that is, I'm thinking about doing one along with a catback from rmr.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I just got my BuschurTurbo back today. Going on this weekend. I'm going to run the test pipe without the CAT.

They do sell a 3" high flow CAT but it does take some HP away.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by Claudius
They should advertise them in Switzerland, they cost like $1,000 there!
Even the cost of export and shipping would still be cheaper than that..
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MalibuJack:

NJ is the same way now. I am assuming the will have to have a 4-wheel dyno at one of the stations, if not they will test it the old-fashion way at idle in neutral. Should be a fun arguement when you do go for inspection though.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

there is def. noise regs. i should know. I got a 100$ ticket when i started my car in a parking lot. This was with my 2000 GTZ SDS, built engine with Supercharger and HKS muffler and STOCK oh yes, STOCK piping between cat and muffler.

actually i was lucky though, cause i was Drunk as a skunk, and in CT if you are drunk and have your keys in your ignition....DWI. And i appealed the ticket and i got thrown out of court.

FYI.....so i dont get yelled at, i live 3 minutes up the street from where i got my ticket i do not condone drunk drivin, after that i realized IT IS STUPID