Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Passing emissions with TP in CO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Passing emissions with TP in CO

My vehicle is orginally from FL and the good ole' state of FL has no vehicle inspections which is great. But i'm planning on moving to FT. Collins and i have just discovered they do vin checks and emissions test if your vehicle is older than 7 years I believe. (I have an 03) so how do you guys pass it while having a test pipe? Do they only check for cel? My evo has been tuned after the tp was put in so it doesn't throw any lights.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vin inspection is only for vehicles are coming from out of state. Once it receives a colorado title, it won't need to be done again. emissions is done one every two years, both O2 sensors and catalytic converter must be present, and the car will be on a dyno for tailpipe emissions.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nisils14
vin inspection is only for vehicles are coming from out of state. Once it receives a colorado title, it won't need to be done again. emissions is done one every two years, both O2 sensors and catalytic converter must be present, and the car will be on a dyno for tailpipe emissions.
I've read somewhere that Ft. Collins doesn't have vehicle inspections. I'm assuming once its registered youre good for vehicle inspection. Dmv told me its only because its a 6-7 + year old car. I heard things are different in Denver
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Fort Collins from what I remember did not require emissions testing, however it could be different now. I know the less populated counties in CO definitely do not require emissions testing. In Denver and surrounding metro areas, if your car is 7 years and older you will need to have an emissions check. They will check under the hood and under the car for a catalytic converter and O2 sensor(s). I believe they will also perform an OBDII inspection. After that they will put it on rollers and perform a sniffer test. When talking to a reputable tuner up there I remember him mentioning that you can get your car tuned on E85 and you will have an easier time passing emissions. Might want to try call some tuners in Denver and see what they have to say.

Also they do have sniffer vans parked on freeway onramps that try to catch emissions offenders.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Fort Collins from what I remember did not require emissions testing, however it could be different now. I know the less populated counties in CO definitely do not require emissions testing. In Denver and surrounding metro areas, if your car is 7 years and older you will need to have an emissions check. They will check under the hood and under the car for a catalytic converter and O2 sensor(s). I believe they will also perform an OBDII inspection. After that they will put it on rollers and perform a sniffer test. When talking to a reputable tuner up there I remember him mentioning that you can get your car tuned on E85 and you will have an easier time passing emissions. Might want to try call some tuners in Denver and see what they have to say.

Also they do have sniffer vans parked on freeway onramps that try to catch emissions offenders.
Okay thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like too much of a pain. As long as they're not as strict as NY. Kinda sucks going to having no inspections, to having inspections though.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 01:05 PM

Vin inspections is for any car that hasn't been previously registered in colorado, it is statewide. Emissions testing is dependent on county you will reside, Ft. Collins requires emissions testing. Vehicles 1-8 model years old are exempt from testing. 8-11 year old vehicle will have a plug in obdII readiness test. 12 years or older (until 1982) will require dyno test for emissions. E85 does not make it easier to pass emissons, their equipment are able to read e85 emissions. From personal experience, just insure a cat is in place and the tune in your vehicle is emissions friendly. Roadside emissions vehicles are not in place to catch offending cars, they are there for what they call "fast pass". If your vehicle passes fast pass requirements, you will not need to take your vehicle in for emissions testing.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Vin inspections is for any car that hasn't been previously registered in colorado, it is statewide. Emissions testing is dependent on county you will reside, Ft. Collins requires emissions testing. Vehicles 1-8 model years old are exempt from testing. 8-11 year old vehicle will have a plug in obdII readiness test. 12 years or older (until 1982) will require dyno test for emissions. E85 does not make it easier to pass emissons, their equipment are able to read e85 emissions. From personal experience, just insure a cat is in place and the tune in your vehicle is emissions friendly. Roadside emissions vehicles are not in place to catch offending cars, they are there for what they call "fast pass". If your vehicle passes fast pass requirements, you will not need to take your vehicle in for emissions testing.
Looks like i'll have to run it on a dyno. What do they look for? Would i be good with lets say a high flow cat and running premium gas
Old Mar 16, 2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Womb Raider
Looks like i'll have to run it on a dyno. What do they look for? Would i be good with lets say a high flow cat and running premium gas
The dyno test looks at HC, CO, CO2 and NOx over a period of time in different aspects of driving. If your car runs well in all aspects of driving, then hopefully it should pass. Obviously you will need a cat regardless. Fuel choice could have an affect in how much emissions your car will put out, but it isn't the only solution or problem. E85 can help out but it's not always a guarantee. In my personal experiences, if its relatively stock then you should have no problems passing emissions.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

The dyno test looks at HC, CO, CO2 and NOx over a period of time in different aspects of driving. If your car runs well in all aspects of driving, then hopefully it should pass. Obviously you will need a cat regardless. Fuel choice could have an affect in how much emissions your car will put out, but it isn't the only solution or problem. E85 can help out but it's not always a guarantee. In my personal experiences, if its relatively stock then you should have no problems passing emissions.
As of right now it's relatively stock besides bolt ons. But by the time i move out there I plan to have some engine work done to it. Nothing too crazy, just reinforced pistons and rods. I'm running a test pipe with an o2 sensor and a perrin muffler but i'm guessing that alone wont fly
Old Mar 17, 2017, 09:26 AM

Bolt ons shouldn't be a problem, as long you have a functioning cat and 2 02 sensors is present, it shouldn't be too much trouble. I helped a friend pass his eclipse, he wasn't able to get it to pass. I ended up unhooking the wastegate actuator so it wouldn't boost, and it passed well. p
Old Mar 17, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Bolt ons shouldn't be a problem, as long you have a functioning cat and 2 02 sensors is present, it shouldn't be too much trouble. I helped a friend pass his eclipse, he wasn't able to get it to pass. I ended up unhooking the wastegate actuator so it wouldn't boost, and it passed well. p
Appreciate the info!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my Evo in Ft. Collins, no cat, but it was less than seven years old at the time.
The following users liked this post:
Womb Raider (Mar 21, 2017)