Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kinugawa 20G

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racer135
I installed the Kinugawa 20G last week. I am still playing with the boost and fuel map. I want to add cams so I do not want to spend too much time with the current tune. I will post pictures when I have a chance.

I also need injectors. With this turbo and stock cams I am now at 93% IDC at 22~23 PSI. I do have a walbro but still I am close to the stock injectors limit. I am sure that with cams I will be injector limited. I have a set of PTE 880 that will be installed soon.

I may take it to the dyno to test it before adding the injectors and cams to see how much power I got. With the stock 8 turbo I made 265 awhp with an TBE when I took it to the dyno. Kind of low I know, but with a very conservative self tune on the road. It feels WAYYYY stronger now.
so, what will you be tuning it with. Do you know anyone with a ecu cable so you can tune it and show us some logs?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I did some logging to compare what I have before and after the installation of the 20G on the SAME TUNE. The 20G run also has the Perrin FMIC but the tune is the same. I guess it needs to be tweeked more to get more power.

It looks like I got an additional 30~35 awhp with one more psi of boost. This was calculated using MRFred excel dyno chart. I was hoping more but I guess the stock cams are holding me up. An open air intake might help too. This is the dynochart from the evoscan data. I do not think I will go to the dyno before the cams. It is 2 hr drive and will cost me about $100 (dyno time, gas, food, beer, etc) that I can use for the cams. Torque curve looks fatter now.

Last edited by racer135; Apr 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

You have to tune it!! You probably have another 20hp more with tuning. Careful running it, you are probably getting lean with the additional air flow.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:14 AM

Tune that thing and post some results!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I know I am not leaning, when I originally changed my maps I adjusted all the cells for higher boost. I am running at about 11.0 AFR. If someone want to help or give some opinions on the tune I can post a plot of the boost, AFR and Timing. I have not post these plots it since most time people who know how to tune don't comment on charts that have timing on them.

I think the tune is not bad but for some reason the HP is kind of low. Even when I was on the stock turbo with just an exhaust only gave me 265 awhp. Now based on the plots it close to 295 awhp. I guess I will try 24 psi soon. Boost is holding preety flat to redline.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:38 PM

Those guys are at it again. Your Kinugawa unit is not made in Japan, it's from Taiwan. Same factory in fact that made Momemtum STi turbos, Evo3GTs, stole turbochargers.com's idea for reverse 20g then tried selling it against them. Notice in one of the pics on the original post on the flange there's a machined spot, that's where their casting mark was. Same stuff as Kamak. Some of their parts are decent, but QC on assembly is way off. The Yang factory, CHSH .. those guys. Their machining of critical parts such as bearing housing internals and rebuild parts doesn't reliably hit the tolerances necessary to avert failure, so they fail and fail, i believe Momentum's failure rate was 25% they told me. Unfortunately their most common failure is out of spec internals grinding which takes 3-6 months to happen, a rather insidious defect. At least their occasional exploding compressor wheels or turbine decapitation happens right away on the dyno or first run on a track. ... i could go off all day on these guys, bottom line is buyer beware.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Would have been all most worth trying this turbo for 850.00, but now ebay seller want from 1200-1600 . not gonna happen. hope you get the power outta this you are hoping for. hit the track and let us know how much your trap speeds go up. thanx
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:24 AM

any update?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Cams will be here soon so I decide to tweak a little the tune to see how much can I get out of the car before installing the cams and injectors. This is still on the stock intake tube and box. I am not sure if I will keep the stock intake for the cams. Maybe I’ll wait to see how the stock works with the cams.

This is the comparison of the stock turbo and intercooler and the new Kamak 20G and Perrin FMIC with a lillte change in the tune. Not too bad I guess.

So far turbo is working great and spools very fast considering it has bigger turbine (20G) and bigger comprssor wheel (T06SL2R).

Can't wait to install camsand see how it does. I know the 8 cams are not ver good. By redline I have pick up about 100 awhp.

Last edited by racer135; Jun 28, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My Kamak 20g is still tight after 5 months daily use. last 2 months on fast spooling e85. 30psi spikes.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:12 PM

Any updates? The dyno graph comparisons are fantastic.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Cams will be installed by the end of the month. I will not do any more changes until I install the cams because I will have to redo them after the cams and injectors.

Not sure if I will do the cams and springs install myself or take it somewhere. If I end up doing it myself I will have to buy a few tools I currently do not have.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Finally I had a chance to install the cams. I installed Kelford 272 with GSC Beehives. Cams have a very aggressive idle. Maybe too much aggressive for be but they are installed. I did a quick tune on them and I am not sure how much should I expect from the cams but based on the logs I did I got gains as follows.

Max Hp Gain: ~ 38 at 5200
Peak HP Gain: 28

Max Tq Gain: ~ 38 at 5200
Peak Tq Gain: 31

Remember these are approximations using the virtual dyno. I look mostly at the difference and not at the actual values.

Here is the plot of the car with the same mods the only difference being the cams. My car is still on the stock intake with just a drop in filter. I do want a loud DV noise.

Evo 8 with Stock Cams and Kelford 272 Cams (Kamak 20G Turbo)

This is the plot of the car with just the TBE and stock turbo vs the car with Kamak 20G; Ebay O2, Nisei LICP, Perrin FMIC and Kelford 272.

Does this looks OK? Power still drops after 6500 rpms. I am seing Aiflow of 2040 Hz by 7500.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Impressive gains. Interesting that your power still falls off like stock. The Kamak is still no Evo Green or Red.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
Impressive gains. Interesting that your power still falls off like stock. The Kamak is still no Evo Green or Red.
Turbo is still flowing more air after 6500 rpms and I am also on the stock airbox. I think it is on the tune. My car does not like a lot of timing like other. I will retouch the timing map soon.

Last edited by racer135; Aug 18, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Kinugawa 20G