Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

COBB accessposrt p0171 + p0300 fix ATTN: U2SLO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COBB accessposrt p0171 + p0300 fix ATTN: U2SLO

ok so we all know that the cobb accessport has the ability to delete specific parameters. well yes people, im still having these 2 stupid codes pop up no matter what i do.

the p0300 code will go away but the p0171 code throws the car into limp mode and is a ***** to drive like that.

so i called cobb yesterday and had a chat. i was told that they can be turned off but....... if the state u are in checks for those specific parameters when getting an inspection, u will fail basicly. the emissions tester will come up as "not ready".

so i was told to see if i can find anything on NY state emissions laws and what they check for. well here is what i found....

New York requires all registered vehicles to have two kinds of inspection each year: a safety inspection and an emissions inspection. These are performed simultaneously at privately owned inspection stations licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
A vehicle dealer will have the car inspected before turning it over to you if you bought it from a dealership, but if you bought it privately you must have the vehicle inspected yourself within 10 days of registration.
A safety inspection costs $10 and an emissions inspection costs $27 (if you live in the New York metropolitan area) or $11 (if you reside outside this area). The $27 fee reflects the higher emissions standards around New York City that require a more comprehensive test.
It is illegal for an inspector to pass any vehicle without completing a full and proper inspection. If your car or truck fails an inspection, the inspection station is prohibited by law from performing any repairs without your approval.
Furthermore, you may take your vehicle to any other mechanic or inspection station for the repairs; you don't need to use the original inspection station for either the repairs or the retest. Your vehicle must pass both the emissions and safety inspections to be registered or for the registration to be renewed.

Emissions Inspections

According to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, "In many urban areas, motor vehicles are the single largest source of ground-level ozone, a major component of smog." In fact, the agency warns, "Automobile emissions alone account for about 60 percent of pollution in our cities."
Strict emissions standards are in place to reduce this pollution and comply with the Federal Clean Air Act, and annual vehicle inspections for gasoline-powered vehicles identify those that don't comply so that they may be repaired before becoming gross polluters.
Some vehicles are exempt from emissions inspections: vehicles one model year old or newer, vehicles at least 26 model years old, vehicles with vintage or historic plates, electric vehicles, motorcycles, farm equipment, homemade or custom vehicles in the upstate area, and diesel vehicles weighing 8,500 pounds or less.
New York recently implemented an updated vehicle inspection program. New equipment monitors the on-board diagnostic system of vehicles with a model year of 1996 and newer, transmitting the results to the DMV.
As part of this inspection, all vehicles will undergo a gas cap check, a visual inspection of the emission control devices, and a test of the chemical components of the vehicle's exhaust. This last test is more comprehensive in the New York metropolitan area, where it is referred to as the "high enhanced" emissions inspection. Outlying counties conduct the "low enhanced" emissions inspection. No matter where you live, the following emission-control devices will be examined if they were originally built into the car:
  • Positive crankcase ventilation system
  • Catalytic converter
  • Fuel inlet restrictor
  • Exhaust gas recirculation valve
  • Thermostatic air cleaner
  • Air injection system
  • Evaporative emission control
What if Your Car Fails the Test?

Usually, it's required that your vehicle pass the mandatory tests to receive valid registration, but under certain circumstances, you may qualify for a waiver. Check out the details and eligibility for an inspection waiver on the DMV's information page (scroll down until you see "Inspection Waiver"). Also see our "Emission Test Waivers" section below.
Safety Inspections

The law requires you to keep your motor vehicle in safe operating condition. Annual safety inspections should alert you to any items that need to be addressed; should your vehicle fail a safety inspection, you must have the problem repaired and present the vehicle to any inspection station for a retest. The safety inspection will examine the following vehicle components:
  • Seat belts
  • Brakes
  • Steering, front end, suspension, chassis, frame, wheel fasteners
  • Tires
  • Lights
  • Windshield and other glass
  • Windshield wipers and blades
  • Horn
  • Mirrors
The DMV provides more information about vehicle inspection, repair, and dealers as well as an informative brochure, New York State Vehicle Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks.
For details about what to do after you pass the tests, see Car Registration on this site.
Emission Test Waivers

You may apply for an emission test waiver if your vehicle:
  • Fails an on-board diagnostic version two (OBDII) inspection, but aces the safety inspection and gas cap check, and the emission control devices exhibit no signs of tampering.
  • Receives more than $450 of OBDII-related repairs but fails a follow-up emission exam.
After a failed reinspection, you will need to grab a waiver report from the inspection station that tested your vehicle. The waiver must be signed by you and an inspector. Once all signatures are in order, the inspector will retain the waiver form but issue you an inspection sticker, valid for one year.
Be sure to keep all OBDII-related repair receipts. Chances are strong you will be asked to provide documented proof of your repair claims.
Out-of-State Inspections

If you relocate to New York and register your vehicle in New York, your out-of-state emissions certificate will not be challenged. It will be considered valid until it expires. Upon expiring, however, you will need to submit your vehicle to a New York inspection.
Reporting Vehicles That Foul the Air

New York's DMV does not offer a specific phone number for reporting gross polluters. If you suspect a vehicle of blatantly violating the state's emission standards, you can try e-mailing the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation at r5dsptch@gw.dec.state.ny.us.

so if im not mistaken, i dont see anything about a lean code or a misfire code, but im no expert at this, so i need your help. please chime in and tell me what u think.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

input please
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

ok so ill talk to myself here....

just talked to COBB and they said that i could have say 2 maps, one with these 2 codes shut off and the other one with these 2 codes turned on like normal. so when i need to get inspected it should pass no questions asked.

another issue im having is, i want my EXACT map i have in the car now copied and pasted into a COBB file. this can be done but it will take some time. so this is something i have to talk to AL about. hopefully he will do it for me.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Hi, i am a mass Licensed inpector, so hopefully i can add some info that might help...

the car is hooked up to a computer that reads your ecu. It then determines your monitors readiness data and CEL's. Certain CEL are failable, some are not. Having 2 or more monitors not set by disconnecting the battery or flashing the ecu will result in a fail status. You have 60 days to fix the issue and come back for a free re test.

In this case you must drive the car until all monitors are set. Once this happens, any check engines lights that you are trying to keep off will pop up.

too rich and too lean (PO171, PO172) codes are grounds for failing the test, as they cause excessive emissions.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
Hi, i am a mass Licensed inpector, so hopefully i can add some info that might help...

the car is hooked up to a computer that reads your ecu. It then determines your monitors readiness data and CEL's. Certain CEL are failable, some are not. Having 2 or more monitors not set by disconnecting the battery or flashing the ecu will result in a fail status. You have 60 days to fix the issue and come back for a free re test.

In this case you must drive the car until all monitors are set. Once this happens, any check engines lights that you are trying to keep off will pop up.

too rich and too lean (PO171, PO172) codes are grounds for failing the test, as they cause excessive emissions.

ok so if the car has a p0171 it will fail no matter what? what if the code is reset? does it have to go through its readyness tests or something like that b4 the car will pass?

so what do u sugest? i cant find the reason for this p0171

what if i delete that parameter in the ecu? will it come up as not ready?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

If the Check Engine light is on it will Fail.If you reset the computer you will have to complete drive cycles to make the monitors run.The drive cycle's are key because you need them to run and have the Check Engine light off at the same time while the monitors are setting.
I have a SOLAS scanner I use in cars to watch the monitors run.I have gotten down drive cycles good enough to make monitors run on mostly one trip(from a cold start).The important thing to remember is to NOT HIT THE BRAKE PEDAL when doing a decel from cruiseing speed,the evap and catalyst monitor with run on decel with EGR on second decel.60-20 mph decel let off pedal twice.If you hit the brake during decel it won't run the monitors.
When you start up cold turn on rear defrost and front defrost (AC) on,that will turn oon O2 heater's and run that monitor quickly.
If you need further help PM me your number I can get you through it no problem.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Yup- light on you fail. Light missing you fail. The nyvip machine knows whether or not the light is commanded on. In NYS- being the year of your car- you can have one readiness monitor not set. 99' and older you can have 2. The key is a proper drive cycle as U2slo has indicated. Cruising and decel are key factors. I use a snap-on scanner in continual read mode and I can watch them pop off. When I have what I need to get a problem car to pass- I drive a little whacky so as not to satisfy another monitor until I get it back to home base for its inspection. If you are overdue for inspection- clear your light and go attempt to get it inspected. You will leave with a 10 day temp paper and your old sticker will be scraped.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by packrat
Yup- light on you fail. Light missing you fail. The nyvip machine knows whether or not the light is commanded on. In NYS- being the year of your car- you can have one readiness monitor not set. 99' and older you can have 2. The key is a proper drive cycle as U2slo has indicated. Cruising and decel are key factors. I use a snap-on scanner in continual read mode and I can watch them pop off. When I have what I need to get a problem car to pass- I drive a little whacky so as not to satisfy another monitor until I get it back to home base for its inspection. If you are overdue for inspection- clear your light and go attempt to get it inspected. You will leave with a 10 day temp paper and your old sticker will be scraped.
see i dont have a scanner i just use the advanced autoparts one for free. i dont feel like spending $100 on one. espically if im going to get this COBB accessport.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Are you overdue for inspection?