Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Knock Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad Knock Sensor?

Has anybody successfully associated a reported knocksum with a bad knock sensor? I found a couple accounts of people replacing the sensor, but it was usually coupled with changing something else at the same time.

My car is basically an ongoing chronicle of things and I'm pretty clueless as to what is generating my knocksum. I'm now investigating the possibility of the knock sensor actually being faulty.

-Jon
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would like to know this as well.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't go there yet. I just had camshafts installed. After that I had a tune, and I had inconsistencies in my knocks. One run I would get some, but other runs I wouldnt. My tuner said my car was pulling timing and I didn't get any huge differences in torque, just a bit more hp. He said it might be my knock sensor or bad batch of gas. I remember though that I changed my spark plugs. Then I rechecked them and I didn't gap them low enough. It was at 0.030 and I put the gap smaller to 0.025. I reset my ECU and I can feel the car pull better. I won't get a tune 'till next year since I'm putting the car away at the end of the month for winter. We'll wait and see if my knocks come back.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Usually detonation causes knock sum. Don't rule this out until you know for sure - buy a tank of racegas and see if the knock goes away - THEN blame it on the sensor.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

I swapped out the knock sensor just in case. Yet another record of the knock sensor NOT being the culprit.

-Jon
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stimpy
I swapped out the knock sensor just in case. Yet another record of the knock sensor NOT being the culprit.

-Jon
so you swapped out the knock sensor for a brand new one? how hard was that to do? i didn't try the race gas, but did you?

what about one of the injectors not flowing right? i am gonna try that today, by swapping out my stock injectors for another spare set i have.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

check to make sure your downpipe isnt touching the lower crossmember bars. if it is it can cause knock
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
so you swapped out the knock sensor for a brand new one? how hard was that to do? i didn't try the race gas, but did you?
You can't actually reach all the parts needed to remove so it requires serious contortion. There is an intake manifold stay that must be removed to even get to the knock sensor. The stay has bolts that are fairly inaccessible. Then you need a 27mm O2-sensor style socket to undo the sensor. The sensor itself is buried beneath the intake manifold and nestled into the block. I did it on a lift and it still took about 45min with lots of cursing.

Originally Posted by elhalisf
what about one of the injectors not flowing right? i am gonna try that today, by swapping out my stock injectors for another spare set i have.
I swapped injectors with a good set from an EVO9 with no change. I also ran race gas, which only marginally improved the knocksum.

-Jon
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo150
check to make sure your downpipe isnt touching the lower crossmember bars. if it is it can cause knock
I had a downpipe that was hitting my transfer case. The car currently has a stock downpipe. Like I said, it is an epic saga.

-Jon
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Trying to diagnose phantom knock is annoying as hell.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

ok, i believe now that its my lifters. i took a hollow rod and put it on the valve cover, trying to get it to work like a stethoscope. i can definatley hear one of the lifters making a knocking sound.
it could also explain why i didn't feel a power gain when i added the hks 272 cams. i did bleed the lifters, so i cant explain why one of them got damaged.