Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Precision Injector Users Using E85 Beware

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
All we use is PTE injectors and we have atleast 10 E-85 cars runnign around here with 1000's of miles.. NO ISSUES.. must be something going on with this particular setup..

MIke
I hope it changes... Mike do you or have you ran 1600's?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Now feel free to check into this, but IIRC, the 1600cc injectors are a different make, different type, and therefore we cannot arbitrarily assume if one make/type is affected, than another would be.

But most importantly, if there truly is some susceptibility of the injectors sold by PTE (and other vendors) to E85, surely it would be something observed by many persons here, and so far, that does not seem to be the case. Unless numerous others report the same observation, I feel we need to view this as an isolated incident and consider that the cause of the damage may not be the fuel, but something else.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1BAMF
2 of our personal shop cars here run 1600's.. I can assure you that you cant hurt them with any type of fuel at all.. You could leave them sitting in a cup a methanol.. LOL
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1BAMF
I'm running 1600's on E85, no issues and car runs and drives with stock drivability. Its all in the tune
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
I'm running 1600's on E85, no issues and car runs and drives with stock drivability. Its all in the tune

Good stuff !! Thanks

And Ted I truely hope this is a Isolated inceodent.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
2 of our personal shop cars here run 1600's..
More like three.
Black Sheep ,White Sheep, Snoyete
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/...roducts_id=102
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

any update on this problem?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting info.

Thx for the heads up
Old Apr 1, 2009, 05:46 PM

Hmm interesting I had a set of PTE 1000cc's that we ran on E85 for a little bit and didn't have any issues, In the last couple months we switched over to the Deatschwerks 1600cc's after doing our re-search to what injector we should go with that would best work with E85 so far not a single problem car runs great no hiccups or anything and this is done on the stock ecu. If you guys are wondering about my fuel setup it go's as follows Deatschwerks 1600cc injectors / Buschur Double Pumper / Aeromotive FPR.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was about to purchase some PTE 1200cc from an online EBay vendor (BNIB). I guess this was an isolatd incident......is there a different type of PTE injector that needs to be purchased.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Ok, I've just discovered this issue with my injectors, so I have some comments.

I am sending my injectors to FIC, as is, to have Jens flow test them and determine if they are functionally affected.
Meanwhile, I am not yet convinced it is the fault of the injector. It looks to me like the high alcohol content may be dissolving something in the lines, like rubber, and carrying it with the fuel. The fuel atomizes near the injector tip, but the dissolved substance does not, and simply precipitates near the injector tip. It is also present on the backside of the intake valves. If this is the case, the good news is that the buildup should not be present elsewhere in the system.

Now, my fuel lines are Teflon, so that cannot be affected. IIRC, there are only two places in the system where rubber remains, the transfer line at the tank, and maybe a few inches if feed at the pump assembly. I'll have a look at those when I get back to the car next week and report, unless someone else is able to do it between now and then.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does the deposit desolve in gasoline? because if it does maybe it is wise to fill up with gasoline once every couple of months and to help maybe use gasoline with high amounts of cleaning agent like shell and texaco.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Ok, I've just discovered this issue with my injectors, so I have some comments.

I am sending my injectors to FIC, as is, to have Jens flow test them and determine if they are functionally affected.
Meanwhile, I am not yet convinced it is the fault of the injector. It looks to me like the high alcohol content may be dissolving something in the lines, like rubber, and carrying it with the fuel. The fuel atomizes near the injector tip, but the dissolved substance does not, and simply precipitates near the injector tip. It is also present on the backside of the intake valves. If this is the case, the good news is that the buildup should not be present elsewhere in the system.

Now, my fuel lines are Teflon, so that cannot be affected. IIRC, there are only two places in the system where rubber remains, the transfer line at the tank, and maybe a few inches if feed at the pump assembly. I'll have a look at those when I get back to the car next week and report, unless someone else is able to do it between now and then.
I had my FIC 1050s out of the car about two weeks ago. They have been used for E85 almost exclusively for the last 9 months (one or two instances where I had to use pump gas during the summer of last year). The injector tips were dry and clean when they came out of the manifold.

Based on the threads that I've read and my own experience, I'd say that the sludge is caused by something in the fuel. Whether the sludge is the substance in the fuel, or whether the substance is causing some degradation of the fuel lines or other plastic/rubber components, I couldn't say.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I just did a bit more reading on the deposit issue, and apparently in a DSMLink forum, the black residue is clamied to be a gum in the fuel. Apparently, some kind of gum product, probably from the ethanol manufacturing process, is allowed to be present in the fuel. Standard for E85 composition

Last edited by mrfred; May 15, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Precision Injector Users Using E85 Beware