Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost guage and turbo timer install price?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost guage and turbo timer install price?

Hey guys. I want to get a greddy turbo timer and a boost guage installed but i dont want to mess anything up. Im new to turbos. How much do you think the installation should cost for both of those and the time it should take for each installation? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

First of all, let me say that I would suggest installing it yourself. It might be a bit time consuming and annyoing, but you will achieve the following:
1. Save a lot of cash (see below)
2. Learn how it is hooked up and how it works, so when something goes wrong you can easily diagnose it

Most shops will charge you per hour. They will probably figure 1-2 hrs for the TT depending whether it has any extra function. They will probably figure the same time for the boost gauge, although there should be some time savings if you're installing it at the same time, so maybe an extra 45-60 minutes for the gauge.

So you are probably looking at 2-3 hrs of mechanics time at $60-80 per hour, which would run you $120-240. I have seen people pay that. Again, I would suggest doing it yourself.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

its not that hard, many other folks have written up faq's with pictures step by step on how to perform these two functions. these two i would consider very very simple additions
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:51 PM
bs
Evolving Member

yeah i agree. if you can read instructions then you can install these items with ease. these are actually good places to start for first installs imo. the defi boost gauge in my evo was the first thing i had ever installed and it was very easy! don't pay $200 to get these installed.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. I'm sure you can do them, yourself. Some TTs even come with a harness that is a direct bolt on to the harness under your steering column. Pretty easy stuff.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 02:22 PM

I heard that installing a boost gauge will void the warranty, Is this true?
Old Jun 28, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

very cool guys, i wasnt sure how difficult it would be to install these items. the guy at my shop said 175 for the turbo timer install i think including a greddy tt. I think he said it would take about 5 hrs for the TT install or maybe he was talking about both installs, but either way that doesnt sound right.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

$175 is a rip off for just the turbo timer install. You can just do it yourself. It takes about 3-4 hours and isn't that much work at all. It's not worth that much money. Maybe both installs together... But not the TT by itself.
__NiTe__
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

if you want some help i can do it for you just hit me up i installed is2000 greddy guage for him you can watch and learn for the next install and you can try it your self then... im in SOCAL also
Old Jul 7, 2003, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

my god.. it costs that much to install a tt... that was the most simple thing i've done... easier than rotating my wheels! i think it took me about 10-15 minutes total time! however i did have a harness...
Old Jul 8, 2003, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by apursell
its not that hard, many other folks have written up faq's with pictures step by step on how to perform these two functions. these two i would consider very very simple additions
It depends on what you consider "easy" and whether one has the tools, space and time.... For instance, just running the wires and lines from the engine bay to the inside of the car can be a tedious and difficult job in the EVO. Running the wires for my HU was quite a job and required removing the fender liner, etc.
Mounting the gauges can also require a lot of thought and some good skills plus a good supply of miscellaneous odss and ends... For me, a top notch, quality installation is worth the money I pay to get it done... OTOH, a hack job done by some incompetent fool is worse than anything I can butcher up myself. Personally, I don't have much time or a place to do these things, so.....