Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My HTA dyno results (more boost)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:23 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
If you read the literature about Shootout mode.. it says nothing about flywheel estimates. So what you are saying is contrary to DD's own copy.

Secondly, I can post to you literally hundreds of Shootout 44 graphs which are ATW power as posted on the MLR.

I just wish a DD operator in the states would get off his *** and call the company they bought the 100k dyno from and ask them why every DD operator in the UK used Shoutout 44 mode. And trust me, DD won't be saying it is a flywheel estimate. To say there is a mode in what is likely the best dyno system out there that only spits out a flywheel estimate is ridiculous.

DD more than anyone respects the fact that the only thing it knows is at the wheel power.

It is no coincidence that the shootout graphs list all the variables like intake temp on the bottom of the graph. Put an intake temp probe near an exhaust manifold and see what results you get. Shoutout mode prints this data on the graph so there is no mystery to how the number was arrived at.

I'm pretty sure the owner of Dyno4mance is from the UK and lived in London most of his life before he came to the states.

I think we agree on certain things, but are not understanding each other online. Just know that this is not corrected to show anything strange, and that shootout mode would be higher. Have a great day.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
I'm pretty sure the owner of Dyno4mance is from the UK and lived in London most of his life before he came to the states.

I think we agree on certain things, but are not understanding each other online. Just know that this is not corrected to show anything strange, and that shootout mode would be higher. Have a great day.
I hear you. I'm not trying to be argumentative... and I will openly admit I have hardly a clue what I'm talking about

I'm just a guy that was reading the MLR before this forum began. And have been reading this forum since 2002. So here I am, used to seeing DD graphs posted just about every day for the last 7 years on the MLR.

Then I start seeing DD graphs posted on EvoM... and for one there is not all that neat data at the bottom of the graph. And I'm like, huh? Then I read about Shootout mode and I'm like, "that sounds cool..", but UK uses it but US don't? Why?

Then I see someone making a lot of power ATW considering it's a DD and on less than 28 psi, and AFR's in the 10's... and I'm like, uhhh.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removed

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jan 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

You couldn't be more wrong. Have you ever read what Shootout mode is or what it is for? All the UK Dyno Dynamics operators use shootout mode. And it has been proven several times by taking an engine from an engine dyno, into a car, and onto a DD that 24% is a good estimate to convert from Shootout power at the wheels, to engine flywheel power.

LT1 sorry to go slightly off-topic in your thread. I bet your 2.3 HTA is the bomb. I just wish I had a better orientation of how to compare DD results like this to others.

By the way LT1... your spoolup looks terrific in the dyno graph. Any chance you could log a 3rd and then a 4th gear pull on the road so we could all see how the spool is on the road ofthe 2.3 + HTA combo?

I have spoolup results for 2.4 + HTA and I would love to see yours to compare. If I recall, I make 30 psi by 4500 in 4th.
I don't want to derail this thread man, but our experience does not match yours. When we run a stock car in shootout mode on our dyno we get within 10 - 20 hp of what the manufacturer rates the car at.

I don't know how the dyno's are calibrated in the uk or how the oem's rate power in the uk but on this dyno we get within 10 to 20 hp of what the oem claims when we use shootout mode.

I'm not disagreeing with your observations, just stating that they do not match ours for U.S. cars.

In the future, if people plan to post on evom, I will try to remeber to do a shootout plot for them.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to pm myself or noise.

For now, back to LT's thread.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

removed

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jan 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Then I see someone making a lot of power ATW considering it's a DD and on less than 28 psi, and AFR's in the 10's... and I'm like, uhhh.
The afr was in the 10's because we were pushing 1000 cc/min of meth.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Took me a while to find this thread. Congrats on the new t00n, Chris! Race gas tune should be nutz
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
I don't want to derail this thread man, but our experience does not match yours. When we run a stock car in shootout mode on our dyno we get within 10 - 20 hp of what the manufacturer rates the car at.

I don't know how the dyno's are calibrated in the uk or how the oem's rate power in the uk but on this dyno we get within 10 to 20 hp of what the oem claims when we use shootout mode.

I'm not disagreeing with your observations, just stating that they do not match ours for U.S. cars.

In the future, if people plan to post on evom, I will try to remeber to do a shootout plot for them.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to pm myself or noise.

For now, back to LT's thread.
Have you ever asked Dyno Dynamics why when you run Shootout mode you get flywheel horsepower?

Seems like an obvious question to me?

Are you a Shootout mode accredited shop?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
The afr was in the 10's because we were pushing 1000 cc/min of meth.
Interesting... so you run a lower lambda when you are pushing a lot of meth than you would with gasoline? Can you explain why?

Honest question from someone trying to learn about tuning for meth injection.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yes but do you mean 500 whp DJ, DD, or Mustang
Dynojet.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting... so you run a lower lambda when you are pushing a lot of meth than you would with gasoline? Can you explain why?

Honest question from someone trying to learn about tuning for meth injection.
Map on lambda not afr as meth has a afr of something like 6-1, If you map on lambda then you aim for the same as you would on pure petrol.

Mark
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Mark... got that much down.. but if he is running 10.x:1 gasoline AFR spraying meth... then it seems to me they have decided to run a lower lambda when spraying meth than if they were running straight gasoline.

So I was just curious how you decide what lambda to run when spraying meth. Same as gasoline, or different?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
^ Have you seen the ongoing thread on this topic in the alky/nitrous forum?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Yep I followed that with interest... but I still am not 100% on reasons why lambda should be where it is. Definitely interested to hear more opinions. That said I think I'm content to think that keep lambda the same as where you would on gasoline is an ok approach.

However here is a case where they are lowering lambda on meth

Quick Reply: My HTA dyno results (more boost)